Ages (old?) of driving ponies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for all the great replies!! It's been uplifting and gratifying to read all the wonderful posts about the "older" ponies continuing to be useable and/or competting (!!). That is so AWESOME.

I have been driving my old pair (in fact, have been doing so toomuch and haven't worked enuf w/ babies coming up, LOL). The vet was out 2 weeks ago and did health exams on both - confirmed one in foal and the other was and lost the foal around Dec (we think). With that one old mare, we ar going to flush her system and try one last time as I'd really like a great filly to carry on with or a stud colt prospect that may do the same!

But either way, she's both still driving as a pair and as fun, fast pony single...

I hadn't even thought about the showring list of Jr vs Sr and so many breed organizzations have moved the 3 & 4 yr olds into Sr classes! If they havn't moved them, they are at least expecting them to show like a Sr horse (have a friend preparing a 3 yr old QH for showing and says that she has to be "finisheed" in a curb bit and neckreining properly for her show classes - YIKES!). Years ago, you were just starting them in a snaffle or bosal then... ah, the showring mentality too!

As far as the eyes, that was how my gelding started his uveitis. Years later he did go blind in one eye. Daughter still showed him 4H for a couple years after that. But eventually his 'good eye' had retina detachment. No more showing after that, though she still rode him. They are remarkable creatures, so adaptable.

Well now I don't feel so foolish for having my mare taught to drive at 9 years old! I have an 11-yr old gelding that is a

"steady Eddie" that my neighbor girl is learning to drive on. The mare is very alert and has a big walk. So I guess as long as we all can do it, I could be driving these a good long time!

Interesting subject. In doing my research and having visited a couple of farms now, as well as viewing many minis on line for sale, I have decided when I am ready to buy, I will be looking for an older mare or gelding...around 10 years old. I recently ground drove a 9 yr old and a 11 yr old. Both geldings. Both did great and were very patient with me as a beginner. It was a great experience and helped me learn more of what to look for and what I will feel comforable with.

Well I have a mini who will be 16 this year. I have only owned her for 6 months and was told she was trained to drive and shown in hand in her "younger years". I plan to hit the ground running this spring, slowly getting her(and I) in shape by ground driving her around our local nature park daily. I have her cart and harness and my goal to to drive her at our local driving club "fun day" in September. Hope were ready by then
default_smile.png
I think she has enough sassyness in her to put her energy to good use!!

Bit has been doing a lot of buckinhg lately in the pasture...she's the 1/2 of the pair that is now 21. Round and fat, LOL. If the rain clears, we will be hauling out to a draft horse driving function today - 1st time in a while she's been driven single...

Bell delivered a healthy silver tobiano filly on Thursday morning. A cutey that will soon be going out driving with us and her dam. They are already in great togetherness her - all set to start driving.

Can't figure out the new layout for attach8ing pics and the link above creates a HUGE red x, so here is a link to "Classy"s pic w. Bell and then you can browse thru pics.

Bit has been doing a lot of buckinhg lately in the pasture...she's the 1/2 of the pair that is now 21. Round and fat, LOL. If the rain clears, we will be hauling out to a draft horse driving function today - 1st time in a while she's been driven single...

Bell delivered a healthy silver tobiano filly on Thursday morning. A cutey that will soon be going out driving with us and her dam. They are already in great togetherness her - all set to start driving.

Can't figure out the new layout for attach8ing pics and the link above creates a HUGE red x, so here is a link to "Classy"s pic w. Bell and then you can browse thru pics.
Darn it - the link isn't working either!! https://picasaweb.google.com/purplepaintpony/ClassyBellS2012Filly#5725836412562444498

I got a lead about 2 minis. One was 27 and the other 19. The old lady says she drives that 27 year old horse around the neighborhood and she got him a harness and the old guy did just fine. The 19 year old doesn't like to get caught but the "kids" in their forties or fifties brought a six year old mini and turned it out with the 19 year old and they were racing around like crazy.

I didn't buy them in part because I am a beginner driver and both horses were used to driving a buckboard and wearing a draft style harness. I really want to drive a cart and use a normal harness. No way did I want to deal with trying to change the way two older horses have been driving for years.

I am taking driving lessons with a mini gelding that is 13. He has plenty of life in him and is very patient and sweet.

I am going to look at a ten year old mini gelding on Monday. He sounds like he is sweet and the lady who is selling him has had him since he was two years old. I am hoping to get my first mini and having seen a few of the older guys, I have no worries about getting a ten year old. We'll have plenty of years together and probably he won't run out of get up and go before I do!

Latest posts

Back