Adopting from Humane Society

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We own 2 Min Pins. One is 13 yrs old now and I've had him since he was 9 months old...he is my "heart" dog.
default_wub.png
The other is now 11 yrs old and we didn't get her til she was 10 (someone was giving her away on Craigslist and she is mostly blind...and I just couldn't bare for someone who doesn't know the breed or take into consideration her condition to take her because she was "free"). Min Pins are active, but they also like to cuddle...under a blanket! They can be very demanding, yet they are independent as well...and have a "big dog personality" (think big Dobie...lol). They are protective, but if you get one that has been socialized properly, they are great people dogs.

As far as adopting an adult dog. I think 5 yrs old is a great age dog to get. Yes, you will have less time overall with them than you would a puppy, but if they are a good fit, then the time you do have will be "fulfilling". Even our 11 yr old girl, we knew when we got her that her time with us would be limited, but she knows she has her forever home with us and we make her life with us the best we can.

Good luck on your search for a new "furchild". I understand how difficult it is to adopt a new one when your heart is still healing, but it sounds like you are ready.

I hope you will share when you adopt one!
default_smile.png

Well on Tuesday I had gone to look at him myself at the humane society and fell in love, felt an instant connection with him but was worried that he would be "to much" for my parents to handle and deal with. My parents are both in their 80's and Sassy was so calm and content, easy to have around. I wanted them to see him, and took them yesterday to see him and I think his bouncing 5 ft up in the air and bouncing off the wall of his kennel put them off, he is just a little to much for them. They laid on that they want something close to Sassy, calm and small and just as loving. So, I just do not feel it is fair to the dog to bring him home if my parents are going to resent him. He is a full 100% flip side of what Sassy was. If it was just me (and it isn't), I would love to have a Min Pin or two actually, however, what I want is not what my parents can accept, and you don't always get what you want...However, I can give my heart to anything, i'd just perfer it being a min pin
default_smile.png

I kind of want the complete opposite of Sassy (I want a boy, and total different look), and they want the closest thing to Sassy (same breed, female, color, personality).....like I said...what I want is not what i usually get....

However -
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
I did contact the breeder we got Sass from as a pup and he has a litter of FULL siblings to sassy, 6 wks old that will be able to leave on the 21st of this month. 3 boys, 2 girls. My pick of the litter. I have a feeling that this will be the way we go, like I said I can give my heart to anything and perhaps even feel like part of sassy is running in them.

I kind of want the complete opposite of Sassy (I want a boy, and total different look), and they want the closest thing to Sassy (same breed, female, color, personality).....like I said...what I want is not what i usually get....

However -
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
I did contact the breeder we got Sass from as a pup and he has a litter of FULL siblings to sassy, 6 wks old that will be able to leave on the 21st of this month. 3 boys, 2 girls. My pick of the litter. I have a feeling that this will be the way we go, like I said I can give my heart to anything and perhaps even feel like part of sassy is running in them.
Aw, sorry it won't work out with the min pin. but, perhaps one of those puppies will fit the bill; perhaps a different colored boy, just to be a little difficult.
default_wink.png
default_yes.gif

I think you are being smart about how you are going about this. And including your parents and their needs is good of you. Although I can't imagine how you have parents in their 80s!!! If my parents were still alive, by mom would be 84 this year and my dad would be 109, but I'm 46!!!

Best of luck with the litter. If you find the "one" you will know it. Hugs to you.

Parmela I was a "surprise" baby.....my parents had just started planning to retire and well, then I came along. They were going to buy an RV and drive all over the country...then I happened. That is how they explaine it to me LOL. I am the baby, my next brother is 41, 42 and 44. Needless to say, 22 years after I came along, they no longer sleep in the same bed LOL!

Thanks dear
default_smile.png

Leeana,

I think that it is great that you are considering rescueing a dog, it is a great thing to do!! I'm also very sorry to hear of loss. However there is nothing better than adopting an older dog, in my opinion. We adopted a 5 year old lab mix from the local SPCA and she was one of the best dogs you could ever have. I would highly suggest adopting an older dog to everyone, no housetraining (usually) or teething, older dogs are just overall great members of the family. Unfortunatley we just lost our 15 year old, that same lab mix yesterday she was truly one of the best dogs you could ever ask for. There is nothing better than saving a life, so don't ever be afraid to give your heart to and older dog.

Dan.

ETA: I wrote this post real quick before I ran down the barn without reading the entirety of the thread. I hope that you will be able to make that connection with one of Sassy's syblings!! Best of luck on your search!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Senior/older dogs, are sadly the very last to be adopted. Same with black dogs. For some reasons people don't like black dogs. Puppies and young dogs, can usually find homes. We adopted a senior dog. He was 10 at the time. Lived until just over 16, so we did have several good years with him.

For older people, I do recommend adopting a senior dog. It doesn't usually outlive them.

And while on the subject, do make sure that someone in your family will keep your dog/s for ever, should you pass away and put it in writing. Same goes for all your animals. I had a friend years ago, who had a beloved Chihuahua. He was called Peanut and was quite a famous little dog. She had hundreds of clothes for him and was often on TV. He was her entire life. The lady suddenly died, alone in her home. Her kids took Peanut to the pound. Since he was then older, I suspect he faced the gas chamber. I didn't find out until the deed was done, or I would have taken the little dog. This was in the '70's and I still think about that little dog, to this day.

Please do make arrangements for your pets, should you outlive them.

Lizzie

^ ^ ^

Amen Lizzie -- YES to this!

Most people would be shocked at the number of times people's beloved pets end up in a bad way after their owners pass on. It is heartbreaking. Be sure to find "godparents" for your pets who are prepared to care for your pet in the case of your death.

As for bonding, I've bonded just as closely with the dogs I've adopted later in lafe as with the puppies. No bond could ever surpass that of my husband and Teddie, the Yorkshire Terror. Teddie was six when we adopted him. He started out as a foster dog, but he took one look at Keith and declared him his human. I was superfluous, and in bed Teddie would spoon against Keith's stomach and try to kick me out of bed. He died while Keith was at work, but went to his music studio where I found him with his nose pressed against the door.

Sophie, an adult poodle/Maltese mix, also was our foster dog before she was placed in a very loving home. She had bonded with me, however, and never took to her new home. She pined and ran away several times before her adoptive mother realized Sophie would never adjust. She came back to me and lived out her life as my loyal friend.

Leeanna, I think it's great that you're considering your parents in your choice. In this case, getting a full sibling to Sassy is a sweet and wise choice.

Latest posts

Back