After several years of looking...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight star stables

Reaction score
I've been waiting a loooong time to share this!
default_new_multi.gif

I’ve been looking for my dream mare for several years now. I’ve turned down some stunning horses but I was just waiting for that special one. (There was one gelding that I am still sorry we didn’t act on faster, but aside from him.) I wanted a show horse for the next several years for both halter and driving. I have been blessed with my current halter mare, and my current driving gelding who have both surpassed my expectations many times over. I have been wanting a new project for a while now.

Well, it started in March – Foaling season. Every year I watch the websites of a number of farms to see their adorable foals. I don’t have any of my own, so I love looking at the foal photos.
default_wub.png
I was home from college one weekend, and one farm posted up a video of their first foal of the year. My mom and I adored watching the videos of this fillies’ first steps. We didn’t think much of this back then, but this was the start of something special. In the following days/weeks, when more videos were posted of this filly, we began to look forward to seeing her grow. She was so cute and correct, with all the sass in the world. I was smitten beyond words soon.
default_wub.png
I inquired and she wasn’t really for sale. I asked if we could work something out, but when I did get a price she was out of my price range. I was devastated, but after thinking about it, I knew that this was just something I had to do. I got a loan.
default_smile.png
Well, I have only been thrilled with this filly every day since.

This stunning weanling is sired by a horse named Michigan's Silver Desperato(HOF). Desperato is a 2001, 2002, and 2003 National Champion; and 2003 Reserve National GRAND Champion Single Pleasure driving horse. As a sire, he has produced some of the best horses of today. He is sire of National Champions: Miss Kitty(a personal favourite and sister to my filly), Black Bart, Jesse James of Rivenburgh, Hopalong Cassidy and Reserve National Champions: Marshall Dillion, Calamity Jane, and Mae West to name just a few! There are also numerous National Top Ten foals too. As impressive as that is, everyone knows that a great broodmare is just as important. Michigan’s Half Pence(HOF) is her dam. This mare is a 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006 National Champion and 2003 Reserve National GRAND Champion Over Mare in halter. She too, has a long line of neat foals, including National Champions: Miss Kitty, Calamity Jane and Reserve National Champions: Marshall Dillon and Magic in the Heir.

Now I bought the filly before I knew any of the above “fame”. I didn’t even know that she was a full sister to an “A” size horse I adore – Miss Kitty. Heck, I bought a “silver” horse (even though I really don’t care for the silver gene/look) and she turned out black – my favourite! Like I said, I have only been thrilled even more with this filly every day.

So who is this filly that stole my heart?

She goes by the name of McCarthy’s Lonesome Dove. She is so cute! She is simply built to the hilt and has such a tiny dished head. She has a huge, strong hip too. She has the longest legs I have ever seen on a miniature foal, she looks identical to an extremely small thoroughbred foal. She has to spread her legs wide apart to reach the grass. Today was the first time that I finally met this special filly and she is everything I could have asked for and then some on top of that! She even has started her own legacy with an outstanding show career already. She is just too neat and I look forward to getting good pictures tomorrow.

I want to send out a HUGE thank you to Ed McCarthy and the whole McCarthy family. They were truly wonderful to work with and have a world of knowledge. They have a barn full of absolutely breath taking, gorgeous horses – each with a show record a mile long and an impressive history. I feel so honoured that they trusted me with a horse like Dove. My only hope is that I can represent Dove in a manner that does her name proud.

Thanks for letting me share, here are a few pictures to tie you guys over until tomorrow!
default_biggrin.png
I know what it’s like not to see pictures.
default_wink.png

Dovesm1.jpg

Dovesm2.jpg

Dovesm3.jpg

Thanks for letting me share!...
default_blush.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Congrats I am a fan of hers and actually have no idea how but I knew who you were talking about before I finished your 2nd paragraph

Beautiful beautiful baby how very exciting for you

Congrats! I love it when people are thrilled with their horses! I'm looking forward to more pics!

Congratulations! She's fantastic! I bet it's an awesome feeling to see her standing in YOUR barn.

WOW!!! Congratulations, Desiree!!!!! What a beautiful baby she is! I wish you the best of luck with her.

Do you know how to pick 'em, or what? She is absolutely beautiful! Here's to a wonderful partnership for the two of you.

Oooo!! Congratulations Des! I am sure you are over the moon and I am totally excited for you! She is absolutely beautiful. You are going to have many awesome years ahead and I am sure that it's going to be an incredible ride and it couldn't happen to a nicer person. You go girl!!! When can Auntie Kim come and play?????
default_rolleyes.gif
default_wub.png

Many, many congratulations!! What a beautiful filly!
default_wub.png
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

My very best wishes for a long, happy and successful future for you both.

Anna

Stunning!!!!! She won't let you down, you can just "see it". Congrats.

Congrats!! I also remember seeing her videos when they were posted on FB...lovely filly!!!
default_wub.png

I am so glad to know the three of you are home safe and sound! She is just GORGEOUS Des and I am soooo happy for you!!!

Seeing YOUR filly standing at centre ring at Nationals made my Nationals for me this year. The only thing better would have been having you sitting beside us!

Really looking forward to seeing you show her next year!!!

Congratulations! The McCarthy's are wonderful people! We have a full brother and half brother of Dove's here for training. McCarthy's Marshall Dillon, HOF (AMHR/ASPC) and McCarthy's Wild Bill Cody. They are both full of personality and I'm sure you're just going to love her!

dillonnationals08bfw.jpg

Dillon

cody2010areavbfw.jpg

Cody

Congratulations Desiree, what a beautiful filly. Walt and I wish you much success with her.Hope to see you again next year. take care Frannie

Congratulation Desiree on the purchase of Dove. You will kick butt in the show ring with her next year. I can't wait to see her again. I saw her when I was at nationals. The McCarthy's are amazing people. I bought JC's Jackie O from them at the beginning of the year very help full & just fantastic people. It's a shame we don't have any more shows this year!!!! Till next year. Congratulations.(Hope to see you at the Banquet in November)

Tracy Sammons

Congratulations Desiree !! She is indeed lovely -- admired her at the Nationals.Yes, the McCarthy's are wonderful people -- wish you good luck showing her.

I want to thank you all for your kind words about Dove. I can only say that I am so impressed with her! She is so calm and quite. I am surprised that she is so level headed, even though she is just a weanling.
default_wub.png
She is too cure, and I thought I'd post a few pictures from today.

Dovemed4.jpg

Dovemed1.jpg

Dovemed6.jpg

Dovemed3.jpg

Dovemed5.jpg

She is just so so sweet and enquisitive. I have never meet a miniature like her.
default_blush.png

I didn't know that so many people knew who this filly was. I feel really honored to be able to look into her stall and she her cute little face looking back.
default_wub.png

Lisa, you must have a 6th sense! Tiffany, yes it is! I don't know how to even describe it!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
Thanks Judy and Susanne, I'm looking forward to working with her. I think she is going to make a very special driving horse one day. Thanks so much Kim, and you are welcome any weekend! It's be great to visit with you guys any time!
default_cheers.gif
Thanks Anna, Bess, Linda, Genie and Amy! Lori, she DOES give the greatest kisses! But don't tell Trevor, LOL! And I'll have to buy that center ring picture for your next ad
default_wink.png
Carin, both Dillon and Cody are Stunning horses! I hope she grows to look like either! Mary, I think she is overo! She has what I think is Sabino as she has several white blended hairs. I also figured, many years down the road she'll cross well with a nice frame overo stallion. Besides, with a face like that, she is very close to being an overo.
default_wub.png
Frannie, thank you so much. I can hardly wait to see you again too. If I had more room, just one more stall, I'd add one of your horses.
default_blush.png
Tracy, I didn't realize that you got Jackie from them, she is wonderful! I too am hoping to be at the banquet so I'll see you then.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back