Acorns!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pitter Patter, how's everyone doing??????
The people in my home have COVID. Animals seem to be doing better actually! Pepper at least looks to have bounced back to normal and at the very least isn't bloated any more! Volt has lost some weight so still a little worried about him but his personality is coming back closer to normal. New girl still has occasional diarrhea, but much improved. I need to get an equine dentist out here for her because she is dropping food often and sometimes turns her head to the side and up like she's trying to "unhook" something in her mouth (she's done that even before I got her!). Had my crabby vet scheduled to come out for the ponies and to neuter my daughter's dog but then we all ended up with COVID so had to cancel his visit for now. Still crossing my fingers for the ponies. They still aren't thrilled with Patches and it turns out she appears to be in a dominance run-off with Snickers. Pepper is still boss but she's a little intimidated by Patches. Haven't been out there too much because they don't need COVID on top of everything else right now. I hope everyone has a great New Year! Stay safe and healthy because this crud is not fun.

OH NO!!! Is everyone (people) doing OK? No one seriously sick?
Glad your ponies are getting better at least. I find attitude always comes back first, Volt should start putting weight on again. That definitely sounds like teeth for Patches. Your cranky (for lack of writing a better word) vet better get there as soon as you're all healthy again.
Hoping you all get over it fast. Please let us know how you're doing, I'm going to worry until I hear your healthy again.

The people in my home have COVID. Animals seem to be doing better actually! Pepper at least looks to have bounced back to normal and at the very least isn't bloated any more! Volt has lost some weight so still a little worried about him but his personality is coming back closer to normal. New girl still has occasional diarrhea, but much improved. I need to get an equine dentist out here for her because she is dropping food often and sometimes turns her head to the side and up like she's trying to "unhook" something in her mouth (she's done that even before I got her!). Had my crabby vet scheduled to come out for the ponies and to neuter my daughter's dog but then we all ended up with COVID so had to cancel his visit for now. Still crossing my fingers for the ponies. They still aren't thrilled with Patches and it turns out she appears to be in a dominance run-off with Snickers. Pepper is still boss but she's a little intimidated by Patches. Haven't been out there too much because they don't need COVID on top of everything else right now. I hope everyone has a great New Year! Stay safe and healthy because this crud is not fun.
Oh no! I hope everyone recovers!! Do you have it?

Oh no! I hope everyone recovers!! Do you have it?
Yes. Where I work they test us twice weekly. On Dec.21 I was negative and on Dec.23 I was positive, but the results weren't back until Christmas day. I got called by employer Christmas evening AFTER my kids came to celebrate. Just went back to work yesterday and the unit I work on is quarantined. So nice to be treated like a leper by other staff, even though many of them have had it too. We wear full PPE just to sit at a desk (in my situation). Told not to see other staff, residents unless absolutely necessary. If that's the case, they shouldn't have required me to come back. Sat all day with N95 mask, full face shield, gown, gloves. Long day. Off today with migraine (started last night because I didn't eat lunch--can't bring it in, they feed us however I was told not to go in kitchen). Needless to say frustrating to be at work, yet not really work. We have several residents and staff out with COVID and the count goes up daily. I think eventually they may need me to help with our COVID + residents (I'm a social worker, not a nurse or an aide). If you all have managed to not get COVID, it is not fun. Still coughing. Kids have rebounded quicker. I still feed my animals but try not to interact much (so hard!) and they don't understand at all. Minis just stare at me and wonder what's up. Poor babies! Can't explain it to them. I have heard animals can get it too. :(

I'm so sorry to hear you got it and that your employer is being weird about it! This seems to be common. I also get tested twice a week at work (I work in a research lab, not studying COVID, but my university tests everyone who works in person twice a week). They're doing a great job with the testing program but if someone tests positive there is bizarre theatrics to keep up a pretense of anonymity which is sort of half laughable (since there are so few of us in person currently, it's pretty obvious who it was if someone comes up positive, because they suddenly disappear) and half seriously inconvenient when trying to figure out contacts and what places to clean. Initially they wouldn't let us use fridges or microwaves either which I thought was just dumb, I don't think the virus can survive being microwaved. 🤪

I don't think horses can get it. Dogs, it seems maybe but not very easily. I'm pretty sure my daughter and I had it back at the very beginning before any testing was available - if so it was a nasty thing, we were down for the count. She bounced back pretty fast (she was 5 at the time) but it took me a solid month to feel anywhere near normal again and I had COVID toes for a couple of months after the other symptoms went away. Kept trying to blame my poor dog for stepping on my feet but eventually realized there was no way a 50-lb dog could have made all of my toes twice their normal size and purple!

Anyway I hope you continue to feel better and that things improve for you at work!

I'm so sorry to hear you got it and that your employer is being weird about it! This seems to be common. I also get tested twice a week at work (I work in a research lab, not studying COVID, but my university tests everyone who works in person twice a week). They're doing a great job with the testing program but if someone tests positive there is bizarre theatrics to keep up a pretense of anonymity which is sort of half laughable (since there are so few of us in person currently, it's pretty obvious who it was if someone comes up positive, because they suddenly disappear) and half seriously inconvenient when trying to figure out contacts and what places to clean. Initially they wouldn't let us use fridges or microwaves either which I thought was just dumb, I don't think the virus can survive being microwaved. 🤪

I don't think horses can get it. Dogs, it seems maybe but not very easily. I'm pretty sure my daughter and I had it back at the very beginning before any testing was available - if so it was a nasty thing, we were down for the count. She bounced back pretty fast (she was 5 at the time) but it took me a solid month to feel anywhere near normal again and I had COVID toes for a couple of months after the other symptoms went away. Kept trying to blame my poor dog for stepping on my feet but eventually realized there was no way a 50-lb dog could have made all of my toes twice their normal size and purple!

Anyway I hope you continue to feel better and that things improve for you at work!
COVID toes? Never heard of that one. Another thing to worry about! I have asthma but it's very rare I need an inhaler (usually for allergic reactions in my case), but I can't shake this cough. Lungs hurt. Got scared a couple of times over weekend with oxygenation when the beds of nails started to turn blue, but calmed down and tried to breathe slow and easy and it all worked out. Everyone kept asking me if I checked my o2 levels and I couldn't figure out how on earth you can do that without the proper equipment. So, apparently I'm the last one to know "there's an app for that!". Seriously?! There's an "app" for everything! So if anyone gets sick, that's an option, although I don't know how accurate it is. My employer tries to keep it hush hush about who has it, but we all know and I asked work to please let everyone know because it's stupid not to-at least have everyone monitor for symptoms! I work in a large county owned skilled nursing facility. I am terrified we may lose some of our residents and several are over 100 years old. It's a tough time for sure!

The toe thing is because in some people the inflammation can damage the capillaries - so you basically get chilblains (like you'd get from near-frostbite), clusters of broken capillaries. Feels like a bruise. You'd know if you had it! I don't think it's a problem in and of itself, just painful.

Some of the students here started a Slack channel to communicate about cases in the buildings, since the university doesn't share this information. I understand about privacy and all but I personally prefer to know what's around me - I don't need to know WHO it is as much as WHERE it is.

Ugh, sorry to hear, @Pitter Patter ! I hope you recover quickly and fully!! You can get a finger oxygen % reader online for pretty cheap I think...

How awful! You should be getting the time off work until you are feeling better, it's not helping anyone for you to be there right now. People are funny how they react.... Hope you feel better soon, please stay in touch.

/snip/
Everyone kept asking me if I checked my o2 levels and I couldn't figure out how on earth you can do that without the proper equipment. /snip/

I am likely misreading your note. Reading blood oxygen saturation level is easy with a pulse oximeter. You can get one at Walgreens for instance for ~ $30 It clips over a finger nail and reads variation in LED light transmission during a pulse.

Latest posts

Back