Acorns!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I just saw an interesting thing (and maybe I am really late to the game here, but anyways...) an actual HAY Ball. OMG this is perfect in that they can chase it around to get their hay! I'll still have to feed separately to make sure they all get enough, but what a great boredom buster. I use treat balls a couple of times a week and ALL my animals love it, even the llamas. Has anyone ever tried one of these Hay Balls?

Didn't get a hay ball...LOL..thanks for the thoughts! Pepper continues to grow and grow and grow. Vet says it's sand so they are all getting Sand Clear daily. I know she is constipated as only a little bit of "water" comes out when she pushes. We've been walking, and walking....she only had one minimal poop for me during one walk. I think she may have some sort of blockage? Or acorn damage. But she doesn't seem to be in any pain and just keeps right on eating. Since I seem to have a disinterested vet (and recently paid him over $400 for a visit). I am really hoping I don't have to take matters in my own hands (maybe literally). Any ideas? Tried mineral oil and Sand Clear so far. Along with probiotics and lots of fresh water. The last I remember her really pooping was when vet went to palpate her. Is this going to be what it takes? Maybe just more long walks. Boyfriend says he thinks she's pregnant (LOL...we've all already been through this!). Poor Pepper doesn't trust me anymore, very suspicious of every move that looks like I am going to take a picture, halter her up for a walk, give something horrible like mineral oil. The other horses are coming along and improving. Snickers has lost her udder completely. Hopefully this doesn't stay the same when she delivers (which only God and Snickers know when!).

I agree with Dragon Hill. I've never known a horse that didn't poo while in a trailer. Kind of like why babies fall asleep in a car.

Agreed, a trailer ride normally does the trick. Anything that gets her upset should work. Have you tried trotting her around instead of walking? I always trot them when they lose gut sounds when colicing instead of walking, it works much better. NOT that she sounds like she's colicing but it might help? You could try a nice warm bran mash, when they're not used to the bran it irritates their gut a bit and normally helps keep things moving. If you really want to know if she is pooping, you could lock her up by herself for a few hours, that might upset her enough to get things moving well too.

I don't have a good trailer. It works but I don't feel good about it. Have been looking for a new (used) trailer better suited to mini's. The one I have is a very odd stock trailer. I have been trying to get her to trot. I think she is perhaps the most stubborn animal ever! She will for a few seconds and then stops. She's had some handling before me, but not much I think. She was "just" a broodmare that's had several owners. I don't get why she keeps on eating so much! My neighbors keep asking me if she's having twins...good grief. The one who is really pregnant, no longer looks it visually. I think I will try another dose of mineral oil today and go for a long walk. Hope for nice weather today!(so far we are at 35 degrees.)

LOL!!!! Have you tried going out to their paddock with a lunge whip and encouraging her to go for a bit of a run? You can mix vegetable oil(etc.) with her feed if she'll eat it. A full size horse can only absorb a cup so any extra that's fed goes through them, it might be easier tan trying to get mineral oil into her. Maybe she's just an easy keeper and fat?

Can they handle veg oil? She MIGHT find it a little more tolerable. If she's an easy keeper--yikes! May have a line on a different vet. We'll see.

Yes, vegatable oil, corn oil etc. It is fed to put weight on them but they can only absorb some and the rest goes through and 'lubricates' , hope you have a new vet soon so you can feel better about whatever is going on.

Hi Pitter Patter

You and your minis have really been thru the wringer this summer and I hope life starts to get easier soon!

Our vet recommended adding 1/4 cup of oil to soaked pellets at each feeding to help our mini, Buddy, with weight after dental surgery. It came out to 3/4 cup a day and the manure started glistening after a time as oil was passed through. Buddy tolerated it well and has been doing great.

I bought a 2 quart bottle of corn oil and used it up, may start adding to the Fall feedings as we head into winter....brrr.

Glad to read you may have a line on a new vet, that is such an important professional relationship!

Mary Flora

Can they handle veg oil? She MIGHT find it a little more tolerable. If she's an easy keeper--yikes! May have a line on a different vet. We'll see.

I have fed a smear (1/4 cup?) of cheap cornola or vegetable oil on two big scoops of sweet feed with an apple wafer ('horse candy') daily for years to a 14.5 hand horse. The initial impetus was to improve coat gloss - but honestly, I don't think it does. I am regarded as a person who spoils horses - there's a 2 lb bag of carrots to share round two to six horses most days too.
But my affection stops before considering frequent (or ANY) vet visits. Horses have been around, alive and foraging, long before there were vets. That means that in this Southern climate, there is no horse barn to enclose them either.
On the basis that it takes one to know one, I suspect your affection may have reached excessively expensive levels. The vet has their place, in my view : to castrate a horse when the herd has reached carrying capacity. <g>

Update on my minis. I seem to be without vet help right now. So lovely. I called a highly recommended one and she texted me back and suggested a couple of names (one of them being my regular vet). So I called the other vet, and I have met him before for an emergency several years ago and liked him. So that was yesterday and no response. UGH!!!! So I have been taking a little bit of everyone's advice and trying to figure it all out! I gave them all veg oil....so now they all have diarrhea. My stallion was sick and listless for a couple of days but has started eating again tonight. Pepper is still huge. Snickers is still pregnant (I think!) and my oldster has lost more weight than I would prefer. So now, no more veg oil for a couple of days. In the meantime I saw Pepper bloated up again like a balloon and when she tried to pass stool she strained and only a little bit of water. So I washed up, put on gloves and grabbed the enemas I was saving for a foal (if it ever arrives). Gave Pepper enemas and was successful in getting some stuff out of her. The best part is I though she would bite me but she was very good. We then went on some really long walks and that helped a small bit as well. Now letting their tummies settle a little bit for a couple of days with just hay and see what happens (they are also getting probiotics, etc)

Update on my minis. I seem to be without vet help right now. So lovely. I called a highly recommended one and she texted me back and suggested a couple of names (one of them being my regular vet). So I called the other vet, and I have met him before for an emergency several years ago and liked him. So that was yesterday and no response. UGH!!!! So I have been taking a little bit of everyone's advice and trying to figure it all out! I gave them all veg oil....so now they all have diarrhea. My stallion was sick and listless for a couple of days but has started eating again tonight. Pepper is still huge. Snickers is still pregnant (I think!) and my oldster has lost more weight than I would prefer. So now, no more veg oil for a couple of days. In the meantime I saw Pepper bloated up again like a balloon and when she tried to pass stool she strained and only a little bit of water. So I washed up, put on gloves and grabbed the enemas I was saving for a foal (if it ever arrives). Gave Pepper enemas and was successful in getting some stuff out of her. The best part is I though she would bite me but she was very good. We then went on some really long walks and that helped a small bit as well. Now letting their tummies settle a little bit for a couple of days with just hay and see what happens (they are also getting probiotics, etc)
Wow! This is a lot to deal with, especially without the support of a good vet. I've been following your thread and hoping for a good report soon.

Wow! This is a lot to deal with, especially without the support of a good vet. I've been following your thread and hoping for a good report soon.
Thanks! It helps to know there are others with minis who know more than I do and are supportive. This whole mess sure undermines a person's confidence.

How frustrating, stressful and terrifying, the vets around you should be shot😤.
If everyone but Pepper is looking OK for the most part I'd probably leave them to work their way through anything left that's going on, except Cottontail, I'd be feeding her up.
Is Pepper dehydrated at all? That can cause impactions and you don't want it getting any worse than it is now. I have some that will suck up a really watery feed. Mix some of her pellets with water until it's more like soup. If she'll eat that it will get quite a bit of water into her. Too much water is never a problem, the first thing a vet would do is tube with lots of warm water and oil, so it couldn't hurt anything to try. You said your trailer isn't great but if the floor is safe I'd really recommend putting her in for a bit of a drive around. It won't hurt anything and might get her upset enough to get things moving.
What an awful situation, please keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back