After 34 yrs....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
I got my 1st pony when I was 9 yrs old....and have owned at least one horse (big or small) since then (except for a few spots where I'd sold a horse then waitted til I found another one to buy)...and I just sold my last horse today
unsure.gif
I sold Talent (and my trailer, carts, harness, etc) to a wonderful lady who plans on showing him, so I will still get to see him at the shows.
aktion033.gif

I thought I would be sad about this, since I had worked really hard at building up my herd over the years and Talent was my "dream stallion" when I bought him 5 yrs ago. But, I dont know...Since I started dispersing my herd 2 yrs ago, Ive learned a lot about whats important "outside" of horses and have come to terms with my dreams coming to an end (it was a grieving process, trust me)...at least for the time being. I never say never...I dont know what the future holds for me...But, I will say that I am optimistic that I am headed in the right direction...without horses (at the moment).

I am newly single (again...after being in an emotionally abusive relationship for the past 4 months), actively seeking new employment, own a brand new car, my kids are "almost" out of the house (
aktion033.gif
lol), and I am having fun making lots of new friends in other areas of my life. Being 43 feels great on me!
wink.gif

OK, I should add that my daughter still has her horse, but she is going off to college in a few days and leaving her horse behind. We are working to find a "lease" home for him, since she wouldnt dream of selling her horse, so in the meantime, I get to care for him.

Horses will always be a part of me and I will be going to watch people Ive come to know thru the years at the shows around here and hopefully see "my" horses at these shows for years to come. I hope that the friends Ive made thru this site will remain so, even tho I am horseless now, because you all mean a great deal to me...

And, who knows, maybe in the future, there is a new start waitting for me...with horses again....one can only hope (and dream), right???
yes.gif

You're right to "Never say Never". The very best to you in whatever the future holds. I went horseless for about 28 years - and now I have minis.

Barbie

i do identify with you... i have had horses all my life, beginning at age 14 with my first, went through a divorce and had to leave them behind to rebuild, just like you, but within 5 years of the divorce had a whole new life which could include horses again. another 5 years after that our first little farm where I could keep horses without having to hustle for board with extra jobs, and the past 15 years we have had our own place and I have had horses in my life every day. Now we are getting ready to retire. Life has its seasons and I am experiencing the onset of what is Indian Summer. We are in good health and my husband has supported my horse hobby all these years. He has dreams of travel and for our last few good years I want to make his dreams come true like he made my horse dreams come true. I am finding good homes for all my horses too, saying goodbye, but taking my time to make sure when I am in my city home I will not look back and worry what ever happened to all my beloved 4 legged "children"......life changes, you get as much out of it as you put into it. You will be fine, I can tell from what you wrote. Hugs and good luck to you as you embark on a new life adventure.
aktion033.gif

We were horseless for a few years. We got over it and got into the minis. We are at out limit though. We did say that it was fun so as long as it remains that way we are going to keep them. I am sure there are really more and more people wondering why they are doing this horse thing. When they had just a few horses it was fun and then things grew to the point where its actually work rather than a hobby. Trust me its much better as a hobby.

<<Hugs>> Linda. If you ever need a horse fix, I am not that far away. You are more than welcome to come and visit mine.
wink.gif

Ask Susanne, they love visitors!!

Best wishes to you on your new path and what ever the future holds for you.

I got my first pony 30 years ago, a little silver bay shetland named champion.

I think my first word was horse!!
laugh.gif
I spent every waking moment with my horses and sometime not so awake moments, I will never forget the time I was riding my second horse ,Penny, I had been riding since before daybreak and of course didnt want to get off my horse, guess what, a six year old can not sleep sitting up on a horse, I fell asleep and hit the ground
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I used to just go hop on my horse and hit the dirt road, no saddle or bridle, just the halter.
new_shocked.gif

With two teens I cant put in that kind of horsey time today and dont think I would be brave enough to ride like I did when I was young.
biggrin.gif

Linda,

Glad to hear you are out of a bad relationship, sorry I had a gut feeling that was bad news from the start. Having horses when it's the right time in your life is a joy but realizing and having the fortitude to release yourself from it when it's not shows much wisdom, I think. You will know when it's the right time again, I'm sure.

If you ever come across it, The Alchemist is a wonderful book that really refreshes one's concept of personal destiny. I especially love the part that said when you want something the entire universe will conspire to get it for you. Although that means you must be really careful what you wish for
yes.gif

Best wishes for fresh start and that many good things will come to you.

Linda--

I'm sorry to hear that you had to sell Talent, but am happy that you are "coping" well enough. I hope your horsie dreams start up again in the near future.

I, like Shari and Susanne, love visitors. You know you are always welcome to come play with my boys anytime you want. Now that Tango is a gelding, he is such a sweetie. You could take him for walks around the property (we have tons of acreage thats "wooded") or just sit and groom him. And on those days that you are missing that "wonderful" stallion behavior, Chip is always there to make you "work", lol. He's a good old boy, but demands a little more attention than Tango.

Please keep in touch, you should have my email.

Erin
saludando.gif

I just wanted to encourage you. My parents started me riding when I was two years old. I had a 36" shetland mare who was the sweetest most patient girl and I found every way to be around horses my whole growing up years. My dreams were to breed horses someday and when I got married it looked like that dream would come true. I had a gorgeous welsh mare from excellent bloodlines who gave me two fillys from two different stallions. I had just purchases a stallion who was so incredible to watch I actually cried the first time I saw him really move out. But I also had to get out of an abusive relationship and was forced to sell everyone when we divorced.

But you know, as sad as I felt at the time it was good. I had several years to heal and decide where and who I needed to be and now the horses are back. You'll be okay. And it's obvious you have a world of friends who love you and will be there for you.
smile.gif

I'm glad that you are having such an optimistic outlook when you could be really discouraged instead. I hope things go well for you and you find true abundant life.

It sounds like you have made some major changes in your life, and all for the better. I'm so glad that you are seeing your glass as half full, and your future is filled with nothing but opportunities.

I also went horseless for many years - I got my horsey "fix" by going to horse shows, parades, even barns! So who knows where your future will take you. But it all sounds good for you!!!

Best,

Liz

Thanks everyone for your thoughts...I am doing well and am very optimistic in regards to my future...Even tho I havent a clue where life will lead me...Its OK, Im up for the next adventure!
yes.gif

Thanks Shari and Erin for your invitations...I may take you up on that sometime...lol...altho I do still have my daughter's gelding to love on for now...
wub.gif

I check in here periodically, but I rarely post anymore...I still like to see how everyone is doing...so I will say
saludando.gif
every once in awhile!
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back