adjusting to grass

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
How long do you give a big horse to adjust?

She is out in a paddock that isnt overly lush but does have a decent amount of grass. I put her out during the day and stall her at night. How long should I do this before I can safely leave her out all the time?

The previous people had already started to adjust her back.

IMO if she is already out all day you have nothing to worry about as long as her manure is firm. I start my minis out about 30 minutes a day and work them up from there adding 15-30 minutes a day for a couple of weeks.

I play it hyper safe we had a shetland pony 30 years ago that coliced looking at new grass. So I always start them at 10 minutes for a week and increase by 5 minutes every week.

I would agree, if she's already out 50% of the time and fine she can probably handle 100% of the time.

As others have said she is fine to go ahead and move on to full turnout. Just keep an eye on her manure. Also if she begins to get more than usual umm.. gassy then you know to cut back slightly untill she full adjusts..

IMO if she is already out all day you have nothing to worry about as long as her manure is firm. I start my minis out about 30 minutes a day and work them up from there adding 15-30 minutes a day for a couple of weeks.

We do pretty much the same except that we start ours out at about 15 minutes a day, but right now our grass is pretty lush and green with all the moisture we have had.

Latest posts

Back