About the AMHA show tomorrow in Rochester Minn.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shminifancier

Reaction score
I have heard that some classes only one horse in some classes nobody is showing?? Wow, don't people in Minn. and surrounding States want to support the AMHA?? Just posing a question..

Hi there,

The show you are asking about is on our schedule. For us it wasn't a matter of supporting the AMHA or not supporting them. We show both "R" and "A" and would show PINTO if their schedule fit into our trainers schedule better.

The reason we decided against attending the Rochester Show was more for the care of our mare. She has been showing almost every week in July and with the heat of the last few shows she needs a rest before Central Regionals. So we pulled her from two shows, Rochester being one of them. I can't speak for others, but that is why we decided against attending. I'm sure it is a very nice show. For us it just wasn't the best time slot in reference to the Central Regionals.

Good luck at the show!
yes.gif

I was trying to organize a new AMHR show here--it would have been held two weeks from this weekend--but had to give it up because we just didn't get enough funding, and there was no one willing to help get it organized. Anyway, I've had people calling from British Columbia and from Lloydminster Alberta, and they said that if the show was running, they would be coming to show. I don't know what our local turnout would have been like, but it was a surprise to have interest from people that far away.

Locally...there were complaints from people because the show was to be AMHR only, and they wanted AMHA. I have primarily AMHR horses and know nothing at all about running an AMHA show--I made it quite clear at the start that if anyone wanted an AMHA show on the 2nd day, they would have to help with the organizing. I got no takers.....what I did get was a snippy e-mail from one party--she pretty much demanded to know who did I think I was, organizing a new show...there was more, but I won't go there as it would sort of give away who that party was. I haven't run into this person since, but will have something to say to her when I do meet up with her.

The interesting thing is--there was a show on at the Morris Stampede last weekend. Saturday was AMHR and had around 25 entries. Sunday was AMHA, and had something like 12 horses entered.

I have to wonder why, when so many people complained about the proposed August show not being AMHA....when there is an AMHA show here, why didn't all these people come out to show?

I've got nothing at all against AMHA shows, but geez, if people aren't going to show anyway, why complain so loudly when a new show doesn't include AMHA??

Well a couple years ago they had some pretty sad stalling quarters/problems with the fair board, no show last year that i am aware of anyway. It takes some time to re-build a reputation maybe. I have showed there but it was about 5 years ago. I hope it will be attended good and grows back into a great show like it was in the past.

The Morris Show conflicted with a large AMHA show in Red Deer, Alberta, might have something to do with the lack of turnout from our area anyway! Some of us Albertans were likely to attend otherwise! I know they can't do anything about that though, it's in conjunction with their Stampede, and the Red Deer show is in conjunction with their fair as well.

Dont know, other then I know I dont show AMHA. Only own 2 horses that are AMHA registured. Makes me wonder what the our Lake Elmo show is gonna be like. Are you comeing over to that?

Is the show at the Fair grounds? We were there a few years back for a cattle show and thee were some issues with the grounds and the County that owns it. Not the most encouraging people to deal with. One barn was so rat infested we left it shut up and just crowded into the others.

I got no takers.....what I did get was a snippy e-mail from one party--she pretty much demanded to know who did I think I was, organizing a new show...there was more, but I won't go there as it would sort of give away who that party was. I haven't run into this person since, but will have something to say to her when I do meet up with her.
I believe I am the person that Holly has again referred to as sending her a "snippy" email. I am not sure what her issue is. My email to her was to ask who was helping her with her show and the reason was so that I did not ask the same people to help with a show in Eastern Manitoba; I don't believe it is fair to try to take helpers away from someone else. I am the only person in Eastern Manitoba who is involved with shows, so I sometimes have to rely on people from the Western part of the province to help me. I have since reread my email to her several times and have also had a couple of other people read it. In no way did it "demand to know" who she thought she was. No one reads it as "snippy", so I am sorry if that is how she read it.

As for the complaints about no AMHA show in conjunction with her show, I was not aware that someone had complained about that.

I invited Holly to PM me to explain what she meant by her comments on a previous thread several weeks ago, but she chose not to, so I'm not sure what she means when she says "I haven't run into this person since, but will have something to say to her when I do meet up with her". I was at both Manitoba shows this year, for both the AMHR and AMHA days. I believe I have only met her once last year when someone introduced us at a show, so I really don't know where this little vendetta is coming from. Holly should not feel threatened by our show which is 170 miles away from her. I would hope that this is the last I hear about this matter on this board. There is no need to blow something out of per portion on a public board when there is no basis for it.

On a more cheerful note, as for the Manitoba Stampede Show, the judges Debbie Maestri-Mooney and Sandy Curl from Florida, and the AMHR Steward, Jackie Davis from Texas were extremely encouraging about the show. They felt that it was well run and that the quality of entries was high. Even though the entries the second day were lower, they gave us high marks for the show and told us not to be discouraged. They gave a valuable clinic on Sunday after the show and answered all questions the exhibitors had. Those AMHA breeders who were not able to come on Sunday had legitimate reasons for not being there, but have sent regrets and have expressed interest in next year's show. The Valley Ag Society has already asked us to start to plan next year's show.

Heather Hart

Back to the original question...why such low attendance at the Rochester AMHA show.

Primarily because people in this part of the country work very hard for every little dollar they have. For the most part, folks in these parts show AMHR. Most can afford one or two shows a month. There are a lot of shows competing for everyone's show budget, and folks have to be very frugal about getting the most bang for their buck.

So...the AMHA shows that are held in conjunction with an AMHR show (such as the one last weekend in Albert Lea) are quite well attended because folks can attend 2 different shows for not much more money. They pay one stall fee for the entire weekend and can get points/recognition in both registries.

However, the Rochester show is held in conjunction with the fair - and county fair boards are NOTORIOUS for being very difficult to deal with...i.e., you get only 5 hours for the show because the hogs need it next, etc. and the fairgrounds management gets really really snippy if you run over your alloted time.

And I for one HATE showing at a county fair. I would MUCH rather haul to a show where there aren't a lot of sticky fingered, poorly supervised little kids mauling my horses, opening my stall doors, standing in my way as I try to get to my class before they close the gate, etc.

., you get only 5 hours for the show because the hogs need it next, etc. and the fairgrounds management gets really really snippy if you run over your alloted time.
Well I was there, and the show ran as long as Any show does About 8 Hours~! So there was NO interference what so ever with the fair....During the Aft the show moved outside to do the performance type classes and only Then After the Dinner Break did any of the other fair goers go and start to use the Indoor arena~! nobody was in any hurry to see us out nor did anybody get hassled...

I haven't been to Rochester, but I hear a lot of people say what Jean B did above, about preferring shows that are held on their own, as opposed to shows that are held in conjunction with fairs. Personally I've always enjoyed shows like ND State Fair, and the Red River Valley fair in West Fargo, and the Brandon show which is in with the Provincial Exhibition. It does tend to be a bit of a pain as far as gate admission, more hassle getting in/out of the grounds due to heavier traffic and fuller parking lots, but once I'm settled in at the show I enjoy the extra people that come through the barns.

Wow, Heather, you sound a little too sensitive--if your e-mail wasn't snippy, why on earth would you think Holly was referring to yours?? As it so happens, she showed me the e-mail she referred to above & it was snippy. Was it yours? Well, no, but I did see that one too & raised my eyebrows....wouldn't have said so if you didn't bring it up. Actually, Holly said she hasn't met you or Rod yet, so you must be thinking of being introduced to someone else? I've been at the Brandon show every year except this one, & I haven't actually been introduced to you yet either.
biggrin.gif
And yes, there were a number of complaints from Manitoba people about the August show not including AMHA. A vendetta? Oh please, that's just too funny. I do know Holly--she isn't into vendettas. This just isn't worth it, and she couldn't be bothered!! Honestly. You really are too sensitive.

I hope that another year some of these shows will increase in entries again, but I don't know--when I look at some of the shows that have folded up in recent years (Valley City ND, Fargo & the one Lake Elmo show this year, just to name 3 that are fairly close to me) I have to wonder if we will see increased entries at the remaining shows. Then there's Ontario, with 4 shows in a row, and they are all well supported from what I hear...

Last edited by a moderator:
The show is over and done with now, but I just saw this post, so figured I would add a comment. I am in MN and I think a lot more people around here - MN/WI/IA show AMHR and not AMHA. We would have gone to this show if it was an AMHR show. As it all worked out, it was better to have a weekend off for us personally anyway, I needed to stay home and work on a few things with our horses and do more conditioning to get some extra weight off plus I took care of a few family things.

I might not have this right, but I think they wanted a mini show and debated about whether to do "A" or "R" and the club members that did most of the work and organizing for this show all do more "A" showing and go to AMHA Worlds and that is what they chose to host locally.

I also agree with Jean

And I for one HATE showing at a county fair. I would MUCH rather haul to a show where there aren't a lot of sticky fingered, poorly supervised little kids mauling my horses, opening my stall doors, standing in my way as I try to get to my class before they close the gate, etc.
I've dealt with the same stuff but since my kids LOVE the atmosphere of the fair shows we continue to do them, but it WAS stressful with so many people coming and going and petting horses without asking permission or asking if their children can "have a pony ride" when you are clearly busy (like standing at the gate about to walk in) or having to watch all your stuff so nothing "walks off" when you are not looking. I've also seen obnoxious unsupervised older kids teasing horses with food and spooking them and laughing when the horses are startled. Last summer a kid came up to us at a county fair show and started stroking one of our horses noses and I was about to ask him to stop and he hauled off and slapped the horse hard and loud on the side of the muzzle. I couldn't believe it! I yelled at him and he mouthed off to me and went running away. I've yet to see stuff like that at a regular show.

I so agree with Jean. I too hate fair shows. I did the illinois state fair one year and have not done it since. The minis get put in the worst stalls. They werent cleaned from the horses before. (my stall had a bag full of needles in it) We got very little warm up ring time because the big horses were in it. We couldnt hear the announcer back in the barns because the speakers didnt work etc etc. Every year i think about going back because its a very inexpspensive show to do (with paybacks) but every year i change my mind when i remember how bad the first time was

kaykay said:
I so agree with Jean.  I too hate fair shows.  I did the illinois state fair one year and have not done it since.  The minis get put in the worst stalls.  They weren't cleaned from the horses before.  (my stall had a bag full of needles in it) We got very little warm up ring time because the big horses were in it.  We couldn't hear the announcer back in the barns because the speakers didn't work etc etc.  Every year i think about going back because its a very inexpensive show to do (with paybacks) but every year i change my mind when i remember how bad the first time was
438112[/snapback]

About the Mini Show held in Rochester, Minn Yesterday~!

THE Fair Had NOT started yet~! There were NO kids hanging around "mauling" horses~! The Fair Did not Start till that evening
biggrin.gif
The Mini show was held Before The fair started
aktion033.gif
...This show was Not held in conjunction with the Fair~!! I Had to add this to clear up the confusion about holding a mini show along with a fair~!
laugh.gif

Well I will be going to the Washington County fair show this thursday. I do like that one and it is decent. I havent had problems with kids, they have all asked to pet first. My crabby mare will stay in the trailer. She has always hated kids and men so I know better then to have her out unless I am showing her. Plus it is early in the morning so that helps.

I do however hate when you do get the bratty kids. Thats when I secretly wish the horse would bite them.
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back