Advise please on older broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Her udder went down yesterday and not back this morning, there is no pattern to it at all. Tail tightened up again last night.
These are bad pictures from this morning. Any ideas???? I'm giving up guessing and trying to relax(ha!) and wait.
IMG_20200623_072548.jpgIMG_20200623_072635.jpgIMG_20200623_072517.jpgIMG_20200623_072512.jpgIMG_20200623_072526.jpg

I could use some help if that’s ok? Rosie’s udder is definitely changing though it isn’t filling as such yet. What would be her actual udder bag used to be tight skin tucked against her if that makes sense, but this morning it has folds in it, almost like it’s a bit saggy, is that normal in udder development?

Last edited:
I suppose I should have added some pictures to try and show what I’m meaning (though of course it’s hard to get pictures to show exactly what I’m seeing in real life 🤦‍♀️ ) I know she has a long way to go yet, but I’m just wondering if this a normal part of the process. I thought the bag was supposed to fill, not get saggy lol

Attachments

• 508F61DC-EEEA-4206-917E-EBD22152ECAC.jpeg
    508F61DC-EEEA-4206-917E-EBD22152ECAC.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 5
  • 031CA352-FA68-4171-97A1-A97A2DFDD418.jpeg
    031CA352-FA68-4171-97A1-A97A2DFDD418.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 6
LMAO!!!!! Welcome to the looney bin, I think you're 100% one of us now 😂 , it only gets worse from here!!!!! Sorry, I need more sleep.
I know what you mean, I'm going to guess that's her starting an udder. Try feeling instead of looking in the beginning, I find it's easier to tell a difference that way. Both my girls are experienced so I don't know if it's normal to get saggy in the beginning for a maiden but it doesn't sound too off to me. My girls were saggy and wrinkled to begin with 😂😂😂😂. I'm trying so hard not to go anywhere else with this........

Taz, I agree, it looks like she’s dropping. However the foal is not quite lined up. It’s getting there though. And that can happen fast. Her udder does not look quite ready but you can see it better there and it can be hard to judge on photos. Especially since mares don’t all read the same book. She may finish bagging up right before or a couple of days before. There are a couple other angles that help a lot to judge and compare her udder. If you can get them that’d be great. Try from directly below her where you can see the entire udder. The other one is from behind between her legs. Her teats SHOULD point down and her udder will look almost flat from that angle when her udder is ready. Its hard to say for sure because they don’t all follow the same schedule.

😂😂😂 Thank you Taz! I’m honoured to be a part of the Loony Lady Gang haha!
@elizabeth.conder your girl was a maiden wasn’t she? Did you have a similar experience with her udder development?
Yes one was a maiden this year and one was not a maiden. I can add a picture before and after her first udder development if you’d like? I can either post them on your thread or message them to you?

Yes one was a maiden this year and one was not a maiden. I can add a picture before and after her first udder development if you’d like? I can either post them on your thread or message them to you?
That would be wonderful, thank you! Like I said, I know she has a very long way to go yet, but being that this is my first foal and that my horses are all my babies, I worry and notice the slightest little things. I thought my human children were going to be the ones to give me grey hairs, but it’s looking more like my 4 legged children will be the ones who age me 🤣

Okay here’s one before and after the first development. From the first sign of swelling it was 7 weeks till she foaled. She was pretty good about following all the rules.
Looking at your mare it is possible that she is getting ready to start filling. In a couple of days it should be more obvious if so.

Attachments

• B80E3192-2315-4471-A401-1A28E27CB364.jpeg
    B80E3192-2315-4471-A401-1A28E27CB364.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 8CD72974-62A0-4D18-99CE-DA9838C7A3D1.jpeg
    8CD72974-62A0-4D18-99CE-DA9838C7A3D1.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 6
Taz, these are the angles I’m talking about.

these were about midnight and she foaled at 5:15 am

Attachments

• A28D8D07-984C-4F4B-BC75-F162C47DEC8E.jpeg
    A28D8D07-984C-4F4B-BC75-F162C47DEC8E.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 6
  • A44EF7FD-C030-4E99-A0C8-64D789A24E1A.jpeg
    A44EF7FD-C030-4E99-A0C8-64D789A24E1A.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 6
I suppose I should have added some pictures to try and show what I’m meaning (though of course it’s hard to get pictures to show exactly what I’m seeing in real life 🤦‍♀️ ) I know she has a long way to go yet, but I’m just wondering if this a normal part of the process. I thought the bag was supposed to fill, not get saggy lol
Jodi, your pictures of your girl look almost exactly like the ones I have taken of Snickers! They must have "due dates" around the same time (or maybe we just have to play the maybe/maybe not game like everyone else!)

Jodi, your pictures of your girl look almost exactly like the ones I have taken of Snickers! They must have "due dates" around the same time (or maybe we just have to play the maybe/maybe not game like everyone else!)
Pitter Patter, I agree they look very similar! Rosie was confirmed in foal by an external ultrasound back in March. My vet is very experienced with full sized horses but said that she’s not so good with mini pregnancies but gave a very rough guess of around June/July. I’m leaning more towards July given that we’re nearly through June lol so hopefully that gives you more of a potential idea of timeline, assuming they are indeed at the same stage!

Last edited:
Pitter Patter, I agree they look very similar! Rosie was confirmed in foal by an external ultrasound back in March. My vet is very experienced with full sized horses but said that she’s not so good with mini pregnancies but gave a very rough guess of around June/July. I’m leaning more towards July given that we’re nearly through June lol so hopefully that gives you more of a potential idea of timeline, assuming they are indeed at the same stage!
Yay! Nice to know we are in the same boat! Keep us posted on Rosie's progress! :)

I'm calling this Tilly's 13 week 🤦‍♀️ update. Her udder hasn't gone back up since Mon night. This is what I call her 1/2 udder and where she likes to hang out most of the time with going down a bit now and then and up a bit now and then with it being BIG on Mon(?). No pattern to when she goes up and down. I think I can see a change in her vulva from the last pics(redder), anyone else think so? Her belly looks the same to me, I didn't take any pics of that. I haven't seen as much movement for a week or so but what I saw a few nights ago was all in her flank not lower like usual. I really don't know if she's going to give me much warning, she's got to be getting close doesn't she?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back