After a long search...my new Mini!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmejemima

Reaction score
Well, after losing my little Chico last August, I've been searching on again, off again for another. Chico was the first mini I ever had and until now the only Mini I'd ever had. He was basically kept alone his entire life. We have full sized horses, but Chico's attitude towards them forced us to keep him apart. He could see and talk to them, but not "be" with them.

So anyway, my plan was to get a couple colts (weanling to yearling age) and keep them together so that they'd have buddies, then have them gelded, etc.

I actually found two colts not to far away that the owner wanted to go to a home together, they are brothers, 4 and 6 years old, both silver bays. I was all set to go see them today, but she had company coming and we had to schedule it for tomorrow.

So we were riding around today since our "road trip" had been postponed when I remembered an ad that I had e-mailed about several months ago. One of those "I have tons of horses, different ages, colors, etc." kind of things. I had the phone # but had never called. Since we had no other plans, I figured that we had nothing to lose in calling them up and seeing if they still had anything available. Which they did.

Off we go.....they had about 30 minis, mostly mares. I saw one stallion that was running with the mares, 2 weanling age colts that were in a separate pasture, and 2 colts (1 was 4 weeks old, the other was born last night). Probably 75% of the mares couldn't really be touched. There was a few that would come up and take carrots from your hand and that was it.

The lady pulled out a little bay/white pinto filly (she said she was 3 years, but she just didn't "look" it, you know what I mean? She looked a lot younger to me.) While she was getting her, I turned around and saw this little girl that had been hidden behind the round hay bale. It was like love at first sight. I walked to the fence, she trudged through knee deep muck to get to me, and I couldn't take my hands off her. The woman said that they called her "Black Beauty" and that she was the sweetest one they had.

I'm bringing her home tomorrow!!

dixie7-3-051.jpg

We guessed her height at about 30-31", just by where her withers hit my leg (we didn't have a tape measure with us)

She's supposed to be a 3 year old, due to foal in December.

I don't know, that belly looks pretty dropped down to me. She hasn't started a sack yet or anything and wasn't concerned whatsoever with me messing with it.

We've got to work on that bridle path!!
rolleyes.gif

dixie7-3-052.jpg

What do you think her color is? I was told that her mother was identical to her in color, but they never said anything about her sire.

She's supposed to be bred to a buckskin. What colors would that combination produce?

This is the muck she was in...that's her in front of the hay bale and the 4 week old baby in front of her.

dixie7-3-053.jpg

The pasture they were in ..... little to no grass....

dixie7-3-054.jpg

I'll have to post her cleaned up pictures once I get them.....

Thanks!

OMG I love that mare! Wha a sweetie! I think I would call her a Liver Chestnut? Some livers also have the flaxen mane and tail but I like it this way, Reminds me of my little mare in the Avatar but she is dark Bay, just live/choco. when just roughly clipped.COngratulations!

She looks like she loves you already!(partly for geting her out of the muckLOL)
biggrin.gif
Can't wait for more pictures and what will you call her?

Maxine

What a great story! I think it was destiny you found this mare. She is soooo cute - wild bridlepath and all. I'll be watching for new pics once you get her cleaned up. Congratulations on another mini!
wub.gif

She looks like she loves you already!(partly for geting her out of the muckLOL)  Can't wait for more pictures and what will you call her?
Sorry, I forgot her name!!
wacko.gif
rolleyes.gif

I'm going to call her Dixie. Black Beauty doesn't fit because she's NOT black!

What a great story! I think it was destiny you found this mare. She is soooo cute - wild bridlepath and all. I'll be watching for new pics once you get her cleaned up. Congratulations on another mini! 
I think it was too. When I turned around and saw her standing there, it was like the "oh, ah, oh" orchestral music thing....hmmm, that's hard to explain!
unsure.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
She's very pretty and looks very sweet. We can tell she's very special to you and I'll bet she'll be so happy she found you!
yes.gif

She looks like a doll baby. Are you going to get her a friend?

Congratulations!!
smile.gif
I can't really tell what color she is by the pics (she's nice and shiny tho isn't she?). I'd guess either a liver chestnut or a very dark bay? "Seal brown" was the first color that came to mind, though there is no such thing, genetically anyway.
wink.gif

She's very pretty, Congratulations!! I presume then, no papers?? I also think she is Brown, it is genetically the same as Bay so depending on whether or not the sire also has Dun and Chestnut you could get a Grullo, a true Dun, a Buckskin, Palomino, Chestnut, Well, actually from that combination, depending on what the parents of the two animals had in their background, short of Appy and Pinto, there actually isn't much you can't get!! So I'm voting for a pretty little filly that is green with pink spots all over!! And I hope all goes well for you and her.

Oh she is pretty!!!! I love the story of how you came to find her
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
I think she is seal bay
yes.gif

Nice story, some things are just meant to be, now where's the 2nd one you needed?
biggrin.gif

Dimimore said:
Nice story, some things are just meant to be, now where's the 2nd one you needed?
biggrin.gif

416660[/snapback]

Well, at the moment, I believe that it's in her tummy
biggrin.gif
....at least for the next few months or so, she'll either be alone or I'll come across someone else that needs a good home.

As far as her color goes, to all who've guessed for me.....I don't really think she's any shade of bay because she doesn't have "true" black points. Her lower legs are darker yes, but they are a darker brown.

She's very fat and shiney....was obviously one of the alpha mares because we saw her running mares off that were lots bigger than her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Browns do not have black points like true bays. I still think she is Borwn!!

I have a mare exactly the same color...............I call her a chocolate Chestnut...........Carrie

Liver Chestnut. Or she could be a very faded black, but im gonna go with my first answer.

Latest posts

Back