Advice for showing mare and foal current year AMHR?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBittyBritches

Reaction score
We are wanting to show our current year foals this year for the first time. It is only our second year showing AMHR all together. Any advice for showing such a young one with momma? Thanks!

The class is shown just like any other halter class except you only walk into the ring and set them up for the judge. You need two handlers and set them up side by side, both are shown in show halters and the handler of the mare wears the number.

Ok thanks. Im assuming it is normal for the mare to not be perfectly conditioned due to just having a foal? or is it judged soley on the foal?

You are being judged on both. Mare can be wet or dry, both should be show ready, clipped, conditioned, etc. But I didn't condition my baby at all, and only lightly worked the mare.

What is expected regarding the set up of the foal? What should be trained with the foal?

The foal should be halter broke, and lead willingly. You set the foal up beside the mare and show just as in any other halter class, such as weanling. Only you don't need to trot, you just walk into the ring and set up your horses for inspection.

Just to clarify--are you planning to enter only "mare and foal" classes? Or are you meaning that you are going to bring the mare & foal to the show & show the foal in the foal classes?

I ask because not all AMHR shows offer "mare & foal class"--as I recall that is an optional class, and falls into the combined division A & B classes, for mares 38" and under. I'd probably be safe in saying most shows do not offer it--I know our shows here do not include that one. In that class the mare & foal go into the ring together.

The regular foal classes are just for the foal--the mare is not allowed into the ring when you are showing her baby. So--you will have to leave the mare in her stall or have someone hold her outside the ring (which can often mean she fusses and hollers and manages to get the foal upset--foals often show better if mom is left back in the stall so baby cannot hear or see her). The foal should be halter broke and leading well enough that you can lead him places on his own. He should be able to set up a little bit--if there are others in the class there's a good chance that some foals are going to behave and show better than others, and the judge might favor the foal that actually stands up and gives the judge a chance to look at his conformation. Overall though I think judges are probably more forgiving of foals--but it's still nice if baby will lead along quite well & show himself off a little when stood up.

Obviously the mare's condition won't matter if you are showing only the foal; for mare and foal classes, yes, since the mare is being judged her condition may count toward her placing. According to the rule book the mare and foal class is judged 100% on conformation and uniformity. Obviously a broodmare isn't likely to be as svelte and well conditioned as a mare showing in the regular classes, but at the same time a very potty "well sprung" mare probably isn't going to score as high as a more streamlined mare of comparable quality.

A broodmare with foal at side can be entered in either broodmare or the regular aged mare class--but either way the foal can not go into the ring with her.

I showed a foal last year and it surprisingly went very well. It was a 2 day show-AMHR and then AMHA. The colt led very well and even when he decided he needed to jump around and kick up his heels, he was right there with me. The judges got a good laugh, that boy was very full of himself. First day setting up was terrible. I let my boyfriend do it and he just didn't know how to handle a rowdy colt who was missing his momma. Second day went great-got him set up (a little too stretched, but the judges were lenient since he was so young and learning) and he was a good boy. Did excellent in his multi color class that day. In AMHA at the end they have you set up the horse and show then. The colt set right up for me and gave the judges a few more giggles
default_smile.png
He was entertaining and was by far ny favorite to show. I would worry about some getting too upset and making themselves sick, but he loved it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back