Advise please on older broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No changes this morning. She bit my mother twice and was swinging her quarters at me when I tried to get some milk, she must be getting pretty tender, so I'm leaving that unless I can get it easily. I've been working very hard to get her trust and don't want to lose ground with the little one almost here. Loose and droopy, maybe a bit sunken around her tail head, I can feel her spine easily there at least. 🤞soon.

It’s not midnight yet! Still a chance you and baby could share a birthday lol

I have not been following, regularly, just playing catch up here and there. Anyway, tonight's catch up started with the comments about LWO overo. When it comes to minis, I'd make sure at least one of the two horses bred to each other was tested LWO negative to be safe. Minis are excellent at taking patterns to extremes, whether that is extreme minimal or extreme expression; and they like to piles up the patterns, obscuring obvious signs of a particular pattern. So, when it comes to LWO, always be sure one horse is tested negative to be safe. [I know someone with a solid, no white and no blue eyes mare that tests LWO positive, so you can NOT always go by visual assessment.] In this case, it's better to spend $25 and test one horse in the mix, than to be sorry 10-11 months later. [And, use UC Davis or Animal Genetics lab, as they are top notch with minimal errors.]

I have not been following, regularly, just playing catch up here and there. Anyway, tonight's catch up started with the comments about LWO overo. When it comes to minis, I'd make sure at least one of the two horses bred to each other was tested LWO negative to be safe. Minis are excellent at taking patterns to extremes, whether that is extreme minimal or extreme expression; and they like to piles up the patterns, obscuring obvious signs of a particular pattern. So, when it comes to LWO, always be sure one horse is tested negative to be safe. [I know someone with a solid, no white and no blue eyes mare that tests LWO positive, so you can NOT always go by visual assessment.] In this case, it's better to spend $25 and test one horse in the mix, than to be sorry 10-11 months later. [And, use UC Davis or Animal Genetics lab, as they are top notch with minimal errors.]
Definitely back on the list of things to worry about. Pitter Patter, are you going to test Volt?

Nothing last night except for some vigorous tail swishing and she backed into the wall 5 times in a row hard and fast enough to bounce off it.

I use Pool PH test kits. Normally the mare foaled within 12 hrs of ph reading 6.2 or less. Look up Facebook Miniature Horse Discussion Board to help!

Anything going on with Rosie, Snickers and dare I ask, Pepper?
Funny you mention that as I just posted on Pitter Patter’s original thread a moment ago asking if she had any updates! Nothing new with Rosie except I realized yesterday that I have been feeding her about half the amount of mare and foal that she should be having and feel absolutely terrible about it.

Funny you mention that as I just posted on Pitter Patter’s original thread a moment ago asking if she had any updates! Nothing new with Rosie except I realized yesterday that I have been feeding her about half the amount of mare and foal that she should be having and feel absolutely terrible about it.
Snickers is coming along VERY slowly but nothing dramatic. Pepper? Ah, who knows? I can't tell if she is getting fatter or is pregnant! But she is getting more swelling near her udder and her teets are pointing downward. No movement though and from behind her belly looks symmetrical. She rarely stands still long enough to watch. When she eats her head moves back and forth a lot and it swings her belly to the opposite side. Pretty sure she is beginning to wonder if I am going to eat her because I am stalking her!(She has an annoyed expression when I just LOOK at her now...lol). Can't blame her though. Would love it if they could just talk for one day!
Definitely back on the list of things to worry about. Pitter Patter, are you going to test Volt?

Nothing last night except for some vigorous tail swishing and she backed into the wall 5 times in a row hard and fast enough to bounce off it.
I might when all of this pregnancy stuff subsides, but not sure. Not sure if vet does it or if it's a DYI kind of thing. IF I decide to let others breed with him I definitely would but I am more leaning to getting him gelded at some point. Maybe MerMaeve wants a baby of her own from Squirt so she can experience all the fun first hand! HaHa

Latest posts

Back