Aged horses and vaccinations

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connie P

Reaction score
I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on vaccinating horses over the age of 30???

I have recently rescued three horses that are between the ages of 25 and 35 and have vaccinated the ones that are in their 20's but I'm just not sure about the horse that is 30+.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a tough call because they are the ones that will really get hit by West Nile or Eastern & Western.

I personally wouldn't give them any flu or rhino. Maybe split the EW +T and WNV into two separate shots a couple months apart.

It's a tough call.

I agree with Journey'sEnd. Its tough to say, especially with out seeing the horse. How is its overall health. Is it in good condition, seem healthy and well otherwise or does it seem weakened or just plain 'old' I'd be talking to a vet and trying to get a professional opinion from someone who can actually see the horse.

I have a 30 year old QH mare that I quit vaccinating several years ago. The Intervet rep did not agree with me - and I may well be wrong
default_smile.png
- but she has been vaccinated regularly all of her life, and it seems to me that she might have built some immunity by now. She never goes anywhere, once in awhile I may add or take away a mare with her, but essentially she's in a closed herd. She remains well and healthy, aside from ongoing arthitis issues.

Jan

I have discussed this with my vet and he says don't do it - do not give her vaccinations - I was just curious what everyone here thought .
default_biggrin.png
I haven't really dealt with many aged horses and am learning as I go. Thanks guys!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back