Ag.Exemption in Fl. or other states

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
Our taxes will drop dramatically if we have our property ag. zoned. My understanding the easiest way in Fl.to do this is to apply as a breeder....3 mares 1 stallion. Anyone else hear of this?

This subject may get controversial as I go into my thoughts later but just wondering if anyone else uses their farm for exemptions. Thanks, heidi

In FL you can only be zoned "Ag" if you have enough land. If you also apply as a "breeder" you must show proof of profit and sales of livestock. Your best bet if you have enough land is to get a couple cattle. ;) It also depends on which county your in for specifics you should call your town hall.

In Oregon we have something called a "Farm Deferral" on property taxes. There is a minimum requirement for acreage, but I don't know what it is. The majority of the acreage has to be used to either grow a crop or raise livestock. The property is taxed but at a much lower rate.

I'm in Highlands Co. I have just under 5 acres. I went up to the office and talked with them and applied for the exemption 2 yrs ago. Based on the fact that we have a breeding stallion on the property we qualified for the exemption. No one asked about profits or anything else. It was really no big deal. I have neighbors who keep a couple of cows for the exemption. It sure saves us a LOT of money. I would at least go in and talk to them.

Good luck,

When we applied for agricultural status, they said that it would be easier to do if raising crops rather than raising horses (other livestock is more acceptable apparently). So we just brought in proof of our raising hay on our land and got it. We haven't seen yet how much it will save us in taxes but I hope it will be a lot!

Here in Tennessee you have to have 15 acres or over to be considered "In the Green Belt" which is zoned for AG tax purposes. Our taxes on that farm is $49.00 a year now. Yes it's for sale!

Thanks! The land part is not a problem as we do have about 40 acres. When we purchased this home almost 10 yrs. ago the gentleman did have ag. exempt b/c he had a small plant business many yrs. earlier and they never checked on him. We purchased it and they came out and took away the ag. as the man hadnt done anything with his plant business for a long time. In the last few yrs. taxes have sky rocketed ( no secret there !! ) and it got us thinking of what we could do. I do not want cattle or goats. And I cant grow anything!! I was just sort of hoping I could pretend to have a little miniature horse breeding farm!! I Know MY FLAME SUIT IS ON!! Actually I DO NOT want to breed..I just want the gov't to think Im breeding and showing a profit/loss. Really all I would like to do is have as many minis as I can devote time, love and afford...which I figure is really only about 3 more. No intention of ever selling any. I do have a large family that I can sell
default_wink.png
them to if I have to show a "sale". Now the tricky part is the stallion....

You are supposed to have 3 mares and 1 stallion

I am thinking I would have to show ownership of a stallion.....but he would always be at a show....oh, Mr. Ag Man, my stallion...oh he just went to the store for some eggs....oh no he's not here today either..went to visit his uncle!!

so sorry Mr. Ag Man I know you've been here 4 times this month to see my stallion...but...little Mr. Studly is very busy and not around very much!!!

Any way how would I get around the stallion thing!!

Latest posts

Back