Advise please on older broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, she is an absolute darling. With everything she went through it amazes me what a beautiful soul she is and how she hasn’t given up on humans. I’ll attach a picture of what she looked like when she was seized. But yes I wonder if the heat had something to do with it, or even maybe she’s one that gets some swelling when she is coming into season, but absolutely I will keep an eye just to monitor things in case there are any significant changes that could indicate something being up with her (not meaning pregnancy as such, but other issues that could possibly present themselves down the line). That’s the thing with owning horses hey, you almost need to have them for a full year to figure out what their “normal” is.
I can get a picture of Rosie from behind when I do my evening check. I’m sure she has to be in foal given what the vet saw (I imagine a big black blob of fluid containing what appeared to be a head would have caused her some health issues by now 🤷‍♀️), but she likely has a ways to go - if she did in fact get bred around the time of the auction, or even by Barney after being gelded then she wouldn’t be due til around August. Hahaha well given that we live in Manitoba, I sure hope it doesn’t end up being a November baby, or Rosie and foal will be moving into my house! Ugh isn’t it just, major kudos to those who do this on a yearly basis!
Poor Dora!!
So glad you have her now and she looking amazing!!

Pictures from this morning. She's testing at 7.2 this morning. She's eating grass during the day with brakes(not normal) and picking at her hay the last two nights. The only other time I've seen her not hoover until everything is gone was when she looked in labour for 1 1/2 hours a couple (few?) weeks ago. Watching her closely.View attachment 41790View attachment 41791View attachment 41792
She looks pretty close to me! Her vulva is more relaxed than Trixie's ever looked!

Her udder is hard and full, might not be completely full size yet but BIG. Her whole back end is jello jiggly, soft around her tail head too, vulva can't relax and droop any more than it is. I had my hand on her back end when she moved over last night and I can feel how loose her pelvis is. She's swishing her tail and breathing hard all the time but that's about it. She turns around the odd time to bite at her loins, up high not her flank. Still a very wide load.

Last edited:
Hopefully. It went up then down once already. If it can go from 6.8 to 8 overnight I would think it could go down very fast too, not trusting it, watching her closely.

All I really want is healthy baby and momma. I hate putting them through gelding and having to seperate out a colt if they don't drop in time. At least I already have two babysitters for a colt if needed.

Latest posts

Back