Adventures!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had such an eventful day yesterday. We had all the littles out in the arena and were working on exposure to each other in tack and harness. We only have one operational cart right now, but we also have a nice big tire we drag around. I realized that none of our littles has really had any exposure to other littles working with vehicles and we're all entered in a clinic and show at the end of May. It was so much fun, the ponies (and donkey) did great! But the only picture I got was at the end of the day. Phillippe decided he was afraid of his new rain sheet. I had to remind him about wearing clothes and his sister Jasmine had to wear the rain sheet before Phillippe realized that it wasn't going to eat him. Poor little dude. He's only almost 3 years old.

Is it bad that his whole purpose in life is to make me happy? I can't tell you how happy it makes me to spend money on buying things for him. Cooler, rain sheet, just ordered a winter blanket, and a custom harness! New vehicle will be next (cart, not truck...) He's definitely my mental health therapy. <3

Attachments

• Phillippe 3.jpg
    Phillippe 3.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 1
What a lovely photo and venue. Volunteering at the Carolina Horse Park is on my list of things to do. They host many H/J, Eventing and schooling activities for the biggies. They added ponies divisions this year. I'm still searching to see if they'll be doing any driving events this year.

Edited to add, since Standards Equine was posting while I was:

"Vicariously loving ❤ and hugging you Phillipe!!"

Great pcs Willow!! 💕💕💕

Is it bad that his whole purpose in life is to make me happy? I can't tell you how happy it makes me to spend money on buying things for him. Cooler, rain sheet, just ordered a winter blanket, and a custom harness! New vehicle will be next (cart, not truck...) He's definitely my mental health therapy. <3
THIS!! 💕💕😍😍

We took our girls to our friend's farm to drive Bee. Thistle came along just to chill! Then we left the girls there and we all went shopping out in New Holland. We hit up Driving Essentials and Yonies to get some things that we need for the Delmarva show next month. It was so much fun!

Bee had her first experience driving on the road! It was very quiet and only a few cars passed. She was fine with those and more concerned about the sound of the other minis' hooves on the pavement. 🤣 We went super slow as she's barefoot and I didn't want her to slip. We will hopefully get her some Cavallo boots soon.

VideoCapture_20220425-204830.jpg
VideoCapture_20220425-204640.jpg
VideoCapture_20220425-204313.jpg
VideoCapture_20220425-204235.jpg
VideoCapture_20220425-203954.jpg

Your driving area is very pretty. Your dog is enjoying the view too. ;) The ponies all look wonderful and so clean! Mine still look a bit like they’ve been dragged through a bush backwards! 🤣 It’s been cold again, this morning is 20 degrees, so no clipping, just simple brush outs.

Love your pink accents and how in the world do you keep the pink so pristine?

It sounds like a great day for everyone! Shopping for horse shows is always fun!

Love your pink accents and how in the world do you keep the pink so pristine?

The lines are biothane which help keep them clean and I keep the harness/pads/lines in a tough 1 3 hook bridle bag to keep them out if the light and dirt. I think that helps keep everything nice and bright! Bee is also pretty clean mostly so she doesn't get them icky. We haven't worked hard enough for her to sweat hard yet this year. 🤣

MaryFlora, do you have family from the South? Or inherited Southern culture?

When I first arrived in NC, and had my first hot humid summer, the ladies heard me lamenting sweating and replied, "Southern ladies don't sweat, we glisten" in a rather haughty tones of voice. 😶‍🌫️😆

I took Stormy & Breezy over to my friend Liz’s house yesterday for her annual Obstacle Course Play Day. They did so good and we all had a wonderful time. Hubby was able to join me along with our neighbors Tessa & Joe. I had Stormy trotting and cantering up and down hills & ditches, it was so much fun I couldn’t stop smiling and giggling!!

Hubby & me on the drive to Liz’s:
2B665EC4-A5FD-4D08-A8F2-6E2476EB3E29.jpeg

Breezy & me:
D0047D1A-6DC4-42DA-ABF3-55D441FCC3B4.jpeg

Stormy & me in cart
Breezy & Tessa in the back:
925A5407-B184-4A35-A67F-9E507C5B8D17.jpeg

There were about 15-20 big horses at the event:
1E3C3770-6D46-4045-9491-0633BE8758F5.jpeg

Tessa & Breezy, the 17hh Percheron, Me & Stormy:
2F425F3E-1034-4286-ADC0-CCF1B3B2830C.jpeg

Joe & Breezy:
5BD74995-A9AC-4AB2-BF50-90004CCBF390.jpeg

Me & Stormy:
EA72B969-390D-42FD-BE9D-D19041D9CB8D.jpeg

SAFETY FIRST!
A few safety issues to remember when out in a large group of big horses:
1. If you see a big horse with rider getting scared, STOP, & wait until the big horse calms down
2. If a big horse doesn’t calm down, turn around and go the other way AND/OR talk to the rider to make sure they are ok and how they want you to proceed
3. Keep your distance from other horses, you never know how one will react to a miniature horse, & never go nose to nose with a biggie
4. Don’t run or trot through horses who are NOT familiar with a cart
5. Just because a big horse has a mini friend at home, doesn’t mean he won’t be scared of your mini
6. While in carriage, never get trapped along the side and in between 2 big horses, always have a way out
7. Never tie you mini to a round pen, one kick by a big horse could end in disaster

Can you think of anymore safety items to add to the list?

PS. Video coming soon 😍

Looks like a lot of fun Kelly!!!!! Looking forward to the video.

I would add one more thing to the list. I know it's not cool, but wear a helmet. It just takes a second for things to go south in a new situation. A mini spooked at the HDT this weekend and bolted and ended up flipping the cart and the drivers face got all cut up.
A couple of weeks ago the woman I sold my cart to had an accident when her horse took off with her and she broke her shoulder and some ribs. 😩

Thanks for sharing, Kelly! The obstacle event looks fun and also full of useful practice for everyday life.

Your tips are excellent and also Willow Flats - helmets.👍👍

I do hope the folks involved in the accidents, Willow Flats, continue to recover well. Both very frightening experiences!

Latest posts

Back