Abortion at 270 days

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attwoode

Reaction score
I went out to feed this evening and one of my three mares was having early labor signs. She was at only 9mo so I new it wasn't a good thing. The foal was not presented properly but fortunately a little repositioning of the head seemed to help and the foal was born dead within the next 15 minutes (30 minutes total) at about 10pm EST. So far everything seemed normal about the foal - almost fully developed, good size, no deformities,about 1/8 to 1/4" of hair on most of the body. Definitely premature and mare was bred only one cycle first week of June 2010. The mare has been slow to pass the placenta, but I'm waiting to examine that further. The only thing I can see so far is that the cord was long and very twisted.

Are there any tell-tale signs of twisted cord vs rhino or other placentitis? What should I be looking for?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know the answer to your question but I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif

The placenta is still hanging there only about 25 % out! My vet is out of town and the other one I've used is not returing my calls. It's been 7 hours and I'm freaking out. No oxytocin here.

The placenta is still hanging there only about 25 % out! My vet is out of town and the other one I've used is not returing my calls. It's been 7 hours and I'm freaking out. No oxytocin here.
I am miles away in Italy but do you want me to ring my vet and ask him????

Im so sorry to hear that , I am really interested in what your vet says as the same thing happened here two days ago . 270 days also and the cord was very twisted , the colt (red and white pinto) had not turned so it was back legs first , she did pass the placents quicklty though , my vet says we may never know cause , its just luck of the draw????

theres no way to know if the twisted cord caused the death of the foal or if the foal was dying and as it struggled caused the cord to twist , she also said there was nothing I could have done to prevent it , so dont beat yourself up

hope your little mare is OK

I am so sorry for your lose. As for the retained placenta I hope your vet has removed it and started treating your mare.

I'm so very sorry. Please start calling around to find an available vet. Also, even small animal vets will have oxytocin. Try pleading your case with whomever does your dogs or cats and see if you can get anywhere. Sending prayers your way.

Oh Vic, I am sorry. I had the same thing a couple weeks of go. My mare at day 263 lost a gorgeous foal and the cord was so twisted. My husband was almost going to clean up the baby without me looking at as he found it. But it needed to so I could tell if there were any signs of what happened and I couldn't believe how twisted the cord was. I hope you have found a vet to come help you......

Thanks for the support. I Finally got another vet to return my call at 5am. He was to be here at 15 minutes ago. Must be running a little late. We really need some good mini vets around here.

Mare seems ok, but gotta get that placenta out ASAP.

Such a shame. Sorry for your trouble
default_no.gif
There will be someone on this forum who might have an idea of what happened. It's troubling when there doesn't seem to be an obvious reason.

Well the vet finally showed up and got the placenta out (10hours after delivering the fetus). He had to pull/twist to get it out and didn't think it would have come out with just oxytocin. It was complete and he administered oxytocin and gave me some for the future. He thinks she'll be fine and just to keep an eye on her for infection and give banamine to help prevent laminitis. He said flushing was not a good idea right now - don't know if I agree.

The vet agreed that the foal was well developed and could not determine cause of death. The cord was twisted dozens of times, but not as bad as some I've seen. Vet said that knowing exactly what caused it may not help with my mgt of the situation since if it was something contagious, the other mares have already been exposed.

Did you vacc. for Rino?

No, I have not been vaccinating for Rhino since not very many horses come and go here (closed herd situation). I don't like giving vaccines unless the risk is clear. If it was Rhino and I lose my other two foals as well, then I guess the risk of not vaccinating is clear. I do other basic vaccinations recommended in my area, but not Rhino.

We had a big discussion on here a few years back about twisted cords and abortion. After many people started telling their stories it was about 9 months gestation, LONG twisted cords. The mares had no further difficulties and went on to have many foals without problems. Sometimes it's just a crapshoot breeding these little guys, it is unavoidable and you are going to lose babies but hopefully not the mares. I have been breeding horses about 35 years, never had problems with the biggies but these little guys are totally different. I had a terrible year last year and lost 3 out of 4 babies(one a twisted cord), broke my heart and stopped breeding.

Experienced breeders go on here every year warning newbies about the problems of foaling out minis. The forum members have been there to help when asked but it is not something to take lightly when you decide to breed minis and much of it is out of your hands such as the twisted cords. There is nothing you could have done to prevent it.

No, I have not been vaccinating for Rhino since not very many horses come and go here (closed herd situation). I don't like giving vaccines unless the risk is clear. If it was Rhino and I lose my other two foals as well, then I guess the risk of not vaccinating is clear. I do other basic vaccinations recommended in my area, but not Rhino.
I have one mare that has had 2 still born foals so I tested her and she resulted positive. (Rhino positive mares can abort or give birth to still born foals)The vets told me that vacc would help prevent this happening again but I would prefer not to risk it so I will not cover her again. Perhaps you could test your mare.

I hope your mare recovers fast.
saludando.gif

Back