Advice needed please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vetasst

Reaction score
Help. Yesterday went to purchase a 3yr old jennet
default_aktion033.gif
and came home with 2, the second was a 5 yr old Jenny who is preg. Here is my problem I will try to keep it short... This is my first baby, not sure of when she was bred but she is getting large, her feet are horrable
default_no.gif
(farrier coming on Tuesday), she is slightly thin. (Think i have my work cut out for me). She wasn't cared for the best but i am hoping to turn her around. The 3 yr old is also thin but feet are good and in heat. Both Jennies were in a pasture with a jack since late last summer (no month known) Don't know why the 3 yr old isn't bred but. My questions are... Is there anyway to guess how far along she is? How do i get her in better condition for foaling? I know her feet are going to take a little while to fix. Any help will be greatly appreciated. My bible: foaling manual is in my hand and have read it cover to cover.

Wow, you DO have your work cut out for you. About the only thing you can do too guess her due date is watch her bag. Just get in the habit of looking at it every day so you will notice any changes right away. If she will let you, you can milk a drop of milk out of her to check how it looks. It will get stickier and thicker the closer she gets. Has she ever foaled before?

As to the three year old, sometimes they won't settle until they are 4 or even 5 years old. She may just not be mature enough yet. I had one that had regular heat cycles with an experienced jack, that waited until she was 4 to finally settle. As for their care and nutrition, you might consider getting them on a good vitamin/mineral supplement, and make sure they have free choice mineral available.

Wow, you DO have your work cut out for you. About the only thing you can do too guess her due date is watch her bag. Just get in the habit of looking at it every day so you will notice any changes right away. If she will let you, you can milk a drop of milk out of her to check how it looks. It will get stickier and thicker the closer she gets. Has she ever foaled before?

As to the three year old, sometimes they won't settle until they are 4 or even 5 years old. She may just not be mature enough yet. I had one that had regular heat cycles with an experienced jack, that waited until she was 4 to finally settle. As for their care and nutrition, you might consider getting them on a good vitamin/mineral supplement, and make sure they have free choice mineral available.
Thanks, As far as I know she has only had one other foal. So he bag looks bigger than my maiden jenny. I have Doc comming out next week for good physicals and vaccinations. As far as checking her bag, sometimes she will other times i get a warning kick. I am thinking i am just still new to her. She really has started to warm up to me. Time will tell. Thanks for the advice.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back