Advice??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanya Davis

Reaction score
Was wondering if anybody could help me out? My friend who is a horse person found my daughter a pony that’s 14 yo gelding who is blind in ONE eye, chews when bored or stalled 24/7, and foundered years ago but has not one issue with running around and is sweet and spunky. Lady has not had a vet out for anything for him because he’s been healthy and boarded where they keep him on a strict diet. Up to date on shots and ready to go. I’m ready to go get him what do you all think?

You can learn a lot from this horse. But whether you take him or not depends on what your daughter wants to do. Does she want to Play Day? Trail ride? Parade? It is very difficult to keep a foundered horse on a strict diet if one also wants him for a sweet pet. Where he is boarded, he is not a pet and the diet is just "the rules". Can you and your daughter refrain from giving treats? Letting him graze on juicy grass? I would not be so concerned about the blindness, but founder is like diabetes--it must be monitored ruthlessly. Going out to play with your horse and finding him standing painfully lame is not a happy sight. If you want a horse your daughter can enjoy, hold out for a healthy one and don't be taken in by sentiment or the "rescue" mentality. jmho--and experience.

She wants to work with him and learn with him. Possibly trail and show. His health and safety is our main concern. We can meet his needs to maintain a healthy horse. He is within our budget at this time and needed for self esteem and confidence for my daughter. Her safety is also my concern but I agree there is a lot we can do with him. Thank you!

I would say go for him. It sounds like his personality and training is just right for your daughter's experience and confidence needs at this time. It also sounds like you understand his needs health wise. The price seems right--i think you will soon have a pony!

Why is he blind in one eye? If it was from an injury, it would not bother me at all. If it was from uveitis (moon blindness) I would be somewhat concerned as sometimes it can affect both eyes. The same goes for the founder, I would want to know why he foundered, if it was because of a metabolic issue or something else.
Personally, I would have a vet check him out before making a decision and if the findings are something that you can live with and are prepared to monitor and maintain, I would buy the pony :). But I would want to know exactly what I was dealing with first.
ETA: I had a pony that was blind in one eye and she was safe to be around. We just approached her blind side by speaking to her first. She was fine under saddle. Never spooky.

I would say go for him. It sounds like his personality and training is just right for your daughter's experience and confidence needs at this time. It also sounds like you understand his needs health wise. The price seems right--i think you will soon have a pony!
Thank you

Why is he blind in one eye? If it was from an injury, it would not bother me at all. If it was from uveitis (moon blindness) I would be somewhat concerned as sometimes it can affect both eyes. The same goes for the founder, I would want to know why he foundered, if it was because of a metabolic issue or something else.
Personally, I would have a vet check him out before making a decision and if the findings are something that you can live with and are prepared to monitor and maintain, I would buy the pony :). But I would want to know exactly what I was dealing with first.
ETA: I had a pony that was blind in one eye and she was safe to be around. We just approached her blind side by speaking to her first. She was fine under saddle. Never spooky.
A lady rescued him from becoming a fair pony. He was a stallion with no manners and she bought him, broke him, and gelded him or else he would of become a permanent fair pony. His eye was due to an injury. He has been checked and no issues or have needed a vets care. He foundered from the lady having him out with her big horses in the pasture 24/7 during summer. I think his story is great and I’m willing to take him on and give him a very happy and healthy rest of his life.

Id also say go for it !!!

I once took a chance by doing the same with a little welshy called Rocky. I spent two years with him after he had foundered. ( He was also left on spring grass for too long by the previous owner)

He turned out to be the best pony. Laminitis was always going to be a possibility of returning , but a strict diet and knowing when to keep him off the high sugar grass, was a big help to his recovery.

He is still taking kids around pony club at 25 yo :)

Id also say go for it !!!

I once took a chance by doing the same with a little welshy called Rocky. I spent two years with him after he had foundered. ( He was also left on spring grass for too long by the previous owner)

He turned out to be the best pony. Laminitis was always going to be a possibility of returning , but a strict diet and knowing when to keep him off the high sugar grass, was a big help to his recovery.

He is still taking kids around pony club at 25 yo :)
That’s an amazing story! Makes me feel great about taking him on! We will give him the best care and love! Thank you for sharing!!

Latest posts

Back