Advise please on older broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Holly, I hope everything's alright. Have you tried moving her belly around a bit and seeing if you can feel a kick after that? It can be hard, you have to have your hands in the right place. My other little one had a very quiet foal(until he was born), I never saw any movement or signs from her that he was bothering her, only felt the odd kick even though I checked a couple times every day for months.

These pictures are from a few weeks ago, I have a horrible time getting her to pose in person for belly pictures so that's why I used the camera last night. With the two Tilly's on the right, Spirit(dad) on the left.
IMG_20200409_180142.jpg IMG_20200407_170107.jpg
And yes, the belly is much bigger now, haha.

Looking at the pic on Cam, she is still really wide. Just wondering if she ate a watermelon lol as she looks HUGE :)

All the signs and symptoms you are looking at with her udder, vulva etc, they are going to change constantly. Some days you will think "Yes " its tonight , tomorrow when you wake things will be back to normal. There are not many mares that play by the "book" , they'd much rather keep the owners guessing :)

Reactions: Taz
LOL, yes, she kind of looks like a beach ball on legs, at least her belly is big and not going away like everything else :).
Pregnant mares are not for the faint of heart.....I don't see a lot of sleep in my future.

Absolutely nothing new here, she's still coming and going. I think she's waiting for nice weather, since it snowed this morning it could be a while......

Hi Holly. I got a little excited this morning, she had more udder, it was gone again tonight. I'm looking at it as a positive that she had more than before though. Every day is another day closer, or at least that's what I'm telling myself. I'm still watching closely in case she doesn't give me much or any warning. She started developing an udder 6 week ago now so something has to happen sooner than later I hope. I had a boarder come out yesterday who hasn't seen her in a week who said she's bigger and much lower :).

The test strips aren't here yet, maybe she's waiting for them;)

How are Sally and Sterling(did you decide to call him that?) doing? Have you gotten some rest and recovered?

Wow, maybe because the strips had to cross the border? :) It sounds like Tilly is getting ready. I almost gave up on Sally thinking perhaps she had a false pregnancy, so I didn't sleep completely dressed the night The Little Prince Sterling came into the world. Hence I missed the birth, but Rob was there. Since the first contraction, that baby was on the ground in less than five minutes! Hopefully Tilly will give you an equally unremarkable delivery. (Rob did break the white sack, and it was strong!)

Yes, we both had mare-watch-lag for a few days, but all is back to normal now!

Dang, I wish those strips would get there. They seem very accurate.

Blessings,
HollyMVIMG_20200510_000856 (1).jpg

I think with everyone ordering online there's a backlog slowing the strips down, I'm confident they'll get here in time.

I'm trying not to get excited but Tilly had more udder this morning again even though it went away during the day yesterday, maybe she's starting to get serious. No milk yet. I'm sleeping in sweats so I can go if needed, not that I wouldn't in pj"s but sweats are nicer. I hear you about almost giving up, I was starting to turn my alarm off by 3:30(I'm up by 6) not believing anything was ever going to happen, had a talk with myself and that's not happening now, lol.

I'm really hoping to have something to update with soon :)

Do you have someone there who can help you watch her in shifts? I believe The Little Prince Sterling wouldn't have made it if Hubby hadn't gotten him out of the sack.

Unfortunately I'm it for keeping watch at night. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting data for an extra phone so I can put an alarm on her at night IF there is enough coverage in her stall for it to work. Alarms aren't perfect but I wouldn't worry as much about not being there for a problem, even with waking up every hour I keep thinking she could give me no warning and I'll sleep right through it.

I love that you call him The Little Prince Sterling

Foal alarm on her halter last night. The data isn't very good out there but I had a couple false alarms early this morning so I think it's working well enough. I'm still waking up to check her but I'm more relaxed about not missing something.

Hahaha!! I almost said what milk bar but that's not quite accurate. She got that going again Fri and has been up and down, fuller this morning again. I think she's trying to make me completely batty, definitely not playing fair. I have no idea how long she's going to drag this out for, we're now starting week 7. Her belly is low and she doesn't look quite as wide, I think junior has the right idea at least. :rolleyes:

It is all going to be worth it! A little mini from the rescue where I got Sally went to Texas. This morning, there was a beautiful little paint foal out with her in a storm! I can't wait to see what Tilly gives you!

It will all be so worth it when the little bundle is on the ground safely.
This is Tilly's 5th foal with Spirit that I know of. The other 4 were 3 fillies and 1 colt. 2 black/white pinto, 2 chestnut/white pinto. Spirit is pintaloosa so there is a chance if appy. As far as I know he's known for throwing colour but I have seen one of Tilly's that was all black and her second(I think) foal was a black leopard appy. I've only been able to track down 6 of her babies and 4 of his. I have a feeling chestnut/white filly but ??????
I'll be happy with healthy mare and baby:).

Latest posts

Back