Active Service Military Dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baptism

Reaction score
Every fall my late father's VFW puts together "Treats for Troops" boxes to send to deployed soldiers for Christmas. My mom belongs to the VFW Auxiliary and just now told me they also include deployed Military Dogs! Each dog gets his or her own box also! All year the Auxiliary collects items for the boxes, which are quite large and include almost anything you would use personally or around the house. I doubt the dogs would be impressed with a roll of duct tape or greeting cards but will love the doggy snacks I will donate to the box. Can anyone give me anymore ideas? Those dogs are awesome!

I think this is a great idea! Can the dogs have toys? Bones, blankies or beds, brushes, dog shampoo and conditioner, new collars and leashes. Do they need flea treatments? Maybe one of the organizers of the program could tell you what sort of items they use/need most. There could be things that they really like/need that are difficult to get over there. I'm sure they will appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a wonderful organization your Mom is involved in!! the soldiers and their dogs are sure to be very appreciative of the care packages. To add to amysues great recommendations I copied the following from the U.S.War Dog Association Website.

Items for our K9 Friends
K9 Cooling Collars (Summer Months)
K9 Blankets (Winter Months)
K9 Boots, Medium & Large (All Year)
K9 Doggles - dog goggles (All Year)
Collapsible Nylon Dog Bowls
Kong 3” Rubber Balls
Large Rope Chews
K9 Grooming Tools-Combs, Brushes, etc.
K9 Nail Clippers
K9 Sleeping Mats
K9 Toothpaste & Toothbrush
K9 Eye Drops
K9 Ear Wash
K9 Advantix, Flea and Tic Treatment
K9 Salves for paws/noses
Towels to wipe paws
True Chews Chicken Jerky
True Chews Beef Bully Sticks
K9 Treats Made in the USA ONLY

#DogsonDeployment

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a retired police dog as a barn dog.

They need TOUGH toys - they aren't your house pet! He has a 4" thick rope - and he LOVES it. The extra tough Kong toys are good, as are hard chews. B

Latest posts

Back