Advise please on older broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, for those of you wondering about Snickers and maybe Pepper, here are some pics. Still a ways to go for Snickers I think. Who knows with Pepper? Any thoughts? She has gained some weight (food hog). Snickers almost always carries her little one length wise. Right after I took the photos, baby went sideways! (1) Snickers side view udder (2) Pepper side view udder (3) Snickers profile (4) Pepper rear view (5)Pepper profile. All taken 7/10/20. Still looking for more expert opinions!! Some days I think Pepper is pregnant and other days I just don' know....

View attachment 41839View attachment 41840View attachment 41841View attachment 41843View attachment 41842
How big was Snickers belly when the foal went sideways? Hang in there, I think this is the most frustrating, crazy making thing I've ever done with horses, it goes on so long without any idea what's going to happen. 🤣 🤪 o_O

How big was Snickers belly when the foal went sideways? Hang in there, I think this is the most frustrating, crazy making thing I've ever done with horses, it goes on so long without any idea what's going to happen. 🤣 🤪 o_O
She was pretty big. About 10 minutes later, baby flip flopped the other direction again. Probably just trying to get comfortable I guess. Snickers is a bigger than my other minis. The father is smaller, I think even smaller than my stallion. Maybe the baby will show as smaller too? Not sure.

She is adorable Jodie! Can I ask how you did her mane? Looks like a braid or pony tail? Been looking for ideas on doing mane and bangs..Bought a braiding book which is lovely, but a little too fancy for just hanging out at home.
Thank you :) I literally just plopped it up in a ponytail as it’s so poofy you can’t see her belly with it down lol Ah a braiding book sounds great! I used to love getting the horses all pretty for showing (haven’t done that in a lot of years though!)

Sorry Pitter Patter, I can’t remember off the top of my head, but did Snickers and Pepper come from the same place?

I would think that there’s a good chance Pepper is too then, as Snickers is and they’re from the same place and same herd - given that Snickers was obviously exposed to a stallion, if she and Pepper were in together then it stands to reason that the stallion got to Pepper too (though of course she may not have caught/could have slipped the foal) I may be wrong of course being a newbie to this part of owning horses, but those are my thoughts.

Last edited:
That's great, you know the little one is still doing well 😊. Have you been able to see any changes in her back end? Izzy is about 34 inches, Ollie was about 10lbs when he was born and has finished at 28inches and very fine build, I have no idea about his dad. The foal could easily be smaller I would think. Poor Snickers, it sounds like she has an active munchkin too.
I agree with Jodie about Pepper.

I didn't think she could be much longer 2 months ago! 🤣
She has to just be waiting on the munchkin to give the green light. She's been fussy the last few nights between 8-10, that's the same timing as when I thought she was in labor a few weeks ago. Izzy did that, she was fussy around the same time she foaled for a few weeks leading up to it. I'm hoping it's only days more for Tilly not weeks, but it would be wonderful if she would stick to that timing. I got the tiniest drop to test this morning and her ph is still up at 7.8/8. Still cranky, the other two have learned to just move out of her way, hahaha! Didn't get a storm last night but they're still saying it's coming so maybe she'll think a storm tonight would be perfect 🤞🤞.

She came in tonight looking like a BIG mud ball 🤣. Everything looks the same but she's testing at 7 tonight. Anyone want to take a guess on whether she'll go back up, stay there for a while or drop fast and foal tonight? I'm voting for drop fast and foal tonight but so far my votes haven't been counted so we'll see. 🤞

She came in tonight looking like a BIG mud ball 🤣. Everything looks the same but she's testing at 7 tonight. Anyone want to take a guess on whether she'll go back up, stay there for a while or drop fast and foal tonight? I'm voting for drop fast and foal tonight but so far my votes haven't been counted so we'll see. 🤞

That’s awesome! You said her history indicated that she finishes getting ready last minute right? I’d definitely be anxious to see what happens tonight. Ive seen one mare drop from 8.4 to 6.8 in 18 hrs and foal 1-2 hrs later. So you never know. She was checking every 2-4 hrs at that stage plus had her on camera. Saying that though I’ve seen some take weeks to drop lol.

Yes, from what I've been able to piece together she finishes getting ready fast at the end, sometimes within an hour or two. I didn't have anyone say they had checked the pH though so ?? Fingers crossed and watching closely.

Her udder is hard full sized ready for nursing with filled nipples this morning and she's testing 6.4/6.6.
Ah that’s fantastic news! A new baby and a full night’s sleep is just around the corner, Taz!

Fingers crossed for you and Tilley tonight! ;) Farrier was here today to do everyone's feet. I asked him what he thought. He looked at their undercarriages and asked me what made me think Snickers was pregnant?! Yikes! Of course little one lying lengthwise again and just decided not to move at all! He asked me if I palpated either of them and I said no because they are too small. just shrugged and said he didn't think so. Depressing, but there are changes and I am sure about Snickers. What i'm not sure about is how far along she is! no udder changes tonight but still "puffy". Come on Tilley! We need some inspiration!!

Fingers crossed for you and Tilley tonight! ;) Farrier was here today to do everyone's feet. I asked him what he thought. He looked at their undercarriages and asked me what made me think Snickers was pregnant?! Yikes! Of course little one lying lengthwise again and just decided not to move at all! He asked me if I palpated either of them and I said no because they are too small. just shrugged and said he didn't think so. Depressing, but there are changes and I am sure about Snickers. What i'm not sure about is how far along she is! no udder changes tonight but still "puffy". Come on Tilley! We need some inspiration!!
If it makes you feel any better the guy that owns the local feed/tack store was here last week delivering bedding. He bred for years. I asked him about Tilly and his answer was 'are you sure she's in foal?'. 😒 You know she is, I'm just happy you already bought baby blankets in case, the little one might be a while. Or, if she looked pretty big when he/she was sideways then she could just be one that gets ready fast. Either way it's crazy making, hang in there.

Tilly came in dragging on the end of the lead and has her top lip stuck out like when they get a scratch. The drop of milk I got looks like milk now. No changes in how she looks tonight BUT her pH is back to 8. If I wasn't for the pH I would say she's good to go so...... I'll be checking every 1/2 hour from now on, so much for sleep. I figure if the pH can jump around as fast as it is she can drop and go any time too.

Latest posts

Back