Advice needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaminmini

Reaction score
default_biggrin.png
I been doing research on the web and talked to a few people about minis, but there isn't too much info on trainers that teach driving to the horse as well as the human driver. Is there any listings or sites to go to? I'm not having much luck. As well as a boarding barn to keep our new addition when we get him, somewhere close to Toronto. I'm not sure whether you can mention specific people or barns, but even if you could steer me to where I can find them. Plus this is mainly for my 7 year old so he may be too young to teach to drive??? (tho I wouldn't mind learning myself) Any advice on this would be great. Thanks.

Hey there!

This is a good place to get mini advice. My advice is too hold off on the driving for a little while until you really know what your future mini is like. However you can always get videos, I know Ozark has videos for sale that not only that trains you to drive but also the horse.

www.minitack.com

Thanks. I saw those videos advertised. Definitely worth getting. I'm in the process of looking and have one good prospect. He is too young to drive right now but we were also going to do some halter classes. He will be a horse to teach my son horse care and grooming and some showing and hopefully eventually drive. He has already been handled by children. The breeder thinks he would have some predisposition toward driving. I do tell people that this is what I would like the horse for. I only joined the forum yesterday but have already discovered a wealth of info.
default_thumbup.gif

My advice is get a horse that is trained and experienced in driving if that is your interest. I have driving horses and small children. I would never advise some one to buy a young horse to learn together with. Yes I have tried it, and yes sometimes it works out. But not always. This horse you said you were looking at sounds good to get you started in minis. Maybe while it is growing up you can get one all trained with miles on. I was new to driving and minis and bought an experienced driving horse. He taught me a lot!

As for your son, he isn't to young to learn to drive. My son will be showing this year and he is 6 1/2. I also have a friend who has had their 5 1/2 year old drive and even show at nationals.

Good luck, and welcome to the world of minis.

Thanks for the good advice. There is another older gelding that drives that we were looking at. Not sure can afford two off the hop...I'm kinda torn (younger one is way too cute) and seems to have the right temperament. But it would be more practical to go with the older more experienced horse. I also still hae to see them in person too so that will also give me a better idea of the fit between the horses and my son and I.

Where are you writing from. I am in Toronto Ontario Canada. The other factor is finding an instructor here and even the 4H up here don't want the kids until they are 10. I could probably go to a private barn but it's finding them that is the issue.

Thank is great that your son drives. I wish you both good luck for the coming year.

I had the same problem you are having when looking for my first show mini. I went to 2 different farms in one day. I was looking at a potential driving horse at one and the one that was broke to drive with a show record. While at the first farm I fell in love with a foal who was reserve national champion down at nationals, and was bred to be a future driver. I REALLY liked him. We then went to look at this other horse. If you went on looks and even personality the foal had me won hands down. In the end I bought the one already trained. No regrets!!! It was the best decision. I think you will know when you see them, trust your gut feeling. He taught me so much and I didn't have to wait 3 years either.

I am from MN, so can't help you on finding a trainer. Sorry. Hopefully you can find a trainer that is willing to work with your son. I don't know if this helps, but even if you can find a large horse trainer that drives in the area, they could help get you started? Hopefully though you can find some mini people close by. Maybe you could check with AMHR/AMHA? Or post an ad here?

Good Luck.

Good idea. I'm looking forward to seeing them. I'm also looking for some shows that I can go to and hopefully make some connections. There is a learn to drive clininc coming up that I want to attend and hopefully get some ideas and maybe meet some trainer/instructors. I will check with AMHR and AMHA and see what they come up with. How long have you had minis and been showing them? How long did it take you to feel competent with your driving, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks again.

You are getting great advice on going for a trained driving horse for your son rather than a young one. It would take a few years before a horse would be trained enough to be truely safe for a young kid, and some are never safe.

If you are able to travel, there is an outstanding clinic coming up in Ohio at McCabe Training center. He is one (actually THE) best driving trainer in the business and his clinics are very educational. I believe the clinic is this month so you would have to plan fast. Just Google McCabe's Training Center, the info is on his website.

You are getting great advice on going for a trained driving horse for your son rather than a young one. It would take a few years before a horse would be trained enough to be truely safe for a young kid, and some are never safe.

If you are able to travel, there is an outstanding clinic coming up in Ohio at McCabe Training center. He is one (actually THE) best driving trainer in the business and his clinics are very educational. I believe the clinic is this month so you would have to plan fast. Just Google McCabe's Training Center, the info is on his website.
Thanks, unfortunately I can't travel that far at this time. Wish I could, tho...
default_wink.png

You can check out the Ontario Miniature horse club and find all kinds of info on breeders and trainers and tack stores in your own area! The web address is www.mhco.ca They have driving clinics and stuff through the year and a calendar that tells you where and when the shows are in or around your area. I have found that most of the mini people in Canada are very helpful!

Latest posts

Back