Advice please, Prints with an injury

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here frankie this isnt the best but gives a little info i wish lyn was here this is almost exactly what happened to her fillyl

Infectious (Septic) Arthritis, Joint Ill, and Synovitis in Horses

by Robert N. Oglesby, DVM

Introduction

Infection of the joint and the surrounding structures is called septic arthritis. Similar in nature are infections of other synovial structures like tendon sheaths (septic synovitis or tenosynovitis)and bursa (septic bursitis). Also prone to infection is the growth plate of foals, this is called septic physitis.

Any acute onset of heat, swelling, and lameness in or around a joint or tendon sheath should always be suspected to be a possible infection. The consequence of not treating joint and synovial infection early and aggressively can be permanent lameness. More aggressive techniques of treatment have been shown to greatly increase the prognosis of infected joints and synovial structure. This article discusses the diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of septic arthritis infection of joints and physis of adults and foals. Any specific consideration for infection of a particular joint or synovial space is handled in the lameness article on that joint or space.

Kay, Minmor

thanks so much for providing and sharing your information.

I am leaving work as soon as I hit the ad reply button and will check for some of the things you suggested.

Have a vet that may be able to come out, will call me when he gets done at the current farm.

Thanks again so so so much.

Ok, she is walking better. Whole lot less limp. But swelling appears to be the same.

She ate a good supper, both grain and hay.

Has no temp, but am going to keep checking it often.

The back up, for the back up, for the back up vet is suppose to come over, I am the next call.

Will keep you up to date.

Thanks so much for the help and a special thank you to the ones who pm'd and emailed a ton of information.

thank you for your time. Will let you know.

Frankie said:
I'm not giving this baby DMSO just because he sees this to be the problem over the phone.
472105[/snapback]

I may be reading this wrong. If so, forgive me. It just made my heart jump a bit. DMSO is not for internal use. It's a topical treatment, but it's generally not used alone. If you use it, be very sure her leg is very, very, very clean, as DMSO can penetrate right into the cells. You may want to wear gloves when applying it; it will make you taste funky garlic in your mouth.

When I used it, it was for soft-tissue injuries in my CT horses. You wash the leg with soap and water, apply DMSO with cotton, or they have these nifty roll-ons now. And then I'd do a Numotizine poltice for 12 hours. Rinse, repeat. It would sweat off the swelling, but won't fix what's causing it necessarily. Stinks to high heaven too.

If joint ill, or any infection or snake bite, is a possibility, I'd stay WAY away from DMSO or poultice treatments unless a vet tells you (in person) to do it.

Bags of frozen peas make excellent cold packs and can be refrozen and used over and over again. They conform well around the leg and don't turn to water bags when thawed.

I hope little Prints is feeling herself again soon. Poor baby girl...

Frankie, did that vet ever come??????Please give us an update..Hope Prints is better this morning..
yes.gif

Well, we finally saw a vet. Can't say it did a whole lot of good though. Maybe so. He had no equipment to give an x-ray, so am on the look for that this morning. Have been given several names for other vets, but some are not in this morning and some can not get her in, booked up. Waiting for my dogs vet to call be back this morning. They have a new clinic, new equipement, and they did large animals for years. They will check with the vet when he comes in this morning to see if I can just take her in and if nothing else get that x-ray and go from there.

Prints is eating well, no fever and am checking for that often. I would have to say the swelling has gone down some, but she is limping more. Not sure what sense that makes.

The vet that saw her says it looks like an injury she has somehow done on her own. As in twisting, turning it. She has no marks at all on the leg or knee. He does not think there is any kind of break at all. Even though Prints does limp, when you hold up the leg and bend the knee slowly, it doesn't appear to bother her too much. He did suggest a very small amount bute regiment. It is not taking care of all the pain, it is too small of an amount, but are using it to help with swelling. 1/6 of a tablet, once a day. She is also on tagament and a joint supplement for 10 days. We are also icing it for 15 minutes, 4 times a day. Although we don't always make the 15 minutes. My vet will be back tomorrow evening and will get a second opinion with all of this. Hopefully by then we will have x-rays in hand and she can look at them as well.

Thanks again so much for all your help and suggestions. I am just glad it is the weekend, no work, and I can keep an eye on her and get the icing done.

Thanks again

I would try putting some DMSO on it. Where gloves as mentioned before, and rub it in, it really helps with the swelling. I had a miniature filly that had a swelled up knee & limping and we used DMSO on it and it helped Tremendously.....

Just my 2 cents......

Hope she gets to feeling better!

I agree ,use some DMSO topically. It helps bring down swellin.We used it on our big horses for years and have even used it on arthritis swelling on my own and my husbands hands. We don't use it often but it really helps. I was told it helps increase circulation in the afffected areas.

Cheryl

Latest posts

Back