Adding a ramp to a stock trailer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
I have always preferred a ramp load trailer. Now I have just bought a stock trailer that is, of course, a step up. I thought perhaps a step up would work okay, and it does. We tried loading a few horses this morning and yeah, they loaded & unloaded okay. It's not a high trailer as step up trailers go, but when you lead the smaller minis up to it, it suddenly looks very high. I now know for sure--I don't like it. All it takes is a slip if the horse tries to jump out too quickly, or a slip of a hind foot while loading & the hind leg goes under the trailer...and you have a hurt horse.

I know there are people that have added ramps to a trailer like this--something that is fixed to slide under the trailer & fasten in place when not in use. If there's anyone here that has added such a ramp, can you just let me know a bit about how you attached it for use, and how it was secured in place under the trailer?

Did you make the ramp of wood, or of metal with wood/rubber inserts on the surface? The alternative would be to make a ramp that once we're loaded I'd throw into the back of the truck--but that might prove to be a real nuisance & much more work that pulling it out from under the trailer. I'm interested in hearing any and all suggestions!

I wish I'd went in & got the camera & taken a photo Thursday night when I got home with this trailer. I back it into place & got out of the truck, and within 2 minutes that trailer was swarmed with cats. There were cats on the fenders, cats around it, one cat under it, one cat on the roof. George, the biggest cat of all, got up on the fender, stood up on his hind legs & reached his paws way up & was trying to see in through the windows. It sure did look funny. If someone else drives into our yard with a truck & trailer there might be a couple cats that wander over, but they don't all come to check it out. This was as if one of them shouted "Hey, look, Mom's home & come see what she's brought with her!"

My husband works at Big Tex Horse Trailers, and they add ramps to existing trailers. I think he said it costs about $400.00 for 1/2 ramp. It is welded behind your existing door, and lifts up and bolted down when not in use. Check out any trailer dealers in your area, they should be able to help. I may be getting him to add one to my trailer, he just doesn't know it yet.
default_whistling.gif
:

If you would email me, I can email you a bunch of photos of one I had with a ramp, to give you an idea as to how you might add one.

I have always preferred a ramp load trailer. Now I have just bought a stock trailer that is, of course, a step up. I thought perhaps a step up would work okay, and it does. We tried loading a few horses this morning and yeah, they loaded & unloaded okay. It's not a high trailer as step up trailers go, but when you lead the smaller minis up to it, it suddenly looks very high. I now know for sure--I don't like it. All it takes is a slip if the horse tries to jump out too quickly, or a slip of a hind foot while loading & the hind leg goes under the trailer...and you have a hurt horse.

I know there are people that have added ramps to a trailer like this--something that is fixed to slide under the trailer & fasten in place when not in use. If there's anyone here that has added such a ramp, can you just let me know a bit about how you attached it for use, and how it was secured in place under the trailer?

Did you make the ramp of wood, or of metal with wood/rubber inserts on the surface? The alternative would be to make a ramp that once we're loaded I'd throw into the back of the truck--but that might prove to be a real nuisance & much more work that pulling it out from under the trailer. I'm interested in hearing any and all suggestions!

I wish I'd went in & got the camera & taken a photo Thursday night when I got home with this trailer. I back it into place & got out of the truck, and within 2 minutes that trailer was swarmed with cats. There were cats on the fenders, cats around it, one cat under it, one cat on the roof. George, the biggest cat of all, got up on the fender, stood up on his hind legs & reached his paws way up & was trying to see in through the windows. It sure did look funny. If someone else drives into our yard with a truck & trailer there might be a couple cats that wander over, but they don't all come to check it out. This was as if one of them shouted "Hey, look, Mom's home & come see what she's brought with her!"
Hi,
I have this same question, but can't seem to find an answer anywhere on the forum. I got a quote for $1500. To add a ramp to my stock trailer. Looking for another solution. Maybe a wheel chair ramp? Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back