Advice on older stallion now acting studdy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandee

Reaction score
My sister is complaining that her stallion (little 29" guy) that has been bred before and was shown several years (before she got him) is now acting studdy at the shows (wanting every mare he passes - this makes driving a bit difficult). She just hand bred him this past year to her daughter's 2 mares. He was calm at the shows before this.

I found a small discussion on here from back in Dec about calmatives but it was very short.

Can anyone offer her any suggestions as to what to do or what to use?

I have seen people at shows with older studs showing at halter. What I have seen them do I would consider crule. In the ring they will hit the studs penis with the lead and they give it a good hard swing. If they want to do that kind of thing at home that is their right. But I don't feel it has any place in the ring.

OK, I'm not talking about him "showing himself off". I'm talking about him actually being aggressive toward mares in a driving class. She shows at open shows and pinto so the classes are NOT seperated by gender.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't show, so I don't know if its acceptible at shows; but how about a little Vicks around his nose, so he can't smell the mares? I've heard it can work (just don't know if it can be used in the ring).

Yep, putting vicks in their nose helps. Also, she should have a stud chain on him at the shows. If he starts acting studdy, pull on that chain and repremand him. I showed a stallion last year and he's pretty good. But just got tired of the extra caution. You have to watch becuase they'll start to kick at other horses and people and just be unruley if she doesn't control him. Either she will have to decide if she can't control him good at shows, either not show him or geld him. Don't want anyone getting hurt. (Everyone has a stallion in their backyard that she could breed to....JMO).

I don't show, so I don't know if its acceptible at shows; but how about a little Vicks around his nose, so he can't smell the mares? I've heard it can work (just don't know if it can be used in the ring).
Using the vicks would be just like using vasoline around the nose and over the eyes. I don't see why it can not be used to cover the smells. A dab inside each nostral in the lower part of the opening should work. We have also used vanilla on a rabbits nose to cover smell when we have given a doe another does babies so she doesn't smell the other doe.

default_yes.gif
VICKS!!!! Works Great!!!
default_wink.png

Yes, Vicks is OK for some and not for all.

I do believe the owner should have control of all their horses, studs, mares, etc.

People say watch walking around him or her?

I do agree we need to be careful, horse is a horse. Never know what they might do.

Just do not no why, people stand talking, at the entry gate, with mares in cycle or studs that want to kick out.
default_new_shocked.gif

With this little stallion it is not a matter of control. He is not trying to "get away" or kick or even really be aggressive. He is just not performing well because he is suddenly to interested in every mare at the show. (and some of the geldings....silly horse)

It is more a matter of trying to keep him focused on his job. He will be driving but won't keep a steady pace because he is trying to nicker at every horse in the arena and out and of course he can only nicker at them by sticking his nose in the air and we know how good that looks under harness!!! Does not want to stand still in halter either. Not dangerous because he does mind but like a little kid he will square then immediately move. You have to dink with him constantly and again, we know how much the judge likes that as well.

One of the judges that we showed under a couple of weeks ago knows the stallion can do better because he knows us and the horse and suggested something but I can't remember the name of it. I think it had salt in the name. Have any of you heard of this?

We will definately try the vicks though. Thanks for that suggestion.

I tried everything with my stallion to control him better under harness. He would just completely ignore me and just start nickering at mares and being overly obnoxious. Got tired of it and gelded him. He's much better now! He was an angel in every other class, just cart class he would be bad.
default_wacko.png

IMHO I think some missed that point that you are driving him. Vicks is worth a try.

Otherwise the only other way is to discipline him around mares is on your home turf, but that is hard to do if you don't have mares at home that are driving with you in the same arena.

Try pm'ing txminipinto and ask her or another trainer on the forum that drives stallions and ask them for advice.

Does he do this just at shows or at home too? I drive a stallion but he really is the exception to the gender. He's only acted studdy in harness once, at home.....enough said.
default_wink.png
I use a lot of vicks at shows. If he's only doing this at shows, then there's really nothing you can do at home to fix it. You just may have to blow a couple driving classes to get his attention back on you. I currently have a halter stallion that is down right dangerous at shows so I feel your pain!
default_wacko.png

Perhaps a stonger bit? I know when I'm driving Toy and his ears start flicking back and forth I start working his mouth for him to refocus on me. But, he's not your normal stallion either.

Does he do this just at shows or at home too? I drive a stallion but he really is the exception to the gender. He's only acted studdy in harness once, at home.....enough said.
default_wink.png
I use a lot of vicks at shows. If he's only doing this at shows, then there's really nothing you can do at home to fix it. You just may have to blow a couple driving classes to get his attention back on you. I currently have a halter stallion that is down right dangerous at shows so I feel your pain!
default_wacko.png

Perhaps a stonger bit? I know when I'm driving Toy and his ears start flicking back and forth I start working his mouth for him to refocus on me. But, he's not your normal stallion either.
This is actually my moms horse (she is computer handicapped) but I know when I drive him if you mess with the bit to much he will toss his head. He just has a little snaffle. I don't think he is doing this at home but Mom did not have a mare at home until recently. I have a mare I hope to start soon in harness so I may be able to start practicing with them at home and that would give her a chance to correct that behavior also. I agree about blowing a couple classes. I may suggest this to her. I hate messing with him to much myself since it is not my horse. Plus if I blow the class and she does not want me to even though I am 36 I am sure she would still try and put me over her knee....
default_giveup.gif
default_giveup.gif
Can't win for loosing.

Vicks works great in that he will be able to see the other horses but without being able to smell them the incentive to get the ladies attention is gone. We've used it very successfully at shows and also when hauilng stallions/mares in the trailer (or multiple stallions/mares). They can see them right there but the lack of smell throws them.

Also if this stallion has been used for breeding in the past and is now fairly isolated it may just be excitement at seeing other horses - maybe give him permission to blow off steam before you harness him if there is an arena he could be exercised in or lunged or allowed to just scream/visit before he has to get down to work. As long as you are 'allowing' and controlling the when its okay and not it might help.

Then expect perfect manners.

Otherwise gelding is a fabulous cure for studdy!

Latest posts

Back