Advise please on older broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not been following, regularly, just playing catch up here and there. Anyway, tonight's catch up started with the comments about LWO overo. When it comes to minis, I'd make sure at least one of the two horses bred to each other was tested LWO negative to be safe. Minis are excellent at taking patterns to extremes, whether that is extreme minimal or extreme expression; and they like to piles up the patterns, obscuring obvious signs of a particular pattern. So, when it comes to LWO, always be sure one horse is tested negative to be safe. [I know someone with a solid, no white and no blue eyes mare that tests LWO positive, so you can NOT always go by visual assessment.] In this case, it's better to spend $25 and test one horse in the mix, than to be sorry 10-11 months later. [And, use UC Davis or Animal Genetics lab, as they are top notch with minimal errors.]
Thanks, Chandab! Does the vet take a sample and send it in or is it up to the owner?

Snickers is coming along VERY slowly but nothing dramatic. Pepper? Ah, who knows? I can't tell if she is getting fatter or is pregnant! But she is getting more swelling near her udder and her teets are pointing downward. No movement though and from behind her belly looks symmetrical. She rarely stands still long enough to watch. When she eats her head moves back and forth a lot and it swings her belly to the opposite side. Pretty sure she is beginning to wonder if I am going to eat her because I am stalking her!(She has an annoyed expression when I just LOOK at her now...lol). Can't blame her though. Would love it if they could just talk for one day!

I might when all of this pregnancy stuff subsides, but not sure. Not sure if vet does it or if it's a DYI kind of thing. IF I decide to let others breed with him I definitely would but I am more leaning to getting him gelded at some point. Maybe MerMaeve wants a baby of her own from Squirt so she can experience all the fun first hand! HaHa

It’s actually super easy to test. But it is diy. You pull 15-30 hairs and make sure to have the roots intact as that is what is tested. There are several labs but really only 2 that are recommended. UC Davis and Animal Genetics. Some others have mixed reviews and some bad reviews so the other 2 are the safe decision. You register online and fill out the form and then just mail it in. Results in a few days usually.

Thanks, Chandab! Does the vet take a sample and send it in or is it up to the owner?
Elizabeth pretty much covered it. It's really simple, and I'm pretty sure both reliable labs charge $25 for the LWO test; so really cheap insurance to avoid a possible 25% chance of a foal dying a horrific death within a few days of birth.

While there is nothing interesting to report, I figured I would upload a couple pictures of Rosie tonight, because everyone loves a chunky little pony!

Attachments

• 02C90586-DA66-4F1A-A07E-3FB52FD44884.jpeg
    02C90586-DA66-4F1A-A07E-3FB52FD44884.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 9
  • F78A63D9-556C-4993-AD04-0177E4B7C995.jpeg
    F78A63D9-556C-4993-AD04-0177E4B7C995.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 8
This is the picture, Taz. Same “you’re a crazy woman” glare lol but definite growth in the belly area! 3 weeks ago on the left, this morning on the right.

Attachments

• 0AF4A351-17C3-496D-A32E-DB8AE811A966.jpeg
    0AF4A351-17C3-496D-A32E-DB8AE811A966.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 7
Haha, that's how it works. Is she acting as if the little one is bothering her yet? Izzy didn't during the day but on camera at night she did. Tilly is equal opportunity, non-stop telling everyone off right now
Poor girl.

Lol it’s nice to see evidence of it. When she was first clipped, she looked half the size that she was with her fluff and all the “the vet must have been wrong” thoughts were running rampant in my mind. But now she’s at the point where she actually looks bigger from the front and back than she did in her full winter woollies :D
No she doesn’t seem to be. I mean she does bite at her sides now and then but it’s hard to distinguish if it’s due to baby or all the bugs!

Lost my data again, really frustrating, it's been doing this since it got hot a couple of weeks ago. It's going to be interesting to see how big she gets as a maiden. I think you can definitely say she's in foal😁

While there is nothing interesting to report, I figured I would upload a couple pictures of Rosie tonight, because everyone loves a chunky little pony!
She is adorable Jodie! Can I ask how you did her mane? Looks like a braid or pony tail? Been looking for ideas on doing mane and bangs..Bought a braiding book which is lovely, but a little too fancy for just hanging out at home.

Reactions: Taz
Well, it's been 15 weeks today since Tilly started developing an udder. She hasn't really had any changes in the last two weeks, she looks very ready to me but what do I know, she's going to do what she does. It was easy to get a drop to test tonight and it was a translucent yellow and didn't move when I tilted the cap but she's still testing 7.8/8. Thunderstorms are supposed to role in tonight so fingers crossed she gets in the mood and the hydro doesn't go out.

Last edited:
Ok, for those of you wondering about Snickers and maybe Pepper, here are some pics. Still a ways to go for Snickers I think. Who knows with Pepper? Any thoughts? She has gained some weight (food hog). Snickers almost always carries her little one length wise. Right after I took the photos, baby went sideways! (1) Snickers side view udder (2) Pepper side view udder (3) Snickers profile (4) Pepper rear view (5)Pepper profile. All taken 7/10/20. Still looking for more expert opinions!! Some days I think Pepper is pregnant and other days I just don' know....

20200710_180524.jpg20200710_180548.jpg20200710_180512.jpg20200710_180654.jpg20200710_180430.jpg

Attachments

• 20200710_180656.jpg
    20200710_180656.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 4
Well, it's been 15 weeks today since Tilly started developing an udder. She hasn't really had any changes in the last two weeks, she looks very ready to me but what do I know, she's going to do what she does. It was east to get a drop to test tonight and it was a translucent yellow and didn't move when I tilted the cap but she's still testing 7.8/8. Thunderstorms are supposed to role in tonight so fingers crossed she gets in the mood and the hydro doesn't go out.
Hoping for baby tonight!

Reactions: Taz

Latest posts

Back