Afterbirth...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyndiD

Reaction score
Mare just foaled around 1 and its now 5. Baby doing fantastic, but still no afterbirth and I wonder how long I should wait to call a vet...any suggestions...

I would call. Retained afterbirth can be very dangerous to the mare. Sending good thoughts!

Kay

Thanks Kay..been watching her all night. Still nothing. Vet was called and I had to leave a voice message...
default_no.gif
..waiting a little longer, if she doesn`t call will try another vet.

Just hate to have to call on Sundays...seems like no one will at least say NO so you don`t have to sit and wait...

Oh gosh... I hope she'll be okay. I'll be watching to see how that's handled. Good luck! And congrats on the foal.
default_smile.png

Anything after 3 hours is considered a retained placenta. Has it made any progress at all? Hopefully, it's out by now.

Gosh Cyndi.....I would definitely be getting a vet out there ASAP! Were you there when she foaled & you KNOW for sure it was retained? Is it hanging out of her at all & did you try tying it in a knot to help pull it out gradually? ....or do you see nothing? Sometimes, if a mare is in a very deeply bedded stall.....the afterbirth can be very hard to find. I hope you have found someone to come out to check her by now.

(AND CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW FOAL! What did you have Cyndi? We need pictures!
default_yes.gif
)

I agree with Dona - did you see the foaling? Is the mare acting OK or is she acting colicky or sick? If OK you can relax a bit - but LOOK
default_new_shocked.gif
for the afterbirth! I've had mares bury it deep. If she is acting off definitely get the vet out.

I sure hope something has happened by now and the mare is doing ok! Congrats on the foal! Let us know.

I did not see the mare foal, watching on camera and dozed off around 11:30ish and when I woke up it was 2 and he was here...actually running around!!!

I ran down to do his navel and blanket him, its COLD here right now, and the cord was just hanging. She was in a lot of pain and I lost my last banamine shot...(another story)...so I waited and been watching on the camera all night. Vet called me back and sent me home with some oxytocin and banamine paste and some tribrissen. SO, we have had 2 oxy shots so far and its hanging out further...she had her banamine and seems so relaxed now and in much less pain. For that I am thankful....still waiting on the afterbirth to finally come out. I never thought to pull on it Dona, was afraid it would break off and then I would have to hunt for it..this way I can see its still there and not out....

I hate to complain, at least the colt is doing AMAZING...and I am confident Mom will finally get this over with...I do so appreciate everyones ideas and thoughts!!!

Just to clarify--I think Dona meant tying the knot in the afterbirth so it doesn't drag and get stepped on, and letting the weight of the afterbirth itself pull the rest down. I definitely don't think she meant to pull on it otherwise... right, Dona? Tell me if I'm wrong.

So, Cyndi--I vote you did the right thing by waiting so you can check to make sure it's all out. A small piece left in is not good at all.

Sounds like things are progressing. I'm so glad! I'm looking forward to photos of that active boy.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you definitely do not want to pull on the afterbirth - what Dona was suggesting was to tie it up in a knot so the mare doesn't step on it and tear it, and so that gravity will help ease it out. Hope she passes it soon. My neighbor's big mare had to have help a couple of years ago, the oxytocin didn't work and it took the vet close to an hour to manually work it out.

Jan

we have had to take rubber gloves and fill them with water and tie them to it to help the placenta to pass... hope that helps and congrats on your new foal!

I sure hope that a vet gets out there. She'll definitely need to be flushed with antibiotics (even if she does pass it on her own at this point). If a mare still has the placenta in her after 3 or 4 hours, call a vet! That's not something you wait for; there's a very real risk to the mare's life.

Congratulations! Can't wait to see the pics.

Just hate to have to call on Sundays...seems like no one will at least say NO so you don`t have to sit and wait...
When my AQHA foaled on Easter Sunday, I had to call the vet out; the filly was large and bruised the mare pretty good. All was fine eventually, but it was a rough first night.

THANKS EVERYONE...after the second oxytocin shot she passed it!!!
default_wub.png

I was so exhausted from watching her all night I fell asleep on the futon and just now woke up. She is doing fine now and I will have her flushed and checked tomorrow.

Will get some photos for you. A medicine hat colt, thought was bay, but last time I was in the barn with mama......his "hat" was black.
default_laugh.png

I think I needed some sleep...this all night stuff is making me goofy.

What a relief!!!
default_saludando.gif

Has your vet said to check the placenta to make sure it is ALL THERE?

My first mini mare had a short cord and retained placenta. No vets available (called every one in the book). Finally after 6 hours a vet that was not about to come out for a mini mare told me to put slight pressure on the placenta. The pressure needs to be out and down. Not straight out and not strait down. He told me I had to be very careful because I could rip her uterus and she would bleed to death. Nice vet. He was less than 5 miles away. I told him I just needed some oxyticin. He insisted this would take care of the problem. So I did it and she hunched up and passed the placenta. I would not recommend any one do this kind of thing unless they are very experienced. But with no vet and no oxytocin, you have to do something.

Katiean brought up a good point.........If you are breeding more than one or two mares, it's probably not a bad idea to ask your vet for some Oxytocin to keep on hand. It isn't expensive, but it's worth its weight in gold when you need it. When it expires, we ask our vet for a few more doses.......They don't care.

Latest posts

Back