Advise please on older broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never was able to get milk out of Sally, but Rob did. He said to squeeze the milk from the top of the udder. Squeeze it downward like the bottom of a funnel. As you're squeezing and messaging it down, work the nipple. He said like you're squeezing a lemon to get juice.

I'll try it this morning, cool!

Quiet night, no baby.

Can a tobiano carry LWO? It's been bothering me and I can't find an answer. Also, do you know if a pintaloosa has equal chance of throwing pinto, appy and pintaloosa?
Her udder this morning. Didn't lift her belly for me, does that mean it's safe to sleep tonight? 😄 I'll keep trying it and see if it predicts anything with her. View attachment 41781

That udder is looking much better. I think it still has some filling to do but that can happen quickly. I would still watch her closely. Not all mares will do the belly lift but it is helpful when they do.

Yes, LWO can express on any color even with tobiano or another white pattern. Sometimes solids can even carry LWO without it being visible at all.

a pintaloosa has the same percentage to throw an appy or a pinto as well as a solid if it is heterozygous. It has less of a chance to throw another pintaloosa because it requires 2 genes. However it is still possible.

I never was able to get milk out of Sally, but Rob did. He said to squeeze the milk from the top of the udder. Squeeze it downward like the bottom of a funnel. As you're squeezing and messaging it down, work the nipple. He said like you're squeezing a lemon to get juice.
I'll give it a try, thanks 😊
That udder is looking much better. I think it still has some filling to do but that can happen quickly. I would still watch her closely. Not all mares will do the belly lift but it is helpful when they do.

Yes, LWO can express on any color even with tobiano or another white pattern. Sometimes solids can even carry LWO without it being visible at all.

a pintaloosa has the same percentage to throw an appy or a pinto as well as a solid if it is heterozygous. It has less of a chance to throw another pintaloosa because it requires 2 genes. However it is still possible.
Sounds good, no sleep yet 🤣.
That's what I was afraid of, I'll keep worrying about it till I see a little one with some colour. Both pinto parents, I don't know if they are carriers or not.

Ugh! I was just told she has been known to have changes then foal in a couple of hours. She's all over the place, nothing consistent from foal to foal that I'm getting. 😵

Ugh! I was just told she has been known to have changes then foal in a couple of hours. She's all over the place, nothing consistent from foal to foal that I'm getting. 😵

Don’t you love those?!? I wouldn’t be worrying over lwo right now. Looking at your mare I don’t see anything that says she carry’s it. Obviously you can know without testing but she looks like a textbook tobiano.

Reactions: Taz
I wouldn't worry at all about LWO. That only happens in Overos. Yours are Tobianos. I think.o_O

Yes it is an overo pattern. But white patterns can all express together. That’s what gives you a tovero (tobiano + overo). I agree theirs do not seem to have it, but if I was standing a pinto stallion, I’d want to test for LWO.

I'm just going to keep that on my list of things to worry about at 2am. along with Tilly rupturing because of her age, the foal not moving right now, a red bag that I don't get out in time and a foal I can't straighten up. Lets not forget sleeping through it and having a healthy foal that can't get out of the sack. I would never make it as a breeder :eek:

I'm just going to keep that on my list of things to worry about at 2am. along with Tilly rupturing because of her age, the foal not moving right now, a red bag that I don't get out in time and a foal I can't straighten up. Lets not forget sleeping through it and having a healthy foal that can't get out of the sack. I would never make it as a breeder :eek:

It’s okay! Y’all will both do great! I would honestly not worry about LWO with her. She looks textbook tobiano. I don’t see any hint of any other pattern. Your mare looks quite healthy so I think she should be fine foaling. Oh and don’t worry about the foal not moving. If there was a problem there would be many other signs you couldn’t miss. The mare I bought in foal this year was 2 weeks before foaling, and I never saw or felt much if any movement. The foal is so big at this point there just is not much room. I don’t know what kind of camera you have but is there a way for you to get help watching so that you can sleep some?

Last edited:
I really don't know how you all do it year after year with more than one. My camera is just CCTV. I have it run up to my mother's bedroom now so that hopefully if I'm asleep she'll see something and she's now watching so I can get a nap when possible, I'm surviving just whining 😊. The LWO is the least of my worries, she has a white chin which I have always thought of as overo. These two have had many babies and no problems with any of them as far as I know. I'm just a worrier 😉

I really don't know how you all do it year after year with more than one. My camera is just CCTV. I have it run up to my mother's bedroom now so that hopefully if I'm asleep she'll see something and she's now watching so I can get a nap when possible, I'm surviving just whining 😊. The LWO is the least of my worries, she has a white chin which I have always thought of as overo. These two have had many babies and no problems with any of them as far as I know. I'm just a worrier 😉

Hahahaha I get it! I am a worrier too!

Me either. Snickers isn't nearly as ready as Tilly. She looks so ready, I'm a little surprised her belly didn't just explode (and don't worry about that too--never heard of that happening!LOL). I'm worried too. No fancy set up and now it's super hot here, don't know about where you are in Canada but if it follows Northern Michigan, US you are probably suffering too--but hopefully not! Baby will be here soon!!

Yes, it's hot here right now. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it though 😊 . I was hoping it would move things along but it doesn't seem to be working that way.
I don't know how she hasn't had it yet, I don't think her belly can get any bigger. She's having problems getting her stifles bent enough with the belly in the way and is dragging her back toes on the ground. Poor girl must be very uncomfortable.
I tried the squeeze a lemon and got a drop of colostrum? Clear, thin and sticky. Couldn't get anything else so no testing but at least it was something finally.
MerMaeve, have you heard anything on how Squirt is doing?

Yes, it's hot here right now. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it though 😊 . I was hoping it would move things along but it doesn't seem to be working that way.
I don't know how she hasn't had it yet, I don't think her belly can get any bigger. She's having problems getting her stifles bent enough with the belly in the way and is dragging her back toes on the ground. Poor girl must be very uncomfortable.
I tried the squeeze a lemon and got a drop of colostrum? Clear, thin and sticky. Couldn't get anything else so no testing but at least it was something finally.
MerMaeve, have you heard anything on how Squirt is doing?

That’s awesome that you got sticky fluid! I’m sure you know it’ll get cloudy close. Just a tip for testing, make sure you don’t actually touch the fluid you test because it will change the ph.

Poor Squirt and poor you:(. I'm sure she has some shade to get into and they're looking after her.

That’s awesome that you got sticky fluid! I’m sure you know it’ll get cloudy close. Just a tip for testing, make sure you don’t actually touch the fluid you test because it will change the ph.
Yes, it was in my hand so didn't even try to test, don't know if I should till it looks more like milk? I was thinking of wearing a glove when I try again tomorrow.

Yes, it was in my hand so didn't even try to test, don't know if I should till it looks more like milk? I was thinking of wearing a glove when I try again tomorrow.
[/QUOTE]

it won’t hurt to start testing. At least gives us an idea. Some mares won’t get their milk milk in until right at or before foaling. But hopefully a ph will give an idea of how close she is. Might let you rest a bit easier.

Latest posts

Back