Advice needed about buying a snow blower

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
I can't find a snow blower anywhere. I waited too long. I am going to try to order one on line from Lowes.

I need one that will clear a good path and areas for the horses and a 500 + foot driveway at least.

Something easy for ME to use. I don't want to mix gas and oil and want an electric push button start.

Which ones do you like? Advice needed PLEASE??? I can't do this shoveling much longer with my joint issues and my husband keeps muttering nasty things about having horses. This will be a big help.

Thanks,

Robin

we have 2 types of snow blowers.One has the circular teeth that cuts through the snow and spits it out over the top , and we have a grass cutter with removable teeth that came with a snow plow...We have been using the snow plow instead of the chopper -grinder one. the plow is more effecient , and safer in my oppinion. The other will spit out whatever it catches, ...stones, twigs, a bottle etc... I prefer the plow type. IMO good luck We have a hotel parkinglot that we plow all winter long.

Thank you.

Krissy, I appreciate your thoughts.

Lori... I called John Deere. Taking orders until 12noon today but won't be available for another week, but I found Peach Tree has Troy Bilts coming in this pm or tomorrow and I am getting one from there. Another snow like this one and it will ruin all the surgery I just had. This will be a huge load off of my mind.

Now, if I can figure out why my water trough heaters aren't working. I checked the fuse boxes etc.

Thanks!

Robin

I BOUGHT ONE!!!!! HURRAH!!!!!!

Its a big one though a Troy-bilt 2840 with a 28" width path that it clears.

It was so heavy that it took my husband and another big man to get it in the truck and to get it out of the truck.

I am just learning how to use it, it is a little scarey. This beast is so powerful, I am glad that it stops if you take your hands off the handles. In first gear, its very fast, I can not imagine using a higher speed, really!

We got about another foot of snow and now its doing a downpour of freezing rain. We are expected to get a lot more snow after the freezing rain, oh joy! I just spent almost two hours hitting trees with brooms and shovels so that limbs wont get weighed down and break my fencing.

Robin

default_aktion033.gif

so glad you got one, you'll be glad you got a big one

clearing on a farm you'll find you need it

Glad you were able to find one Robin, after all the snow this year I'm think I need to get one also (or a snowmobile to get me to the barn). I really like the kind that attach to the tractor PTO though. My neighbor has one, and it is awesome. Anybody have any suggestions for that type?

Glad you got a snow blower.My best thing for the snow is the friendship I have developed with a young man from Guatamala.He is 28 and a nice person with a very strong work ethic.He will do anything I ask here on the farm.He has another night job, but will come here during the day.He and a friend came and shoveled show for 7 hrs 1 day and 5 the next.He will help with the horses and even clipped bridle paths when I had surgery.He has a wife and young daughter and is saving money to return home and build a house on his mother's farm.We would have been lost without him during the snow.Both Karl and I have recent surgery issues and bad backs and knees.He has even agreed to come and spend the night here if another monster storm is in the forcast.He helps in the summer with mowing and putting hay in the loft and heavy lifting.I know he is anxious to return to his native country, but I hope he is here a few more years.Maybe you can find someone like him in your area.

Glad you got a snow blower.My best thing for the snow is the friendship I have developed with a young man from Guatamala.He is 28 and a nice person with a very strong work ethic.He will do anything I ask here on the farm.He has another night job, but will come here during the day.He and a friend came and shoveled show for 7 hrs 1 day and 5 the next.He will help with the horses and even clipped bridle paths when I had surgery.He has a wife and young daughter and is saving money to return home and build a house on his mother's farm.We would have been lost without him during the snow.Both Karl and I have recent surgery issues and bad backs and knees.He has even agreed to come and spend the night here if another monster storm is in the forcast.He helps in the summer with mowing and putting hay in the loft and heavy lifting.I know he is anxious to return to his native country, but I hope he is here a few more years.Maybe you can find someone like him in your area.

Bevann...does he have a brother?
default_laugh.png
People like that are worth their weight in gold!!

Wow, I wish there was somebody arpound to work here like that, Bev!

Bev,How is your shoulder doing?

I return to work this week, but my shoulder is still semi- frozen and I need more surgery to repair my torn biceps muscle. I ran out of sick time so that will have to wait a long while to get it done till I accumulate more sick time.

The snow blower we bought is a monster machine and works really well. Its a blessing with that blizzard. I wish we had it sooner.

Now, I am praying for a lot of warm rain to get rid of the deep snow so that I can get the barn yards and surroundings back to normal!

Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, I am praying for a lot of warm rain to get rid of the deep snow so that I can get the barn yards and surroundings back to normal!Robin
I hear that! Where we snow blowed paths is all melting, but the bulk of the corrals and turn outs are still under snow. Some as deep as 2 1/2 feet still. Rains are due to come in this evening...I can honestly say I don't remember when I've wanted it to rain so badly ....so we can rid of some of this white stuff which has turned hard and crunchy and trecherous. I'm glad your snow blower is working exceptionally well for you! Makes a big difference I'm sure. And you're probably feeling as tho now you have someone guarding your back when it dumps some more of this mess again.
default_laugh.png
Just don't overdo and be careful with your shoulder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Sterling, I will take care.

OOOH! Its raining, how lovely! The stalls are all stripped and freshly bedded nicely, the water troughs are scrubbed clean and the heaters are working well , that is such a relief. I can't wait for the remaining two foot of snow to go away so that I can really clean the barn yards better and actually push the wheel barrow around. I have been using a muck bucket on a sled!!!

Robin

Robin- the shoulder is better, but not much strength in my right arm.I am not sure it will ever be right again, but it doesn't hurt all the time like before.Now I am dealing with back issues, but no time for a lumbar epidural since Karl has hip replacement on Wed Feb 24 so I have to do more than usual for a while.This aging process sucks.We have lots of snow everywhere in spite of some rain.I still have pastures we can't use due to high piles in front of gates.We will have months of cleanup from broken tree limbs and snow piles with dirt mixed in from backhoe pusing it around to get to barn and animals.It has been a very expensive storm so far.My gas logs burned and house is coverd in black soot so all that has to be scrubbed.The logs kept us warm when we had no power, but did make a mess.I don't care if I ever see snow again.

Latest posts

Back