After colic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilhorseladie

Reaction score
My little trip coliced on Aug 23, after two bouts in that night and tubing him, he was deemed better by the vet and sent back home. My question is, he is much more mellow than before his illness. I mean he still nibbles and acts like a baby, but doesn't seem as energetic. Is he still ill or did all that time laying in my lap just mellow him out? I want him to be healthy. He is only 21/2 months old. Also, where can I purchase the probiotics and how often would you suggest giving them? Do a lot of you give that to minis reguarly? All minis or just those suseptable to colic? Thanks in advance.

Sorry trip is still not feeling good...I've only had one episode w/colic in over 15 yrs of owning horses (owned all full sizers until last year)...and of course who coliced was one of my minis last year, he was 1 1/2 yr old and I only had him about 5 months...I totally freaked. He was feeling better within 36 hrs...not totally normal, but eating well, didn't seem as energetic, probably wasn't totally himself until the 3rd or 4th day. I'm sure they are all different and age probably has something to do with it as well as the severity of the colic. I would think by now though that Trip should be OK, but not sure since I've only had one experience...I am posting to bump this up...maybe someone else has some suggestions. Good luck...Hugs to Trip!

Trip should be back to normal already, ours are almost right away. I would suspect possible ulcers instead, foals are really prone to them, you might want to check with the vet to make sure.

I agree with Jody that he may have been mis-diagnosed like mine once---treated for colic when it was ulcers. Should have bounced back by now. This is only my humble opinon.

After Serenade's colic, she developed ulcers and coliced three more times. After I got her on Gastragard, she was fine. That is wonderful stuff. Expensive, but it sure does the trick. Even if he doesn't have ulcers, it will not hurt him to treat her with it. Ask your vet. I also started giving flax seed (ground in a coffee grinder). I took her off hay and started feeding her Complete Advantage by Purina. It took several weeks (actually a few months) before she started acting herself. Serenade was VERY sick for a long time. But she's great now! I'd look after his little stomach if I were you. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back