Adventures!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took Stormy & Breezy over to my friend Liz’s house yesterday for her annual Obstacle Course Play Day. They did so good and we all had a wonderful time. Hubby was able to join me along with our neighbors Tessa & Joe. I had Stormy trotting and cantering up and down hills & ditches, it was so much fun I couldn’t stop smiling and giggling!!

Hubby & me on the drive to Liz’s:
View attachment 47040

Breezy & me:
View attachment 47041

Stormy & me in cart
Breezy & Tessa in the back:
View attachment 47042

There were about 15-20 big horses at the event:
View attachment 47043

Tessa & Breezy, the 17hh Percheron, Me & Stormy:
View attachment 47044

Joe & Breezy:
View attachment 47045

Me & Stormy:
View attachment 47046

SAFETY FIRST!
A few safety issues to remember when out in a large group of big horses:
1. If you see a big horse with rider getting scared, STOP, & wait until the big horse calms down
2. If a big horse doesn’t calm down, turn around and go the other way AND/OR talk to the rider to make sure they are ok and how they want you to proceed
3. Keep your distance from other horses, you never know how one will react to a miniature horse, & never go nose to nose with a biggie
4. Don’t run or trot through horses who are NOT familiar with a cart
5. Just because a big horse has a mini friend at home, doesn’t mean he won’t be scared of your mini
6. While in carriage, never get trapped along the side and in between 2 big horses, always have a way out
7. Never tie you mini to a round pen, one kick by a big horse could end in disaster

Can you think of anymore safety items to add to the list?

PS. Video coming soon 😍
Looks fun. Let me know if it's close. I would love to come! BECKY

Loving having this guy in our yard. We do something with him everyday so he feels part of the family. Today we had the vet out to check his teeth and was happy with them but suggested a full dental towards the end of the year when his adult teeth come in a bit more. The dental speculum they brought did not fit little Apaché very well, but the vet could see enough and was satisfied. Later, Dusty, had a lot of fun feeding Apaché hay and apple cores through the fence and declared “Apaché loves me!” ❤️❤️❤️ A big breakthrough as Dusty has been deservedly scared of Apaché since the move... He got stampeded at and bitten as Apaché was settling in. He’s ok, but has stayed away from the pony ever since. But after he had a great time feeding Apaché through the fence yesterday we put Apaché’s halter on and set up a tiny jump and we took turns running up and down and around and over the jump. Dusty was exhausted and lay down and Apaché decided he wanted to roll at the same time... See my little temporary chicken house in the background... the chickens are not huge fans and have taken to laying their eggs in the agapanthus.

Attachments

• 26234351-5E7A-4DC3-81F8-96A04FD994DA.jpeg
    26234351-5E7A-4DC3-81F8-96A04FD994DA.jpeg
    551.5 KB · Views: 15
Stormy took me to TRT Main Park this morning where we had a beautiful drive. The weather was perfect! I am so impressed with the kind of trail horse Stormy is turning into. Not much bothers him plus he is always looking to me for guidance. We trotted all around the park today and had a blast! 💕💕

BD7E32A1-76E1-4732-BF5B-3BE9A26F57AA.jpeg

Other horses…they do exsist!
A66CB3CD-C84A-49FE-A190-9BB048900F58.jpeg

We packed Bee up like a sardine and made a 4 1/2 hour (thanks traffic) trek to the Annual DDC Pleasure Drive Show in MD. I was the chauffeur and groom for the weekend so Katie and Bee could show.

20220513_122944.jpg

It was Bee's second driving show and for only driving for about ten months, she was perfect! She was a little worried about not being able to see out of the stall in an unfamiliar place, but she was eating, drinking, and ended up relaxing.

20220513_175106.jpg

We had a BLAST hanging out at stabling the night before and day of. Even if it's a hike for you, I highly recommend this show. Everyone is super friendly and the show grounds are a great size with everything in one area so you don't have to make a trek. The rings are mostly flat and well draining so even though it downpoured part of the morning, the footing was fine!

VideoCapture_20220514-121934.jpg
VideoCapture_20220514-122008.jpg

There were people from all over, even from Connecticut! We saw some familiar faces from other driving activities we have participated in as well.

Unfortunately we haven't been able to get wooden wheels yet ($$$) and the tire on the cart we borrowed blew the first class. It didn't make a noise, but she spooked a bit then carried on into the line up where we realized. Our friend we went with was able to fix it and Katie and Bee were able to finish the rest of the day after only missing one class!

20220514_141720.jpg

VideoCapture_20220514-221724.jpg
VideoCapture_20220514-221215.jpg
received_561306175447820 (1).jpg

Bee came away with a first in Gambler's Choice, second in super reinsmanship, a fifth in turnout, and fourth in a cross country drive (pinwheels are terrifying so there were some delays and spooks lol off to the dollar store I go to work on desensitization).

Overall this was the adventure of a lifetime and we can't wait for the next one!!

We were going to try to go to Elk Creek to do a CT, but we are going to hold off and maybe do a dressage test at an open 4H hosted show in May's Landing, NJ in June.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20220514-221215.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220514-221215.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Everything Taz says! 👍 The photos are wonderful, and I love the quiet barn photo, everyone tucked up, everything clean and sparkling, and an adventure on the horizon! Anticipation!

You both looked beautiful and so professionally turned out! Congratulations on your ribbons! So much time and practice goes into those ribbons of satin!

The future dressage show sounds like a fabulous trip. Looking forward to hearing about it in the future!

Oh, ♥ your van too!😂

We packed Bee up like a sardine.....
What brand of sardines?!😆

I don't care for sardines, HOWEVER, if there was a chance I'd find a Bee in one, I'd buy them by the case!!

I'll add my congratulations too. All you folks with the nifty vans are making me envious. It does seem to make it easier to get out for adventures, and Bee's performance shows they don't mind the ride.🥰

Congratulations to you and Bee on a job well done!!! You mentioned that she has only been driving for 10 months. Wondering how long you have been driving.

She had to deal with a lot of new things and the tire blowing, but you carried on.

I think your turn out is beautiful too!
I've only been driving for ten months now too! But Katie is at the reins in almost all the pictures you'll see of Bee hitched. She's been driving since 2012-ish when she was able to join the Carriage Club in college! She also groomed for a FEI driver after college before moving on to working in veterinary medicine as a tech. I'm the photographer and own the pony. 😂 I hate showing!

Also edited to add that I did ground driving with Bee for about five years before I sent her to the trainer to put her to cart!

Last edited:
All that ground driving you did surely set Bee up for success when you put her into training.

What an awesome experience for Katie that must have been to be involved in the carriage club! It takes a lot of practice to become a skilled driver and I am working on it but like you I don't have the drive to show but admire people that do.

We meet up with our friend Julie and her horse Hollie at TRT Hogsett trailhead. We had a great time and both horses behaved beautifully.

Julie, Stormy, & me scooping out parking for Julie’s horse trailer. Can’t remember if I have said this lately, but I LOVE MY VAN!! 💕💕
F4DF817F-3176-42E7-B25E-B399A6F4605E.jpeg

Downtown Fort Worth:
31E3FA47-2724-4FA7-8901-A6D0D99E4A53.jpeg

Hyperbiking:
174492DF-73D8-410D-8AF3-47516E5C524A.jpeg

B0BDD115-200F-4BB3-992E-E4BBF50FBB47.jpeg

Latest posts

Back