Advise please on older broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great! If you only get a little I would check color and then ph. Sticky can be helpful but it can change right before or days before. Ph is usually a much better indicator. In fact they say that 90% of mares foal within 24 hrs after testing 6.4. Hardness can be helpful but it varies more. Usually you dilute the hardness but it requires a lot of milk. So you can just test it and see what it is but know it shows higher than it actually is. However it does show the normal jump.
What hardness am I looking for?

Ok, I think I got everything:
Milk is still clear,
doesn't run,
sticky the third time I tap my fingers together,
pH was 8 last night and this morning, 7.2 tonight,
hardness not diluted is 250.
She still has her lip stuck out, whatever that means. She's feeling something.
Her udder is more sensitive, I don't know if I'll be able to get more to test in the morning, I'll see.
Pictures from tonight:
IMG_20200713_183620.jpgIMG_20200713_183555.jpgIMG_20200713_184056.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200713_183608.jpg
    IMG_20200713_183608.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 9
Perfect pictures! That udder does look close. With the ways she been you are being wise to keep a close eye! Usually hardness will spike as ph drops. So seeing the base calcium might be a good way to measure if ph drops for real. I expect the vulva will look better soon too.

Okay so I asked a friend of mine who has bred minis for a long time. She says she wouldn’t be surprised to see a foal in 48 hrs. She suggests just take pictures for the next 24 hrs unless you see a big change. I described how she has fluctuated so much with ph and she said be ready. I know you are though! Hopefully it’s very soon!

He's doing great, vet just left, he has a clean bill of health. He was up in 10 min but didn't even try to nurse for at least 45min. I gave him a syringe of milk at about an hour and he finally got interested but didn't figure it out for another hour. Now he doesn't want to stop!
I would love to say I was a star and was there when he was born, I was there about 30 seconds after he was on the ground. I woke up at 12 ish and looked and Tilly was eating and relaxed. After getting up to pee, (thank you Maryann!!!!!!) I was wide awake so watched her for a bit instead of resetting my alarm and going back to sleep. Her stomach started dancing and that went on on and off for about 1/2 hour with Tilly swishing her tail now and then but just eating. Then she lay down and did her heavy breathing routine, got up, had some hay, wandered around a bit, lay down and did the heavy breathing again. At that point I was wondering/hoping she was going into labor. Well, she lay flat on her side and stared pushing. I ran out of the house and by the time I got to her stall he was on the ground, she was up and had the sack off his head and was licking him. The placenta was layed out behind him. It had ruptured but the sack hadn't, it was still over his front legs, only his head and neck out. I would have been there in time but way to go Tilly!!!!!!
I'm guessing he's a black pintaloosa? He has a lot of grey/roaning in the black on his body and a light muzzle. Ideas? No name yet.......
IMG_20200714_094920.jpgIMG_20200714_094407.jpgIMG_20200714_085217.jpgIMG_20200714_094433.jpgIMG_20200714_094934.jpgIMG_20200714_094947.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200714_085159.jpg
    IMG_20200714_085159.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 14
He's doing great, vet just left, he has a clean bill of health. He was up in 10 min but didn't even try to nurse for at least 45min. I gave him a syringe of milk at about an hour and he finally got interested but didn't figure it out for another hour. Now he doesn't want to stop!
I would love to say I was a star and was there when he was born, I was there about 30 seconds after he was on the ground. I woke up at 12 ish and looked and Tilly was eating and relaxed. After getting up to pee, (thank you Maryann!!!!!!) I was wide awake so watched her for a bit instead of resetting my alarm and going back to sleep. Her stomach started dancing and that went on on and off for about 1/2 hour with Tilly swishing her tail now and then but just eating. Then she lay down and did her heavy breathing routine, got up, had some hay, wandered around a bit, lay down and did the heavy breathing again. At that point I was wondering/hoping she was going into labor. Well, she lay flat on her side and stared pushing. I ran out of the house and by the time I got to her stall he was on the ground, she was up and had the sack off his head and was licking him. The placenta was layed out behind him. It had ruptured but the sack hadn't, it was still over his front legs, only his head and neck out. I would have been there in time but way to go Tilly!!!!!!
I'm guessing he's a black pintaloosa? He has a lot of grey/roaning in the black on his body and a light muzzle. Ideas? No name yet.......
View attachment 41869View attachment 41870View attachment 41871View attachment 41873View attachment 41874View attachment 41875
Oh is he ever beautiful! Congratulations, Taz!!! What a sweetie!! So, was he worth the wait? 🥳 ;)😍

He’s beautiful! I believe black tobiano. If you look up foal camo on a black foal the light roaning is normal and will disappear after the first foal shed. However that’s just from pictures. Dam is not appy. Is the sire? If he’s not than the colt can’t be. That said, he has a lovely pattern!

Thank you elithabeth.conder. Dads pintaloosa. I'll see what he is when he sheds out, it really doesn't matter. He's a double decker oreo 🤣.

Oh is he ever beautiful! Congratulations, Taz!!! What a sweetie!! So, was he worth the wait? 🥳 ;)😍
The wait, the worry, the sleepless nights, yup all worth it. Although, I did just wake up from a 2 hour nap and casually walk out to check on them instead of a 30-45 min nap and wake up panicked and run out to check. Your turn will come sooner than you think, you should only have a max. of two months about. You can do that for the most wonderful little munchkins😊

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had so much catching up to do...I had two of my girl cousins over since Saturday so I got way behind! Taz and Tilly, he is perfect! 😍 😍 😍 😍 😍

Reactions: Taz

Latest posts

Back