After a long, long time...I'm back, with a new life

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrana

Reaction score
It has been ages since I've been here. Hello again, everyone.

A little over a decade ago (2004), I found my first (and still only) mini via this community. Firefly is still with us, 16 years old and still every bit of the fiery red headed mare.

My life has turned upside-down, though, as severe medical health issues forced me to take a medical retirement from teaching after 17 years in the classroom. I had brain surgery in January and am doing absolutely amazing in comparison to where I was before, but it is clear I still have neurological issues.

In the midst of my health storm, Firefly was trained to drive as I struggle with balance and strength issues. She's been amazing--absolutely incredible in how quickly she took to training, and how incredibly responsive she is to cues.

I'm hoping to take her to her first driving show on Sunday, not to participate, but just to get her exposed to the atmosphere. Next month we may venture a class or two.

As for my biggies...well, I lost my beloved screennamesake in 2011 to degenerative suspensory ligament disease, and then I just lost my newer boy(had him exactly 3 years) to a persistent, nasty, nightmare of a colic a couple of weeks ago. Three emergency vet calls in 3 days weren't enough to save him. Oof...my heart is still raw from this. It was awful.

I will not be getting another full sized horse until I know I am physically capable of safely handling one again--which rather breaks my heart.

Which is why I'm glad Firefly is there to pick it up for me.

11218485_10206910498420429_7847559725348050525_n.jpg

Not sure what all to say!

Welcome to the forum as it is now (I wasn't here when u were before).

WOW - what a lot of live changers. SOOOO glad that things are looking up for you now. Know that we here at the Forum can listen anytime and take care of yourself. Great to know that your mini is there to "catch you" now.

Welcome back! Firefly is still gorgeous and looks good in harness. I'm so sorry to hear of your health issues and wish you continued improvement. I'm sorry to hear you lost your Ferrana Moniet, she lived a long happy life with you I'm sure she knew she was loved and you did right by her. And also sorry about your colic emergency, most all of us can understand and feel your pain in that respect. Isn't it wonderful though how our animals keep our hearts full of love even when we face terrible trials and tribulations? Maybe one day you'll be able to ride again and have more big horses, in the meantime you and Firefly can have some relaxing fun in the cart.

Firefly looks simply beautiful!! Wishing you improving and continued health, and lots of wonderful times with Firefly!!

Thank you so much for the welcome back. I feel those welcoming cyber-arms.
default_smile.png

Yesterday was our first driving show, and I actually hitched up and went in a couple of classes. :D We were justifiably (and clearly) last in every class, but did NOT care. I'll make a separate (and likely pic-heavy, hee!) post about it.

Welcome back!! Firefly looks amazing. I am so glad he was there to help you thro lifes "adventures".

I hope it keeps getting better and better for you!

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

Latest posts

Back