Accident/Injuries caused the boys to be seperated!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreAcres

Reaction score
Well after two weeks of getting along fine, they finally did it. They fought, a fight I didn't see, which left Tango with quite a few injuries and them to be seperated for good.

As I said I didn't see what happened, only the results. Tango has a minor cut on his rear left leg caused from a hoof/kick, two bite marks on his left side, a patch of missing hair and a huge lump/swelling/abcess (???) on the left side of his neck, and a patch of missing hair on his left cheek.

The leg cut and two bite marks were lightly bleeding when I found them. I cleaned, iced, and treated all the marks I could find. I will be starting him on some oral meds in the morning to fight off any infection caused from this "beating". He'll be fine, but their done being pasture pals.
no.gif

Will update tomorrow.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Also, am going to be putting a first aid kit together so would like to know what you all have in yours.

Thanks, Erin

Last edited by a moderator:
OH nuts Erin sorry to hear that. Isn't one of them a gelding and the other a stallion? Sorry I can't remember.

Well this stuff happens. Are you sure it was a fight and not a loose dog or anything? Well anyhow I am real sorry about this. As for my first aid box, well I guess I have about anything you can even begin to imagine with tons of supplies from Walmart pharmacy first aid department. I"ve got leg wraps and any number of topical sauves and sprays usually from Jeffers Equine. Just pull up their medical site and browse. And try the LB mini info pages. I do love aniceptic spray to get in those hard to reach areas so I don't get my heck kicked in treating something in a bad place. Medicated hoof packing is good. I like to keep some stay free mini pads on hand too or gauze. Iodine, you name it, I have it. It's always good to keep some banimine on hand for colic and mineral oil. SMZ tabs are good too and penicillin. I did run out of a few things now that the subject came up so I had better get stocking for winter too.

Marty--

Yes, Tango is a gelding (has been for about 3 months) and Chip is a stallion. Chip is the bigger of the two standing at 36". He towers over Tangos' 28". Tango had actually been boss, until today obvisiously. I am positive it was caused by they fighting/playing/whatever. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow, as it was way too dark to take any tonight.

Marie is giving me some SMZ pills for him to start taking in the morning. Thats the oral meds I mentioned. I am using Bagbalm, peroxide, water/soap, and lanacane spray right now, but am going to stop by a friends tomorrow and see what she has.

Thanks for the suggested items. I will see what I can find at the stores tomorrow.

Erin

Oh darn...

This is a hard one now...Tango still likely has a lot of hormones racing through his system, and may have them for 9 months or so. They may be fine then, but I'm sure you won't feel like taking a risk to find out.

Perhaps they can at least be buddies from opposite sides of the fence...

Susanne--

Yes, things will go back to how they were and they will be fence line buddies.

To be honest, Tango rarely bothered Chip. If Chip stepped outta line, Tango let him know, but other than that, nothing.

I think Chip got excited in this rain/cooler weather and decided he wanted to play, whereas Tango didn't. I would assume things got a little carried away and went to far. I will never know for sure though, as I wasn't there. I can only speculate.

Maybe in time, we will see how things go again. I would love for them to live together, as its so much more healthy for them to have a friend. But for now, they will have limited, or supervised, visitations.

Erin

Aww, that is sad, Erin. I know you were excited for them to be able to play together and be buddies.

Seems that many boys won't ever get along well together, no matter the configuration, but then there are ones that will be alright seasonally, etc.

I think I would err on the side of safety, myself, especially considering the difference in height.

I like Shapley's MTG for helping to keep skin moisturized and hair to grow back in after an injury like that. It stinks, but it seems to help a lot.

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back