advice needed on new pony/big mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
I have known this pony/big mini gelding for the last 5 years and due to his owners move we have acuired him..and we LOVE this guy!!! BUT..he came to us with horrible feet which will be taken care of on Friday..and he is veeeeery chubby...has fat deposits almost like a donkey gets.....I can lay my hand in the dimple on his tail...sigh.....he is such a good guy...how do I approch this safely and keep him healthy??? WWYD?

Please say hello to our Sunny...perlino or cremello? He has light blue eyes and is a creamy butter color.

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0855-1.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

We put a couple of our minis on a Purina product called Natures Essentials Born to Win. It is actually not meant to be a feed, but a suppliment to big horses. Our Purina dealer said it is great for the easy keeper mini or we have a mare that had been foundered. Reason being is you can give them very little and they will still get the vitamins and minerals that they need. If he is still really hungry you could add some beet pulp to help make him feel full.

I had one that came to me with humps. I put him on remission (just a 1/2 - 1/3 a small scoop) in his grain everyday. It helps them use the stored fat in their body safely. Its also full of minerals and made for horses that have foundered. So it would be good for you either way. Just watch his rations. You don't want him to drop his weight fast. But with mine, I gave him a 1/2 a small scoop for a week, then cut him down to a 1/3 after we got it in his system. Works great along with exercise.
default_smile.png

I don't even think it is necessary to grain him. If he is just a pet and not doing anything strenuous, I would just give him a flake of hay two or three times a day or you could free feed hay..or let him graze. I have Sable on three flakes of hay and moderate exercise every two to three days and she does great on this. Right now she is covered in fat lumps too from the broodmare feed so since she isn't in foal I took her off the feed completely. In a month or two I should have the excess fat off.
default_aktion033.gif

thanks...I haver never seen 'lumps' on a horse before...I have him in our yard till his feet get done today...he gets a small bit of hay 2xs a day and a quarter to a half cup Safe & Sound with lots of carrots twice daily....she had him on a can of oats and pasture with hay
default_wacko.png
I really appreciate your input on this thanks again! I am soooo happy he is here..aaahhhhhhh

Keri...what is remission? sounds like something i could use..hee hee..seriousely(?) tho..tell me moreas yes, he has foundered once

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks...I haver never seen 'lumps' on a horse before...I have him in our yard till his feet get done today...he gets a small bit of hay 2xs a day and a quarter to a half cup Safe & Sound with lots of carrots twice daily....she had him on a can of oats and pasture with hay
default_wacko.png
I really appreciate your input on this thanks again! I am soooo happy he is here..aaahhhhhhh

WOW, that boy is obese! Cute guy though!

First you need to eliminate all the carrots!! They are loaded with sugar! No grain whatsoever, this guy is in a very bad way he could founder at the drop of a hat! I would not be surprized if he isn't partially. There is a product called LMF feed that is for insilin resistent horses that would be good for him, just google it and see if you have it in your area. He needs to be on a low starch grass hay, if you can get the LMF it has all the added vitamins and minirals that he would need added so you do not have to worry about him not getting anything. It is kinder to get this weight off him then continue with the treats. Insulin resistent horses get the bubbly yucky fat like this.

NO pasture! He needs to be dry lotted until this is under control.

Also some daily walking and jogging would help tremedously, give him a job to do.

He looks like a sweet guy! Good luck with him!

Kathye,

Purina just came out with a new feed for IR horses, I know Georgetown Farm Supply is carrying it if you want information. She said it is pricey (no surprise) but good feed and comes in two different formulas. He wouldn't need much LOL.

He sure looks like a happy camper.

Jan

Yes, IR horses can get fatty deposits, usually on their withers, backs and especially on their orbital (eye) socket. Symptoms of IR include:

- Easy weight gain

- Abnormal fat desposits such as a cresty neck or lumpy, cellulite-like fat at the tail base. These fat

deposits will usually persist even if the horse loses weight elsewhere on his body

- Puffiness (fat) in the hollows above the eyes

- History of laminitis – commonly induced by grass

- Advanced symptoms include increased thirst and urination, loss of body condition, especially muscle,

weakness, low energy levels

Edit to add: I hate to bring this up, too, but "fluffy" minis could also be at risk for hyperlipidemia:

http://wwwchem.csustan.edu/chem4400/SJBR/99boyce.htm

I've been through that once, and it was not good. Your little guy is absolutely adorable and it sounds like you want to take good care of him!

Liz R.

default_wacko.png

WOW, that boy is obese! Cute guy though!

First you need to eliminate all the carrots!! They are loaded with sugar! No grain whatsoever, this guy is in a very bad way he could founder at the drop of a hat! I would not be surprized if he isn't partially. There is a product called LMF feed that is for insilin resistent horses that would be good for him, just google it and see if you have it in your area. He needs to be on a low starch grass hay, if you can get the LMF it has all the added vitamins and minirals that he would need added so you do not have to worry about him not getting anything. It is kinder to get this weight off him then continue with the treats. Insulin resistent horses get the bubbly yucky fat like this.

NO pasture! He needs to be dry lotted until this is under control.

Also some daily walking and jogging would help tremedously, give him a job to do.

He looks like a sweet guy! Good luck with him!

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
great info..he is broke to drive...should I start him again? Or do you think that would be too much too soon....???? Well I feel stupid....thought carrots would be a good low cal filler...geesh is my face red!!!!!

Carrots are very high in sugar. If you want a good, safe treat for your horse, celery is the best
default_yes.gif

Liz R.

If he was at my place he would get NO grain only hay and be put on a dry lot. Like others have said he is obese and with him being that fat he has fat around the heart. I would gently get him back to exercising.

He is chunky, lumpy and bumpy isn't he?
default_new_shocked.gif

His previous owners were killing him with kindness.

Yes to taking him off grain and carrots. Dry lot with hay until things improve.

He will thank you for it.

Latest posts

Back