Aging by Teeth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atotton

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to tell the age by teeth? I recently got a mare from and was told she is 14. In my opinion I think she is older. I have a couple pictures front on, but i can try to get more angles if needed. Thanks in advance.

Sissy's teth (1).JPG

Sissy's teth (2).JPG

I know that over time they tilt in their angle. The older the horse is the more slanted forward the teeth will be. I believe I heard this on RFD tv...I think. But in that picture the teeth are very clean compared to my girls lol.

Haa we'll she has a cute little wolf tooth hiding in there
default_smile.png
. Iam gonna go and take a picture ove my 17 year olds teeth so you can see a comparison within that age range. Then I can show you a picture of my 15 year old. Hopefully they will help. And I can hopefully figure out how to put them up lol.

This may help you some.

(Do a search on the Galvayne's Groove and that will show this groove)

Galvayne's groove. Galvayne's groove is located on the lateral surface of the upper third incisor. It appears first near the gum line at about 10 years of age. The groove extends halfway down the tooth at 15 years, and all the way down the tooth by 20 years. By approximately 25 years, Galvayne's groove is halfway gone, and by 30 years, it has disappeared completely.

The cups of the teeth are also used to help determine age.

I think bluebell summed it up perfectly and thank god because i tried taking pictures and it was a disaster. My girls stood perfectly but I was not able to hold the iPad and there mouths open then take a picture all at once. Ha I'm sure my neighbors were saying " what is she up to now".

Latest posts

Back