Addicted to clipping?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSRminis

Reaction score
OK-Let me start with I am NO GOOD at it! We dont show so never had a reason too but last year I had a mare that just did NOT shed out...so took the dog clippers and gave it a try. She was very good about it and I know she felt better. Well then along came a one spot Appy colt, and an ??? color filly so I clipped them too . Well hubby really liked the looks of them clipped. Fast forward to this year and the addition of Maxines Shammy and Shadow that I know are used to being clipped-so I did their heads. Shammy really enjoyed it and we really bonded during it. Shadow was a good boy too. Well I had SOO much fun I started clipping EVERYONE! Only two left to do, heads and necks that is, and I cant wait to get started on the bodys. YIPPEEE this is fun!!!

P.S. PLEASE dont ask for pics...as stated above I am NOT good at it!

I always love to clip the yearlings down. I have 3 in the heated barn right now, so they got clipped this weekend and they are everything and more that I had hoped for.

It is just too cold and will be for at least another month, to clip anyone else down. Which I guess is good as my body at the end of the day is just dead!! It is tough getting old!!
default_wacko.png

I also am not fantastic at clipping- I love to do it- I start by head and necking and just keep going. Next weekend my hubby has promised to hold the 2 baby colts so that the can get beautified.......little bays...

I can identify with both of you! Too cold here for a full body clip, but a few warm days and I needed to do some clipping. I started with heads and necks on the 2 show horses, and then did the belly clip on the very pregnant mare. I was using cordless clippers on her, in the turnout, without a halter. Not only did she stand quietly, several others lined up for their turn! So I did a few more heads and necks on the ones that shoved to the front of the line. This included our notorious gelding Cowboy, who normally HATES to be clipped. I guess that's how you can tell when it is time to clip - when they stand in line and then stand quietly without being tied while you clip them! It was pretty funny. Sorry no pictures - I was going for comfort only, and not looks!

Geez! I like the look of them clipped, but my body says this isn't too much fun when I do a couple full body clips in a day. Want to come clip mine???
default_biggrin.png

If you invest in some nice clippers such as double Ks or Laube's, it helps immensely. I started out with a wahl 5-in-one clipper and it was a terrible mess! Then I got Laubes and the hair just comes right off.
default_smile.png

The first few head / neck clips are fun ....there after, that changes very quickly
default_smile.png
. I have a classic filly that i completely dread the thought of having to body clip ..i already know that i must have a twitch on hand and a shot of rompun
default_smile.png

Clipping is fun ...about 3 hours after you are finished and have came inside and had a nice big Ice Tea and sat in the A/C for a bit.
default_biggrin.png

Its the clipping 5 +/- horses in 100 degree weather that i dread ....

I can relate to most of the comments.

I love "unwrapping" them after the cold winter.

I wish I was better at clipping, but I think my problem is mainly "going way too fast"
default_yes.gif

I can't wait till the warmer weather is here to stay so I cam complete some real messes
default_aktion033.gif

I have every style clipper available but mainly stick to the Double K's.

Latest posts

Back