Adding Obstacle classes at Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinisOutWest

Reaction score
I have just finished the signature page that can be printed out and taken to the shows for signatures. This request is to add Amateur Halter Obstacle and Amateur Driving Obstacle at the AMHR National Show. Only AMHR members can sign this, because we need their member #'s on the page. I am working on the explanation letter right now.

I am also working on an individual request page too, for those who will not be at Nationals or catch someone at a local show.

But email me at [email protected] to get a copy of the signature page and request/explanation page.

These sheets must either be given back to me at Nationals or mailed to me by October 1st, then I can make copies and send them all in at one time to the show dept, directors, etc.

Thank you, Angela !!!

Let me know what I can do to help.

I'll be in Tulsa if you need me.

Justine

Could you please explain this a bit more? Forgive my ignorance (never been to Nationals), but I am having a hard time believing that these 2 classes aren't offered at AMHR Nationals now. Is that really true?? I would certainly agree that they ought to be, but is there some reason why they aren't?? Is there another side to the story???

I asked the question in another thread about why AMHR has open and youth halter and driving obstacle but not for amateur. The answer seemed to be that there weren't that many trainers showing so open was enough because there was no time for the added classes for amateur. I also asked how come those classes weren't offered at the National level but are at the local and regional level, yet In hand roadster is offered at Nationals and no where else. So thats basically what got it started.

I am glad to see people taking action to change this, its important for the amateurs I think.

I have finished all the letters, multiple signature page, individual signature page and FYI sheet- how to fill everything out with deadline dates and all.

Multiple Signature form-I am looking for people right now who will be attending shows/ meetings/ clinics before the Nationals Show. People who can get signatures from members, who are in good standing, to sign the multiple signature form, in which I will be submitting to AMHR, BOD, and others on the list it has to be submitted to.

Individual Signature Letter- For those who are members, in good standing, and you will not be heading to a show or be at the National Show, you can contact me for the individual signature page

That is correct, Amateur Halter and Driving Obstacle are not on the class list for the National Show. This is what my request is about.

I know we have a short time to do this, but I know we can. Now we need to come together as a member group- get the signatures- and I will present this thru the correct channels.

All the signature pages must be sent back to me by Sept 30, 2008.

If you email me and request to be put on the email list, I will keep you posted on the amount of signatures we have collected so far.

You may contact me by

Angela Holmes

719.942.5515 lv message

719.942.5505 fax

email

POB 290 Coaldale CO 81222

Thanks so much for everyone who has contacted me so far to help with this.
default_aktion033.gif

I just want to make a comment - first, I don't show in halter or driving obstacle, but have had the privelege to judge them at many shows and also watch them at the AMHR Nationals. I looked through last years' printed book and didn't see any trainers' in the Open halter or driving obstacle classes (granted I could have missed some) so it would seem valid that mostly amateurs are entering the Open classes.

My question is this, as it seems to have already been raised slightly, if the classes you propose are added (Halter and Driving obstacle for amateurs), then we would have to have an Over and Under division for both of those categories. Now, we have added 4 classes. If we have a minimum of obstacles for each division, lets' say 5 for arguement sake, and each obstacle is given a one minute time frame - that makes a maximum of 5 minutes per horse. Looking at last years' entries, there were roughly 20-30 horses in some of the obstacle classes. This makes for a total time of 1 hour and 40 minutes PER CLASS.

Now, don't get me wrong. I fully support everyone being able to enter the classes that they qualify to enter and have worked hard to perfect (and I've seen some REMARKABLE obstacle animals). BUT, if those 4 classes are added at the times figured above, thats almost 7 hours of additional classes. I'm sorry, but that's a long day judging, showing, etc... Plus, since these classes would be added to the amateur portion of the AMHR Nationals, it would almost postpone the start of the open division until nearly one week after the start of the show. Currently the youth/amateurs show first and show from Thursday-Sunday, Futurity is Monday, then the Open classes start on Tuesday-Saturday. With the proposed added classes, then realistically the show would extend another day.

From a financial standpoint (and I'm lucky to have great clients who help cover SOME of my stay at Nationals), it would seem almost impossible for me to be present for the entire show WITH THE HELP! I can't imagine the family who has youth and then shows open as well. That's a 12-13 day vacation...... We may be making people choose to only show in one division.

Just my two cents (even though it looks like a dollars' worth).

Latest posts

Back