Adult height

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reignmaker Miniatures

Reaction score
I know there are many different ways that people guess the adult height of their foals (big and little) I am curious about what methods everyone uses. Recently my SIL told me one I hadn't heard of. She was told to measure from the ground to the hock on her foal and that length will never change. So if your foal has say 10 inches from ground to hock they will be exceedingly small. I said that didn't make sense since to have a mere 10" as an adult you would either have a tiny horse or one with short legs and there would be no way to guess which one. What do you think? Seem reasonable? Ever heard of this before or got any other ways you use to figure height?

This may be hard to explain in writing. Usually I show people how to measure.

If you take a rope and hold it at the point of the elbow on one of the front legs and measure to the ergot at the back of the fetlock, mark keep your fingers at that point, continue holding the other end at the point of the elbow. The distance from the point of the elbow to the ergot will be the same distance from the point of the elbow to the highest point of the withers when the horse is grown.

The only time I haven't seen this work to judge adult height is on a dwarf.

Works on big and little horses.

Try it on your grown horses and then see the difference in the young horses measurements.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back