Advice needed for mini mare with broken leg

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Marty I firstly want to say that isn't little Daphne lucky to have such a caring and persistant owner like yourself. I can totally understand that you feel you have to try your very best. A big pat on the back.

Not a mini, but I took on a 2 year old ex racer who had a fracture near his hock. He'd previously had ops on it and pins etc, but nothing had worked. Admittedly I worked alongside my Vet as we needed to know the exact picture. He had to stay bandaged and on box rest for over twelve weeks............and having such a youngster like that on box rest was a nightmare!

The fracture did heal in the end, but was not ideal. The raceyard were going to have him PTS, but as I worked there and had my own stables they let me have a go - Hey Presto! I have to say that my Vet bill wasn't as much as I'd expected, but then I did everything myself under their instruction.......except for X Rays
default_smile.png

I think my point it here that I thought the bandages and supports would only be needed for six to eight weeks, but far from it. Your little one has her age against her whereas my lad was very young.

I really hope it all goes well and do keep us all updated.

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to ask for advice on here, Joanne.
default_no.gif
Sounds to me like you're doing an excellent and knowledgeable job of caring for this little mare. Not only is no one on the forum qualified to offer advice on her treatment, no one else has even seen her to know how she really feels. YOU are the who knows her best, and I have no doubt whatsoever that you will never let her suffer. Bless your heart for trying to help her!!!

I do like Stacy's suggestion of calling that vet in WA, though. Sounds like a very similar situation, at least.

Good luck to you and Daphne. She's a very lucky little mare.

Sunny, no one is trying to be mean by not offering advise, but I dont think anyone here wants to be sued by someone else for 'practicing medicine without a license'!!

No, we have not seen the mare nor can we evaluate her condition, so HOW could anyone here even possibly give safe advice when we can't truly see what is going on? Only a qualified vet could help with that.

And I would never want to be responsible for giving someone information that could be wrong, or harmful to their horse, not fully understanding or being able to size up the situation- - - how would the horse owner or caretaker think then?! And who is to blame? I would feel horrible.

This is like trying to diagnose an illness over the phone with your own physician- it would be impossible and your Dr. is not going to do it either, because by law, they are not allowed to here! Neither is a vet supposed to.

I believe that many mentioned it was nice that she is trying to help the mare, however we are unable due to laws in place, and fact that none of us can really help just via a type written message.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for offers of encouragement and suggestions.

Please note: I never actually asked for advice on what to do about this little mare. I only asked if anyone had dealt with a broken fetlock and for ideas of a good support as a transition from her splints. I did not ask anyone on this forum for Veterinary advice.

I am trying to get a used pair of SMBs to cut down to fit her as I think that could help.

I don't write off an animal who is obviously not suffering just because a Vet says they can't help her. I appreciate the positive thoughts sent her way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that Daphne deserves a chance to live.

My internet isn't working too well & I haven't been able to post. The PMs don't work for me to reply. When I press submit it says I have no friends listed. lol!

I have heard from others who have had success with horses with broken bones, which is very rewarding.

Anyway, thanks a bunch. I welcomed all the great ideas and suggestions from everyone.

Have a great day!

Joanne

[email protected]

Sunny, no one is trying to be mean by not offering advise, but I dont think anyone here wants to be sued by someone else for 'practicing medicine without a license'!!

And I would never want to be responsible for giving someone information that could be wrong, or harmful to their horse,

Well then no one should ask anything about de-worming, vaccinating, colic, lameness odd behavior even sheath cleaning or god forbid give advice on foaling out a mare or what is "normal" or answer questions on newborn foals. All of that is veterinary advice and equally practicing medicine without a license yet it is done here on a daily basis
default_wacko.png

It is obvious that any forum is a place to get advice from other laymen not vets and many thousands of people do just that on a daily basis on forums all over the internet.

Some advice might not be sound that is true and some could be life saving like anything else on the internet you have to choose what you would like to apply and throw out the rest.

I do not understand why some medical issues are perfectly acceptable for everyone to throw advice good and bad out there and yet others are not

Last edited by a moderator:
This is in regard to cotton padding for Daphne's leg........

For some reason we no longer can find rolls of cotton, just cotton balls! So, we buy disposable diapers and rip off the outer layer. Sanitary napkins (like Marty mentioned) also work, but you get larger sections of soft cotton from a diaper.

Thanks. That is yet another great idea. I don't consider it Veterinary advice. Just good helpful ideas.
default_smile.png

I few suggestions not know eacatly what the wound looks like or if it aggrevated by the splinting. There are two products that come to mind that I have used successfully over the years. One is Derma Gel excellent product that heals tissues and skin very fast it can be bandaged.I swear you can see the healing from day to day. The other is Aluma Shield a spray on bandage can be bandaged allows the wound to heal from the inside out it basically works like a scab. It can be wrapped. I allow it to dry before I wrap. Great product if there are alot of flies.

Is far as support I would use a regular sized small quilt wrap (front leg horse size) fold the bottom up you can fold it up 2 or 3 times if it is still to long. You will be wrapping the pastern area too. You can cut if it is to bulky at the bottum and fold it less times. Wrap the leg with the quilt, but allow the wrap to be around the pastern. I would use a standing wrap and wrap down the leg around the ankle and pastern, and then up the leg adding support to the pastern area as you wrap. I would change the wrap everyday. You could use vet wrap also but not to tight. If it should slip reset it. I think from past experences that those sports medicine boots are not all that they are cracked up to be. I think in this case your better off supporting it by an old fashion wrap.

As far as turning her out. I would hand walk her. From past experences after the cast was removed the horse needed to be hand walked for 6-8 weeks and then turnout out in a small paddock where they could not get running. I doubt that she will want to put much weight on it at first anyway once the splint is off. She will let you know when she can handle her weight on it.I had a mare with a broken pastern and it was over a year before she could really walk on it and even then she is still gimpy on it. She had 28 pins in her pastern and people said we were crazy. She is broodmare now and had a few foals to boot.

Take baby steps so to speak.

I will not judge you or your situatuion that is gods job to be the judge. You have a big heart and I commend your efforts and I have no doubt that if needed you would do the right thing.

Also I would find another vet in your area sound like you haven't had much success with the one you have currently been using.

Good Luck

What a lucky old girl she is to have found someone ,such as you, who is willing to invest the time and effort into her rehab.

My advice, take the positive ideas and ignore the negative ones. It sounds as if you are doing everything that you can for her.

Good Luck and God Bless you both.

Gary

Hi,Just Daphne, a sweet little 28 yr old Miniature Horse mare, broke her fetlock. She was standing on the side of it with her foot flopping to the side when I found her.

We started off splinting her just to make her more comfortable for the last trip to the Vet as they were too busy to come out.

But it appeared she had no intent of leaving this world yet. So, we have been changing her splints and bandages constantly and she has been spared that journey.

Her leg is definitely healing, though not perfectly straight. Due to a bad sore on the outside of her fetlock, from before her splint, we have done two courses of antibiotics and it is a clean looking wound.

It has been 5 weeks now with the splints and I am looking to take them off in a week if I can come up with the right way to support her leg.

I don't give up easily & I am unwilling to have to tell my friend I had to give up on her dear little Daphne. She was brought here for her retirement when my friend had brain cancer & had to give up her farm. I send her frequent pictures and updates and we just aren't ready to let her go.

Has anyone ever dealt with a broken fetlock? My biggest concern is whether the tendons will heal. It felt like top & bottom of her fetlock was broken & her foot was loose like a rag. Now if I hold her leg, it no longer flops. But she has not been allowed yet to put pressure on it without the splints.

With splints on, she gently uses it to paw the stall and her toe rests on the ground. But the splint takes weight as well. Lately she has learned to hop & hold it up. She is pretty agile for a 28 yr old! She is getting daily MSM & glucosomine.

I have a TENS which I bought to rehab Lulu, another injured mini & it really helped. So, I plan to use that to try & help her leg get back in shape once the splints are off.

I purchased a pair of little neoprene splint type boots & am hoping they might help. But I am not sure they will be stiff enough. I thought I could get a few different types of support ready for her & then they can be changed as needed. It will sure help once the sore heals up.

Anyway, it would be helpful to hear from someone who has had success with this type of injury. I'm afraid to talke the splint off in case she needs it. Thanks a bunch.

DSCN2021daphne.jpg

I had a mare come up lame one morning. I called my vet, but she was out of the Country. I had another vet come to look at her. This vet told me she had a fractured sholder and it would be best for me to put her down. I looked the mare in her eyes and could see her spirit was not broken. I waited for two weeks with my mare on stall rest for my vet to get back. The mare was in alot of pain and I had to take her water/feed to her -where she stood in her stall. When my vet finally got back in town, she came out to take a look. I ask her if I should put the mare down. She explained there was no way to splint her shoulder, but because the bone was not out of place she had hope that it would heal. The vet put her on an anti inflamatory, vit E gel caps, Gastrogaurd and something to help her bloodflow. She also recomended we rub her shoulder in DMSO daily. The mare was on stall rest for 4months and then on light turnout for 6 more months. Now she is perfectly healed and does not have any problems. I know your situation is different, but just keep the faith. You will know if it is time to let her go. (This is not vet advice, just what happened to me) Good Luck!

Hi,

We just rewrapped Daphne's leg. It has beeen 6.5 weeks and the swelling is all gone! Her leg is looking straight except for the bump where the sore is on the side of her fetlock. That is healing, though slowly. But it looks healthy. I'm sure it will heal fast once it no longer needs to be wrapped with splints over it. Also, I finally got a type of gauze pad that doesn't stick. I'm sure it was set back each bandage change as it would bleed.

This is a high strung little mare and she hates cameras. Every time I try to sneak a picture, she flies down the stall & she can do rollbacks like a 5 yr old! She also races over to get her apples for a treat & is definitely not feeling any pain!

Anyway, I am feeling really good about her leg at this point. Though I think we will keep up the splinting for another couple of weeks to be on the safe side.

In answer to questions of how we are splinting Daphne's leg..

We are using layers.

First is a non stick gauze pad with Hibitane antibiotic ointment over her sore. Then wrapped with gauze. Then a couple wraps of Vetrap. Always careful to have no wrinkles.

Then a cotton stocking. I buy toddlers leggings and cut the legs off to use.

I have exhausted the supply in 100 Mile House. haha.

Then over the stocking I wrap a shipping boot which is lined with hypoallergenic polyester fleece. Over that comes the splints. They are padded plastic ones for a person but placed upside down. Over everything, is a full roll of Vetrap. ( I have gone through about 16 rolls so far)

This seems to be working well to keep her leg immobilized. Only her toe is exposed. We do this every few days.

Anyway, I just wanted to let those interested, have an update. I appreciate everyone's good wishes.

I am also really appreciative of the many great ideas and suggestions of various wound remedies and alternative padding.

The Hibitane I buy from the Vet has been fantastic stuff & helps prevent infection so I think I'll stick with it while her splints are on. I may try something different if it hasn't healed by the time the splints are removed.

The biggest problem is living in an area where it is difficult getting things when needed. Simple things like standing bandages & quilt wraps are not easy to come by. So I improvise. It took me 3 weeks to get non stick gauze pads!

It is great hearing the experiences others have had with their horses recovering from various broken bones. It is amazing how many have had success when the Vets have given up or have been unwilling to try.

In our case there are 4 Vets in the area working out of the same clinic. But they don't work at the same time. When Daphne got hurt it was after hours and only one Vet on call & already at an emergency. I did persist & did get to consult with a Vet to make sure I was on the right track after the fact. I don't think she would fare well with a long drive trying to stand. So, taking her out of town wasn't an option. Anyway, I feel sure that Daphne is on the road to recovery.
default_biggrin.png

It maybe illeagle to play vet, but how many of you play Dr. on yourself or your children??? That is illeagle as well. It's not like she is getting paid to do this and if she pretty much owns the mare, than she can do what she wants for the best intrest of her mare (her bussness) she wasnt asking for medical advice just if someone has had this issue before. Sounds like I would be doing the same thing if I was in that position and always play vet at my farm as well. You cant count on most vets now a days as most are only after your $$$ and got thie licence out of a cracker jack box. Everytime I had a vet out, it was a TOTAL waste of my time & $$$ to have them either tell me "they dont know" "not knowledgeable in miniatures" or tell me the same thing I already knew. I truely will only get a vet out if needed but it feels like their only there to give me the run a round or to agree with me and than take my $$$ for nothing. NOT SAYING ALL VETS ARE THIS WAY... JUST MOST OF THEM ANYMORE! A great vet is one of the old timers (if not retired or dead), their the ones who care and are helpfull. Their is a high risk in what she is doing for the mare BUT she's there and seeing her in person and if her gut is telling her everything is ok... Great, the gut never lies.

GREAT JOB and hope the mare recovers soon! LOTS OF HUGS!

If you need to keep this up for awhile yet, you can buy vetwrap in bulk boxes which brings the price of a roll down to .79 or .89 a roll. A nice little savings. I buy from Jeffers Supply or horse.com.

Joanne,

TO answer your question...yes, I have had a mini mare with a fractured hock.

In January, I went out to feed one morning and my mare would not come in to eat. It took everything I had to get her in a stall. She would put no weight on her right hind leg but other than that, nothing was apparent. I took her to the vet and after xrays, it was determined that she had a severe fracture in the hock. She was in a lot of pain. Surgery was not an option because of the severity and euthanizing was not my option. My son-in-law, who is the best vet ever
default_biggrin.png
default_wub.png
, told me that I could bring her home, keep her confined and pray. I asked him about putting a splint on her leg. He rigged up a full limb splint, much like is used for a dog or a cat. It is kinda hard to explain, but it supported her from her hip to her hoof. We went back to the clinic every 4 weeks to have it changed and she had it on for 6months. The healing process takes a long time. She has now had the splnt off for 3 weeks and is doing remarkable. Although she does not place the hoof flat on the ground, everyday it goes down more. I know her show carreer is over, but I am just hoping and praying for breeding soundness. Hoping that by next year she can go in with the stallion.

Hope this helps.

I commend you for giving her every Chance you can . I completely understand not having the funds and trying with all your heart to help them rather than give up. You know your horse. If shes in extreme pain , then I would agree and say it's time to euthanize her. However, if she's in good spirits and seems to show healing I'd say you're doing great and keep it up . You seem to be taking the best steps for her. I would agree that trying to limit time without the splint may be smart at first and then letting her go without it for more and more time to rebuild the muscles and strengthen the tendons. bless your heart for giving her your faith and love

Latest posts

Back