Advise please on older broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't get anything to test this morning. She's getting unhappy about how much I have to do to get a tiny bit, don't know if I'll keep going with it or not. I keep having dreams about dead babies.....I'm going to start checking her every 1/2 hour at night. During the day too of course since she had her last one in the afternoon.

Soon please Tilly, I'm begging, you're so close!

Last edited:
@Taz, do you have any idea when she was breed? Squirt was free run with the stallion until October I think they said so......It might be a while! :oops::rolleyes:🤪

I was told they think she caught on her foal heat which would have been around May 20. Oops, they got that wrong. She started getting an udder in early April so I was watching from then (would have been due mid April to mid May?). She was running with the stud until I gelded him a week after I got them, about 3 1/2 months ago. Haha, definitely happened last year though. The way she looks she has to be within days (PLEASE!!) but she has been so not normal everything's a guess.

Oh poor you, you could be waiting till Sep. 😲 :rolleyes:o_O

Does she look lower to anyone else? I saw her in the paddock today and wasn't sure if it was the angle. The pictures not the best but it's what I got. Still a very wide load. She didn't want me squeezing the lemon tonight, I don't blame her she must be getting sensitive, so not ph tonight. Everything looks the same and she wouldn't tell me her plans for the evening when I asked.IMG_20200629_183616.jpg last pic posted IMG_20200707_182601.jpg tonight.

I think she looks lower. It could be that she is standing differently to the first pic, but even so I think her belly looks a bit lower in the second. Lol her plans probably include keeping you up all night, stressing you out, seeing if she can drive you to the loony bin before she actually foals, maybe pop out a baby if she has time 😅

I will say that the udder getting hard is a good sign. Usually when they are very close the udder will still be hard but you should be able to get a squirt. If you decide you don’t want to do ph you can do a texture and color test or a taste test. Those are a bit more subject to guesswork though but at least you can see some changes.

I will say that the udder getting hard is a good sign. Usually when they are very close the udder will still be hard but you should be able to get a squirt. If you decide you don’t want to do ph you can do a texture and color test or a taste test. Those are a bit more subject to guesswork though but at least you can see some changes.

what I like to do is use a small clear cup to collect milk. That way there is no touching it and you can see color and have an idea of consistency.

I am going to keep checking the ph when I can get some milk without getting her upset if for no other reason I'd really like to know if it drops normally with her since she has been so abnormal. I've been collecting in a white plastic lid and thought that would show me the colour, I'll try to find something clear. I don't think tasting it would work for me 🤣 🤢.

Nothing last night. She is drinking A LOT though. 3/4 of a bucket last night and whatever she wants outside. Drinking is good and it's hot here right now but is drinking that much a sign of anything wrong or is she just feeling it more than everyone else? No sweating.

Latest posts

Back