Advise please on older broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, bit of a busy morning, no foal.
I think she's teasing me. I couldn't even get a drop this morning. Big hard udder still and her vulva is droopy drawers. Flat and relaxed all the way down. Ooh, just looked and she's standing in the shelter instead of grazing. Could be the heat, could be baby, I'll be watching and let you know.

False alarm just taking a break from the sun, back out grazing now

Last edited:
Everything looks the same tonight. I got a tiny bit and she's testing at 7. "Mare isn't ready yet and it could be days to weeks before foaling" :mad:. Not making me happy...... Lets hope it's days😊. I'll keep checking morning and night, maybe she'll make a fast change. I'm going to trust it enough and sleep for 2-3 hours first thing but I don't trust her to be 'normal' enough to go the whole night with longer between checks. It's been 14 weeks as of tomorrow, she is not 'normal' 🤣
Thank you so much Holly for the test strips 😁

Last edited:
Everything looks the same tonight. I got a tiny bit and she's testing at 7. "Mare isn't ready yet and it could be days to weeks before foaling" :mad:. Not making me happy...... Lets hope it's days😊. I'll keep checking morning and night, maybe she'll make a fast change. I'm going to trust it enough and sleep for 2-3 hours first thing but I don't trust her to be 'normal' enough to go the whole night with longer between checks. It's been 14 weeks as of tomorrow, she is not 'normal' 🤣
Thank you so much Holly for the test strips 😁

You are doing exactly what you need to be! Glad you can get some rest. But at 7.0 you know she is dropping. So you are in the home stretch. She may not quite be imminent, but she’s getting close to it.

6.8 this morning!! "Mare is getting closer and could foal any day"
We're in the 90's here so I'm off to bring the last of my hay in before it gets too bad. Calling for thunderstorms this afternoon, the rain is badly needed. Foal watching and ice cream this afternoon (no A/C), maybe between the heat and storm she'll decide sooner is better 😁

Last edited:
I texted Squirt's owner and asked if Squirt's had her baby yet..(she said she'd let us know but I wanted to make sure she didn't forget to tell us)....She replied "Nothing yet. Maybe she is just fat" 🤣😂🤣

Here's something to brighten your day!
He still doesn't have a name! Any suggestions?
Im thinking something along the line of Simon, Walter, or Theodore (a nerdy name....no offense to anyone)....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200630-111300(1).png
    Screenshot_20200630-111300(1).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Such a cutie! I agree with Theodore/Teddy. Norman? Stanley?I'm awful with names, although I do have a couple picked out if they fit for Tilly's foal that is NEVER going to be born. I'm trying to laugh but it's just not working yet, she is at it again. Vulva has tightened up some and wait for it......she tested at 7.6/7.8 tonight. I know it's not a false pregnancy, lots of foal movement. "Crazy train" is right. 🤪 Maybe she's waiting for Snickers and Rosie?

Last edited:
Here's something to brighten your day!
He still doesn't have a name! Any suggestions?
Im thinking something along the line of Simon, Walter, or Theodore (a nerdy name....no offense to anyone)....
I’m another vote for Theodore/Ted/Teddy! He’s an absolute darling!

Last edited:
Such a cutie! I agree with Theodore/Teddy. Norman? Stanley?I'm awful with names, although I do have a couple picked out if they fit for Tilly's foal that is NEVER going to be born. I'm trying to laugh but it's just not working yet, she is at it again. Vulva has tightened up some and wait for it......she tested at 7.6/7.8 tonight. I know it's not a false pregnancy, lots of foal movement. "Crazy train" is right. 🤪 Maybe she's waiting for Snickers and Rosie?

hahahaha you must be exhausted. I’ve heard of a lot of mares go up on ph right before foaling this year. Both of mine did this year. My maiden most dramatically. She tested 7.8 one day and over about 24 hrs dropped to 6.8. I thought for sure this was it. Next test though and she was at 7.8. I thought I was going to lose my mind. But over the next days she dropped all the way to 6.4 and foaled about exactly 24-30 hrs later, on day 345. I think you SHOULD be safe, but I wouldn’t get too relaxed lol. But you are doing a great job and I'm sure you know not to get relaxed hahaha.

Not relaxing, no worries. No baby either, haha. I'll check her this morning and report back. I did remember hearing something about red bags not showing low when they foaled? See, not relaxed at all, still worrying about everything 🤣

Latest posts

Back