Age Indications?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to know my colts age. When we got him we were given no information on him, we had someone view a stallion to buy and we got the lady that wanted to buy our stallion to have a look at Kevin's teeth and she said he was around 12 months old I think.

She didn't actually say much just we said we were thinking he was around 9 months and when she checked his teeth she said he is older than that and so I said 'Could he be around 1 year?' and she said something like 'Not really' so it sort of wasn't much help at all.

So I was just wondering if people can tell his age if I add photos? If you cant tell through photos does anyone have any tips on age indication? I have looked at his front teeth and felt his back teeth but I don't know how to indicate his age, so I am kind of just feeling his teeth and not knowing his age or anything (I have only done it once I don't go putting my fingers in his mouth for fun) I have looked briefly at diagrams on teeth but I'll have to have a proper look.

So if people can tell ages by images please let me know what angles I should get and I'll post some photos, But If it can't be told through photos, I would love some tips to help me find out myself, Diagrams or videos help too.

Thank you!

Try not to lift his head too high to take the pictures, get down to his level. Part his lips and take a picture straight on of his closed front teeth, and then do the same from the side, just his front teeth. The incisors (the front teeth) tell their age pretty good through mid-teen years by the color, shape, and angle. If he's under 5, then we shouldn't need to see a picture of the biting surface of his teeth to help determine his age. Horses like people has baby teeth and permanent teeth, so if he's only a year, he should have all his baby incisors, and if I remember right he'll start getting the permanents as a 2 year old. I'll see if I can find the age by teeth chart, there is probably one in the Info pages on the LB main site.

Alright
default_smile.png
I'll go get some photos soon!

Okay so here is the photos, I got one from the front and 2 from each side. On the front on photo it is just a piece of grass on his tooth. What do you think?
default_smile.png

It's not an exact science, and someone else with more experience may say something else, but my best guess is between 9 months and a year, the corner incisors have erupted, but aren't fully touching each other. If he was neglected before you got him, he could be behind the normal schedule, and be a bit older.

He has a pretty nice even bite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that, he was never handled same with the rest of the minis he was with, they were all just in a paddock breeding with no human handling. I am not sure if that means he was neglected or not
default_smile.png
but he surley wasn't abused or mistreated just the people who owned the miniatures were too old to do anything with them and just stopped working with them and they just kept breeding.

Oh and just another question, When is it safe to put a bridle on a horse? I have a bridle here for Kevin so I can start training him to drive (I don't have a cart or harness so I am just using my pony pad and bridle to get him used to it all and different sounds) It is my friends bridle and I am going to try buy my own smaller one for him because it is a bit to big for him and he was getting his tongue under the bit.

I have a photo of him with the bridle on (I can show it) and In my opinion it is too big, Is it normal for them not to relax? Like, its Kevin's first ever time having a bridle on and when I put it on he opened his mouth up and it did not phase him one bit, he didn't back up or move when I put it on but he just kept opening and closing his mouth when the bit was in his mouth.

Is this because its too big or is it because he isn't used to it. In my opinion the bit is a perfect size for him but the bridle hangs it down too low in his mouth. I can understand that he may be not used to it and it may be a bit uncomfortable because I can imagine if I had a piece of metal in my mouth it would take a bit to get used to, I didn't leave it on for long just in case. Am I putting the bridle on too early? I think I just need a better fit for him.

The normal reaction is then 'bleh bleh bleh.'

Honestly, don't put one on that doesn't fit, but I bit my horses ASAP. I was ground driving my pony when she was a yearling. By the time she was 2 and ready to back, she was a steering pro! I was weaving in and out of poles like a very very slow pole bender out very first ride lol

I see no harm in working a youngster, this is honestly the best time to do desensitizing. Have him pull a few little light things around, get him used to noises, etc. You have a full year before he's ready to hitch with any kind of weight, make the most of it - and he will be so simple to train then!

I was referring to poor nutrition before you got him, lack of handling wouldn't affect his physical development.

Yeah I know, I was just stating that he was never handled.

Like I said I took the bridle off him because I didn't like the fit, but 1 year will be great, gives me time to train him, find a job and purchase my own cart. My dad said that when I get a job and find a cart I like, he will buy it for me if I don't have enough money and I'll pay him back as I earn more money which is great, there are so many carts I have found and REALLY like but dad said no applying for jobs until we get back from our holiday
default_smile.png
Thanks for the help!!

It's never an exact science and opinion carts greatly. I bitted all mine as I got them (all are over 4 though) I wouldn't bit until 3ish but that's my personal preference. In horses you can but from 2 on in shows.

Latest posts

Back