Absolutely steaming mad......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alongman

Reaction score
This week, in our area, there was a newborn baby stabbed to death by her teenage (17 y/o) mother. The girl is being charged with murder, but that is little consequence. This decision impacted two childrens' lives. In Minnesota, we have a policy in place that people can leave an infant at a hospital without any questions being asked. I was just curious if this policy is in place in other areas of the country/world.

I'm absolutely sickened by the whole thing - there are so many other options out there. How do we help people put in the position of feeling as though they have no options?

Florida has the same policy but you can also leave the baby with a police officer or at a fire station with a firefighter as well. I don't remember where else and you have only so many days to do it once the baby is born. It sounds to me like that mother had more issues than just the new baby if she thought she had to kill it in that way. I know the policy down here has been used but I have also heard on the news that others are still dumping the baby and leaving it in places as well so it doesn't work as well as I wish it did.

We also have policies regarding this. A baby can be dropped off with law enforcement, firefighters, hospitals and churches, yet we still have people that drop them in dumpsters. I think no matter where you go, or what precautions are in place, there will always be some SICKO that figures that death is the only option. I am with you, Adam, it makes me sick!

Jodi

I don't understand it either. I know someone who would love to adopt a baby. Why in the world kill it. I hope she spends a lot of time paying for this but i am sure she probably won't. And stabbing it over and over again.....

Babies having Babies

You would think that with all the education about aids and birth control available that these kids would use it

Horrible Horrible Horrible

What I wouldn't have given to be able to give that baby a home

I'm definitely with Adam on this! The whole situation just makes me sick! The girl was over weight, parents didn't know she was pregnant, and after giving birth... the girl stabbed the infant 130+ times! IMHO, being a young mother myself, there should've been NO reason why she couldn't have just taken the infant to a hospital and left it so at least it could've lived and had a nice life. There was no excuse for her to take the life of that infant! :no: It just makes me angry when I think someone could do something so horrendous to any child!

Babies having Babies

You would think that with all the education about aids and birth control available that these kids would use it
I totally agree Marty although many still believe that somehow education leads to kids having sex and truly dont educate the way they need to.

Sad very sad all the way around

default_sad.png
:no:

I'll never understand, I just can't comprehend murder, or any other sick acts that many mentally unsound people commit.
default_sad.png

~Karen

This news was so very disturbing to me...I grew up in St Paul, MN and my parents still live there so my mom called to tell me.. There are SO very many people out there that would have loved that little baby like she should have been, so many wanting to adopt. We are still going thru the red tape of adoption and my son's biological mother was just a teen, only 15 years old...I am thankful every SINGLE minute of the day she "did the right thing" .... One trip to the hospital or the church, thats all it would have taken..
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=18pt]We have that policy also. How can someone do that? I love babies. I do foster care for kids 0-7 years old. I have a 3 year old little girl right now that was so neglected she thinks it's oksy to sit in soiled diapers.Because that's what her mom did to her. I can't imagine killing a baby, she should get the death penalty as far as I'm concerned.[/SIZE]

Christy

sounds like she had an aweful lot of rage, more than just wanting to be rid of it or just kill it, to stab it 130 times.. c'mon that's way more than needed to even kill that poor little thing. Sounds like she has SERIOUS issues not just "issues". that's just beyond SICK.

New Mexico has a similar policy. A couple of weeks ago, local news reported about an adult daughter who with her parents, was heading into the U. of NM University Hospital to see a dying relative. As they walked across a parking lot, she noticed a woman sort of 'squatting' next to a vehicle--and the next thing she knew, a baby slid out onto the ground, and rolled under the car! The young woman walking w/ her parents rushed over, retrieved the baby, wrapped it in her jacket, cleared its mouth w/ her fingers, rushed it into the hospital. A little girl, it was doing fine as of the report, thank goodness! The woman who'd had it just left--there were no legal consequences(not in this life, anyway!), due to the kind of policy alluded to in this thread.

I surely agree that anyone of ANY age who would stab a newborn infant is not just immature, but has much more serious issues, and should be held completely accountable! How totally SAD.....

Margo

Last edited by a moderator:
We also have that policy here in Colorado. It's called the Safe Haven Act. I do believe that if there was more education in the schools, as to what is available, there may be less deaths. I do think that I heard in the last couple of weeks, that a bill was passed or in the process of, for educating the school kids on that policy. The education needs to start at home, but the schools can also serve to educate their students since that is where they are at daily. The hospitals can also educate the parent(s) at a babies birth.

It breaks my heart that this has happened here locally, but there has also been some babies turned in. I definitely cannot say this enough. Education, education, education. It may be embarrasing, but that is part of being a parent. If it happens, there are always options. People just need to know what they are. JMHO

I think part of the problem is that while schools DO educate (and so do some parents/guardians), a lot of Children still don't grasp how HUGE an issue it is, and a lot of them are not aware of the fact they can leave their child with law enforcement, etc...

I didn't know about those laws until after I got married in 2003!! Most places seem to have something of the sort.

Another issue could have been PPD (Post Partum Depression) or it's much worse "cousin", Post Partum Psychosis. I've been through PPD- and it was bad. PPP is bad enough that it can cause all sorts of insane reactions- and one of the warning signs listed in the info is usually "thoughts of harming infant or self".

My PPD wasn't bad enough to consider harming anyone- but (sick as it makes me now) I would have handed Nathan to someone else in a heartbeat. My head was seriously screwed up; after starting meds it changed so much. Nathan's my angel, and I can't believe I ever felt like I did.

Honestly, as much as we educate, we (society) don't do the best job in educating. We tell them this and that, but we're still a very repressive society. Now... you show that kid what it's like to have a baby- they'll change their minds. :new_shocked: That's hard work, and thankless until the kiddo is older.

Now I get kisses, and hugs, and snuggles... and he's talking
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: But it's still hard work.

It is sick to think someone could do this to an infant... and I can't understand it, myself. But I only feel pity for the mother, and sadness for the child- if anything, my anger is for those who let the mother slip through the cracks. I can't believe someone didn't notice SOMETHING.

I am saddened about the brutal death of that baby. I know what it is like to be adopted. I was adopted at 4 days old, was brought up in a great home with loving parents who were told they could not have kids. They adopted a boy as well, my older brother Shawn, then miracuously they had a baby boy about 2 years after I was born, my younger brother Ryan. I was spoiled, given a pony when I was 3, and my first arabian horse when I was a week shy of my 13th birthday. My 2 brothers are great and my younger brother has 2 kids of his own now, a boy and a girl. I have thought about finding my biological parents, would love to know who they are even if they don't want to ever see me. That is fine. I have no hard feelings against them and would respect that decision.
default_smile.png

I am saddened about the brutal death of that baby. I know what it is like to be adopted. I was adopted at 4 days old, was brought up in a great home with loving parents who were told they could not have kids. They adopted a boy as well, my older brother Shawn, then miracuously they had a baby boy about 2 years after I was born, my younger brother Ryan. I was spoiled, given a pony when I was 3, and my first arabian horse when I was a week shy of my 13th birthday. My 2 brothers are great and my younger brother has 2 kids of his own now, a boy and a girl. I have thought about finding my biological parents, would love to know who they are even if they don't want to ever see me. That is fine. I have no hard feelings against them and would respect that decision.
default_smile.png
I love your story. I wish that there were more people like you willing to share what a great life you've had! If only it would save one more baby from something so horrible as murder. I wasn't adopted and have never fostered a child, but I can imagine that if I were adopted, I would want to meet my birth parents simply to thank them for giving me the life I currently have.

Iowa has a similar law. This is a sad, sad situation. My daughter would love to have another child but it just hasn't happened, she says she will when God wants her to. And sadly some of these youngsters don't realize the consequences of their actions until it is too late.

That being said, who knows, maybe the baby was the result of a rape or incest and the mother couldn't bear to look at it because the baby brought back the horrible memories. And she reacted in such a violent way to the baby wishing it was the father she was stabing.

hummm i don't know if maine has any laws like that..probably..i can't see why most places WOULDN'T... I'd never even heard of it in other states being a "law"... sounds like education is definatley more called for!

Back