Adopting from Humane Society

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Hello,

As some of you may know I lost my best friend and angel last week, my Sassy (It hurts to even type that!!). It has been hard to say the least, was times when I thought for sure I would never get over this and the pain would kill me, but as of today....I think I may actually survive this...

She was a Shih Tzu, and I dearly loved the breed, and it will always have a soft spot in my heart. I always loved the Min Pin breed as well, and I have been looking more into it the last couple days. I am kind of in a bind, of the heart, I mostly want a best friend to spend and dedicate myself to...to make the happiest dog on the planet....I like the idea of rescueing, however, raising a pup from a baby kind of tugs my maternal instincs. I think it would bring me MUCH joy to know I rescued a dog.

I looked online at what the humane society's around me had to offer and scanned them yesterday, top of my list was a 5yr old male min pin. He stole my heart......I am just not 100% sure I want to give my heart to something at 5 years old, I know that sounsd selfish, but I cannot help but think that is 5 less years I would have with him....although I know they are very healthy dogs and live a long time (part of why I am interested in them).

I guess my question is - have you at all regretted adopting a "adult" dog from a rescue vrs raising a pup? The nice thing is they are fixed, utd and trained to lead and house broken.

I cannot be dogless, its been almost a week and my heart is healing and will need to heal...actually am doing better then I thought I would, still have my crying spells. I just want to share my heart and life with someone special....Its something I think both myself and the dog deserves.

Also - anyone who owns a Min Pin, if they could chime in....I'd love to hear more about the breed. In fact I may just make another topic so these two don't mesh....

Thank you thank you..

Leeana

I know cats are very different from dogs, but my Mom adopted an adult cat from a humane society and he was a very nice cat, she had him for close to 10 years, I think it was (might have been longer, I'm not sure). She loved that cat.

I think at the very least, you might want to meet the Min Pin at the shelter, you never know he might just be the one, even if you would have less years with him, as he's an adult, he might be just what you are looking for and/or need. Good luck with your search.

I'm so sorry you lost your baby, it never gets any easier to lose one of our four legged babies. I would also recommend go see for yourself. I once adopted a five yr. old dog and he is still with me many yrs. later.

Leeanna, At times when our place has looked like a retirement home, we've adopted and fostered so many senior dogs.

I've never regretted one.

It's true that you may not have them as long, but it's not the length of time you have, it's the amount of love.

We fostered one little mixed breed guy, Tuck. He had had a loving home, but his elderly owners were placed by their son in a retirement home. This son could not be bothered to even try to find a home that would let them bring their beloved dog -- he told them he'd find a home for Tuck, then took him to the vet and said, "Just put him to sleep. They'll never know."

The vet couldn't bring himself to put down this sweet dog, who was only six years old, so he brought him to Pet Adoptions Westside. Keith and I were their go-to small dog foster home, and Tuck came to stay with us.

PAWS has a policy of carefully vetting any potential home, so we spoke with several people before we met a young woman who was an extremely brittle diabetic. She fell in love with Tuck and he with her. Before he went home with her, he saw the vet one more time, as we had noticed a swelling on his leg and wanted it checked.

It was cancer, and his leg was amputated.

The shelter director called the woman and said we would understand if she didn't feel like she could take him on, considering his new disability and shortened life expectancy. Her response: "He is my dog. I want Tuck."

So Tuck went to live with her in a large security apartment building. She had the support of her landlord, her doctor, and her sister (who lived on another floor in the same building). Tuck quickly came to know everyone in the building. This was a friendly place, where everyone left their doors open for one another. One day, the sister was in her apartment when Tuck came in, barking and clearly upset. She took him back to his home, where she found her sister in a diabetic coma. Tuck had come for help.

This disposable dog had saved his person's life.

The next year was tough for both Tuck and his owner. Tuck's cancer had metastasized (although he was, for the time being, comfortable) and the woman was placed in a full care facility -- albeit one that accepted dogs, as long as they were quiet and well-behaved.

One day the staff heard Tuck barking incessantly. Irritated that this supposedly quiet dog was raising such a ruckus, they went to the woman's room, where they found her passed out on the floor.

Once again, Tuck had saved her life.

Not too long after that, Tuck's cancer reached a point where he was in pain, and he was put to sleep. In the short time he lived after the couple's son had declared him worthless, he proved he wasn't garbage, but a treasure.

We've loved every mature and senior dog that has come to live with us; they offer every bit as much love as a puppy, even if compressed into fewer years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely story Susanne.

My daughter recently adopted a Chihuahua x Min Pin, adult female. Guard dog to the extreme and with a surprisingly huge bark. She sounds like a much larger dog, if you don't see her. Adores her new family, but have no doubt she would bite if pressed.

We have adopted several seniors, over the years. So many need homes.

Lizzie

I did go and look at him yesterday, the shelter was so packed at the front desk that after looking (AND i was a little emotional afterwards), I didn't stop to ask many questions but did just give them a call with some questions to ask. Made an apt to go back on Friday to get him out and walk him and be able to go in the pen with him.

How sweet susane
default_wub.png

Leeana, we've adopted a couple adult, or nearly adult, dogs over the years. I think when you raise one from a puppy, it usually bonds more closely to you and vice versa. However, awhile back (year? longer? I loose track...) we adopted an 11mos old black shih-tzu from our friend, Cheryl Powell. Cheryl (a vet) had rescued her and she had a bad eye infection and the eye had to be removed, she had to be spayed, etc. "Wylie" had been living in a kennel with a Great Dane because the breeder didn't think she was worthy as she has a overbite. She has bonded to us so tightly and is every much as much "our baby" as Watson and Wilson, so it worked great! And it feels good to give a dog in need a home. Wylie seems to really know she has a good life now, too. She is the embodiment of JOY. Such a happy happy girl, but also VERY smart. She is a golden perfect girl. I don't think she does anything wrong and she gives Wilson and Watson a run for their money because she is so playful (and they are fairly lazy!). I am looking forward to seeing what you get and hearing all about him or her! You need to get a baby and new best friend
default_wub.png
It helps with healing, so much!

You'll know if he is a match. We adopted a kitten, she literally picked us out. For years, as far back as we could remember, we had orange tabbies. We were set on getting a different color after a good 30 years with orange cats. We walked the isle with all the cats and one was crying and actually sticking it paw out and grabbing us, we walked away, she would go into a corner, hiss and spit at the other cats and kittens in the kitty enclosure. We walked back, she would reach out and cry again, guess what, we ended up with another orange tabby. You'll know if he is right for you, and in the process, if not him, there may be another that picks you.

Leeana, I'm glad you are considering him. You will "know" if he's the right fit for you.

We've adopted adult and senior dogs (and cats) over the years and have never been sorry. In fact, we both have agreed that we wil always have at least one senior dog that we've adopted.

As Susanne said, "it's not the length of time you have, it's the amount of love."

I am so sorry about your Sassy, I know how heartbreaking it is to lose your heart dog like that.

Glad you are looking at another dog, be sure and look at several when you go back. Min Pins are wrapped pretty tight, they are very intense, active, can be a real hand full. Make sure to find out why he is there.

Shelter dogs are the best, they just seem to know you have saved them from something bad. Take the environment into account, try to spend some time with the dogs you are interested in to try to get an idea of their personality. If you can, talk to volunteers that know the dogs, they can be a huge help.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

We adopted a 4 year old last year, and I have to say she is one of the best dogs I have ever had in my life! When we adopted her, she had a litter of pups that were also for adoption... so... after a week of having this dog, and realizing what a heart of gold she has, we of course went back and adopted the last of her pups that was still up for adoption! The best decision we could have ever made
default_smile.png

Liz N.

I have had a Min Pin, a beautiful breed but they are energetic and a little more "small dog" personality than a Shih Tzu. I lost my little Shih Tzu, Dragon, about three years ago, they are such quietly loving little things, very attention driven but I never found demanding at all. The Min Pin, just a "bit" more demanding. LOL

I would definitely look at an older dog. Once you have your new one I don't think the amount of time with the will factor in much. I have all "rescue" dogs right now, and they are such happy appreciative dogs.

My mom started "fostering" dogs and ended up taking in some senior dogs permanently. She just loves them and it is so rewarding.

Two years ago we went to the ASPCA up north and got our Anatolian girl. She was about 6 months old.

BEST dog in the world!!!!!! If we were to get another dog we'd go adopt again.

She came with shots, fixed, wormed, claws trimmed, food, collar & leash, insured, and a CD!

I have had a Min Pin, a beautiful breed but they are energetic and a little more "small dog" personality than a Shih Tzu. I lost my little Shih Tzu, Dragon, about three years ago, they are such quietly loving little things, very attention driven but I never found demanding at all. The Min Pin, just a "bit" more demanding. LOL

I would definitely look at an older dog. Once you have your new one I don't think the amount of time with the will factor in much. I have all "rescue" dogs right now, and they are such happy appreciative dogs.

My mom started "fostering" dogs and ended up taking in some senior dogs permanently. She just loves them and it is so rewarding.
James.... How is Oliver? Meant to ask earlier !

I just came in from playing fetch with him. I don't know, I may just have to keep him, he is just such a happy eager little guy.
default_smile.png

Leeana, so sorry for your loss of Sassy. I know it hurts.

Over the years I have owned many dogs and fostered probably close to 50. I personally doubt I'll ever get another that is under 5. Of the four I have currently, 3 are over 12 and the other is 5. Oscar I've had since he was 8 weeks, Taco and Darcy were both over 10 when I adopted them and Chesus was adopted a couple of months ago at 5. I adore senior dogs! They know the ropes, are so happy to be loved and just want to be your friend.

Do what your heart tells you. There are no wrong answers.

Last edited:
I adopted a Lab who was ten. He only stayed 20 months, but I tried to make that the best 20 months he had. Finally his legs failed and I let him go.

Yeah, he was worth it.

When I lost Forrest last December, I was devastated (and still am) But I knew I HAD to fill that hole and got a puppy a few weeks later. Now, although I love Finn dearly and would never give him up, I wish I had gotten an older dog. Finn is very....exhuberant. Plus he still has to be kenneled during the day and I am at work almost 11 hours. We do OK though and we play all evening when I feed.

I say if he fits your bill and catches your heart, go for it.

I am glad you are looking to share your love and care and home with a homeless dog. There are so many loving cats and dogs looking for a loving permanent home! Puppies are placed so much quicker and for them that is great but what about the older ones. the never asked to be abandoned. Sometimes it takes a few weeks of adjusting. You never know what they have been through, poor things. Ask lots of questions and ask to spend some time with him. In your heart you will know within a few minutes if you can open your heart and home. I personally think you are doing the right thing and I truly pray you will give this one a loving home.

Hi, if you can, try to check out rescue dogs that are currently in a foster home. You will most likely get an excellent description of the dogs behaviors and temperament. Foster moms don't want their babies to bounce back from their new homes so they are very up front and honest about any issues and they work hard to iron out any training issues before adopting out. On min pins, didn't read all the postings, but you can try min pin rescue... you can also call minpin breeders. Often you can find a pup the breeder might have held back for showing and perhaps the bite isn't quite true, or the dog matured a bit larger or smaller than expected. These breeders pups often are very socialized having gone to shows and met tons of people, are crate trained and leash trained. You can also get a very young dog from them too. I love these types of dogs. I got my collie like that, she didn't develop enough coat to be a show dog and her breeder called my trainer looking for a farm home. I had recently lost two older dogs (german shepherd and dobie) to cancer on one and a degenerative spine disease on the other. I got my collie for free, all I had to do was pay for the spay. That was 7 years ago, she is still with me. She was 10 months old when I got her. She is awesome! Best wishes and happy dog hunting to you! Adair

Latest posts

Back