Advise please on older broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Taz! Looks so close! Color Calculator? I will have to look that up! So I have a a color question...my little stallion is a reddish brown color with two white socks, a few white blazes on his body, black mane and tail, and a dark stripe down his spine. Is this a bay or bay dun? UGH. Not really sure.

I’d like to see a picture of your stallion. I’m not an expert with colors but I’ve learned a lot in the last several years.

I'm going out on a limb and saying I think Tilly is going to foal sometime in the next week. He udder was hard again this morning, vulva is still dark pink(looks it more to me in person than the picture) and she has serious jello butt. Not a drop of milk to test but she wasn't happy about me trying so I left that alone. I could be jinxing it of course, wait and see as usual but I'll be keeping a closer eye on her now.
View attachment 41746View attachment 41747

What's going on with everyone else???????

Definitely getting there. Still has some filling to do. But she’s definitely getting closer. And not all mares will fill completely before foaling. Does the udder still grow and shrink throughout the day? I’m sure you’ve said it somewhere but I can’t find it at the moment. Do you have a estimated breeding date?

Definitely getting there. Still has some filling to do. But she’s definitely getting closer. And not all mares will fill completely before foaling. Does the udder still grow and shrink throughout the day? I’m sure you’ve said it somewhere but I can’t find it at the moment. Do you have a estimated breeding date?
Her udder grows and shrinks but will stay for days or hours before changing. No idea on a breed date, I was told on her foal heat last year, last years foal was May 12, so not then.
She wasn't a happy camper last night. Breathing hard all night, constantly swishing and fussing at her belly, laying down a lot with a bit of rolling.
I have her foal dates the last two years. 2018 June 21, 2019 May 12. So I'm assuming but that would mean she bred on her 30 day heat in 2018? I think that puts her at foaling about 2 weeks before her breed date for 2019? From that date I think she would have been bred week of June 9-16 and July 1-7. IF it was July and she follows the same timing I think that means she'll be foaling anytime. If anyone can check my math that would be great, the old brains not working very well right now, when it's working at all. Then again it could be she was bred in Aug and won't be foaling till July.

Last edited:
LOL I know, I can't wait either! I feel bad for her because a month ago she looked dropped......And it's going to be 90 for the next few days. :( I wish there was a coat color predictor, combining the mom and dad's colors.
It has been 108-111 here since the day before Trixie's little guy was born.... Miserable!! Hopefully she holds out for a bit cooler temps!

Her udder grows and shrinks but will stay for days or hours before changing. No idea on a breed date, I was told on her foal heat last year, last years foal was May 12, so not then.
She wasn't a happy camper last night. Breathing hard all night, constantly swishing and fussing at her belly, laying down a lot with a bit of rolling.
I have her foal dates the last two years. 2018 June 21, 2019 May 12. So I'm assuming but that would mean she bred on her 30 day heat in 2018? I think that puts her at foaling about 2 weeks before her breed date for 2019? From that date I think she would have been bred week of June 9-16 and July 1-7. IF, and that's a big if this morning it was July and she follows the same timing I think that means she'll be foaling anytime. If anyone can check my math that would be great, the old brains not working very well right now. Then again it could be she was bred in Aug and won't be foaling till July.

Oh, Sally was acting like that the week she foaled, with plenty of butt rubbing. SOOOOOOOOON!!!!!

Her udder is softer tonight, I don't think she can get any jigglier in her back end, softer around her tail head, sinking a bit. She wasn't breathing hard this afternoon but is again tonight. I'll let you know...... 🤷‍♀️ 🤞

No foal. Last night was basically a repeat of the night before. Less tail swishing and fussing at her belly but her tail was up or up and to the side a lot. Laying down but not sleeping and some rolling. She hasn't been butt rubbing at all but was doing a bit of backing up into the wall hard. Lots of heavy breathing. I'll see what she looks like as soon as I can get going.

Last edited:
We'll see if I'm right and she foals this week, I don't think she can go much more than two weeks. She looks so close to me, not quite textbook but nothing has been yet with her. Or I could be completely wrong and she'll hold on for another month 🤣 🤦‍♀️

Here are pictures from tonight. Not lined up, haha, even I can see that 🤣 . Her vulva looks darker in person, don't know if it's my eyes or the flash. Still soft and jiggly. Looks the same to me...
I got a response from someone who had her a few years ago and apparently she goes for about 12 months, is hard to predict and got worse as she got older. I'm now going with she'll foal when she foals and I'm never going to sleep again 🤣.
IMG_20200629_183616.jpgIMG_20200629_183556.jpgIMG_20200629_183513.jpgIMG_20200629_183502.jpg

Oh, and I have only seen foal movement once in the last two weeks so that's been added to my list of things to worry about even though I know it's not uncommon in the last couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back