Acorns!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some sad news...Cottontail passed away yesterday late morning. My sweet girl is gone and it's hard to believe. My vet did come after I called him crying. He got there too late and confirmed her death. He said he couldn't decipher exactly why she had died and then decided maybe it was sand. Told him I'd been giving them all Sand Clear. When my boyfriend and a friend's son went to bury her for me they noticed some slight blood that came out after normal looking stool and she had a spot of blood on the inside of her nose. So I don't know what to think except that I wanted smack the vet for not coming before. It doesn't help to be too mad though. Only gets me elevated blood pressure. She didn't appear "colicky" at all and she was 25 years old. She had a lot of trouble keeping weight on no matter how much she ate. Anyway, vet said it isn't anything contagious (hopefully). The other minis kept coming to see her while I was with her and two of them bit her muzzle. That surprised me until I learned they were just trying to get her to get up on her feet.. When the vet left I couldn't help but remind him that I "worry too much." We were preparing for our first nursing home visit this coming week too. Now I have to start with one of the others but none of them could possibly be ready before spring. Has anyone ever used a stallion for a therapy horse? On a more positive note, Snicker's baby is moving :).

Oh I am so sorry Pitter Patter!! 💔 Hopefully she went peacefully. Sounds like she had a good, long life with lots of love. Let me know if there is anything I can do. ❤ RIP Cottontail

I’m so sorry to read about Cottontail. Your vet is a jerk and I don’t blame you for feeling like smacking him, but I have to agree with you about it just raising your blood pressure. Take the time to grieve your girl. I’m sure she knew that she was much loved. Hang in there. ❤️

Pitter Patter,
I am so very sad to hear this news. Such a hard thing to go through. I hope it helps to know we care about how you are feeling.💔
Thank you everyone. As you know, it is difficult. I was able to stay by her side while she was dying and she'd take a deep breath when I talked to her so pretty sure she heard me. Never had such a love that would follow me no matter what, even in the house and up and down steps without hesitation. She'd come running to me every time I was near, even sat on my lap a few times. Silly girl. Now I get to focus on the others. You are all so sweet. If it hadn't been for all of you I'd probably just give up with the minis altogether. But I still love who I have left so will keep going and see where it leads....

Oh I'm so sorry! She couldn't have had more love and attention and deserved and I'm sure appreciated, every minute of it. It sounds like her age and lack of care in the past caught up to her and there was probably nothing more you could have done for her. 💔

That's wonderful about Snicker foal, it gives you something amazing to look forward to.

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss Pitter Patter, Cottontail had a wonderful life with you so try to take comfort in the fact that she passed in a home where she was loved and taken care of. Thinking of you.

Pitter Patter, I am so very sorry to read this. I really admire how you kept fighting for your minis, seeking help and advice and going without the help of a veterinarian. Your little horses are all blessed to have you.

Hugs 💕
Mary Flora

Update: Still missing my beautiful little Cottontail. I checked out a gelding but he was massive, like on steroids massive! He was a good boy but more than I wanted to deal with and he went to a woman who wanted him, so I didn't feel at all bad. Met a pony (doubt very much she qualifies for mini but haven't measured). She was from a pony riding ring out west and pretty much left for wild in a field for years. A grandmother, not knowing her history, bought her for her very small grandchildren (ages 1-5) but while she accepted them on her back, she spooked a lot unexpectedly. Then they noticed she is completely blind in one eye(Accident?). She also has a divet about 1/2 inch into the middle of her forehead. Don't know if this is an old injury or she was born with it. So my boyfriend encouraged me to get her as she was left out in the elements without any shelter or blanket and our winters can be really horrid. Brought her home last night. She was terrified. Day one and she's the boss (that was a surprise!). She is so much bigger than my minis but smaller than my Welsh Cobb gelding. So we'll see what happens. She is very timid and shy with people. Anyway, she's melted my boyfriend's heart (mine too!) I don't have any pics of her yet but will post when I do. I think she's a paint? Has blue eye. Any ideas on working with a half blind horse? Can they manage and drive or anything?

Hi Pitter Patter! Your new pony is a very fortunate little lady!

I have 7 minnies and one mini donkey, one mini lost the sight in one eye due to an accident. That was about 5 years ago and he really has done well ever since.

We take him for walks, over hill and dale, so to speak. Pre injury, Tinker had been shown in jumping in hand. This would no longer be possible due to the loss of perspective that one eye brings, but otherwise he has a totally normal life.

I do make sure, however, in walking or approaching anything new or perhaps ‘scary’, that Tinker is stopped and able to look ahead at the Item/place. Then when walking past, I walk on his blind side leaving his good eye a clear field of vision.

Enjoy her and please post a pic when you get a chance! ;)

Mary Flora

Congratulations on the new addition Pitter Patter :)

I have a mare that is blind in one eye (and also a dog). You will be surprised at how well she does. Regarding her blindness, always approach her from the side she is able to see from. There's so many things you will be able to do with her , it will just take time to gain her trust. Grab a bucket and go and sit in the middle of the yard and see if she comes to you. She may do it straight away or it may take some time. Keep us posted on her progress and dont forget the pics :)

Congratulations on your new pony! What's her name? I don't have experience with sight issues so will be interested in following your journey. Looking forward to seeing a picture of your new girl!

Congratulations!!!! So happy for both of you!
Tilly( Fin's mom) is blind in her left eye. It actually took me a while to figure it out. If she's really upset, or excited about getting her feed ( 🤣 ) she might trip over her hay net but no issues handling her on that side. I've known a number of blind and partially blind horses who all do great. Spend the time getting her trust, as I know you will, and there isn't anything you wont be able to do with her that you couldn't if she could see in both eyes, it just might take a little more work, or not, it depends on her. She'll tell you what she's comfortable with and what she needs from you. I even knew a one eyed horse that showed jumper (and did well!) even though they aren't supposed to be able to.
Looking forward to pictures and more updates. :D

Last edited:
Congrats!!
We brought our second mini home last Sunday. Her name is Diva. Her sire is ERL Zeus Lighting Bolt who was a 2009 World Grand Champion Senior Stallion! I'll post some pictures of her when I get a chance, but here is a picture of her in "show mode" ;)
1606256878553.png

Congrats!!
We brought our second mini home last Sunday. Her name is Diva. Her sire is ERL Zeus Lighting Bolt who was a 2009 World Grand Champion Senior Stallion! I'll post some pictures of her when I get a chance, but here is a picture of her in "show mode" ;)
View attachment 42534
She's gorgeous!! Are you planning on showing her or did you just fall in love and have to bring her home?

Welcome to the family Patches ❤

Latest posts

Back