A word about those senior horses.........

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
My friends paint passed away at age 26. He was spoiled rotten and lived the good life with her. This is killing me to see her in such pain. It made me take another good hard look at my boy Sonny, 27 years young. Wonder how much longer he really has.

So I'm glad I went back to the house today to get him a bucket of warm water. He didn't need it, its not freezing out, but he loves warm water.

Then I spent an extra hour or so with him fussing over his feet dressing and giving him that extra spray of show sheen on his coat, followed by a handful of pepermint treats.

I could have passed over some of this today; I had a lot of more pressing things on the agenda at work waiting for me. I was late as usual and he didn't need any of this; after all, I did the same thing late last night.

Guess I just wanted to let him know he's still important enough to be fussed with just like in his old show days. I could tell he appreciated the time I spend with him too. When the time comes, I want to be sure there will never be any regrets. I know I"ll be late again tomorrow........

Just saying, next time you walk past your senior horse who's not on the show string anymore, a couple of treats or an extra brushing may not be necessary, but the time spent probably means the world to them.

That's all.

Take care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice post Marty.

I started off with big horses, got my own when I was 9. Like most kids once you hit the later teens, well, they got put on the back burner. I met my hubby, when we were dating and got back on track with my girls around 20. Several years later, after treating them like royalty, they passed, one and a half years apart from one another. I cried for two weeks, every day, several times a day.

The only regrets, well, those teenage years in between. I ALWAYS tell perspective buyers with kids that kids will be kids, buy because you are willing to share them with your kids, the day may come when the adult has to make the choice to place the horse in a more attentive home (or step up to the plate). It isn't always taken so kindly, but it is all too true.

Thanks for the great reminder Marty.

My older one is a 24 year old big horse that I don't ride anymore, but we did take him for a walk down the road recently and he was pretty happy about that! My teen helpers are also good about giving him attention, scratches, and grooming but he can always use more.

We have been trying to do this as well. I dont have as much time as I used to, to be out there but Lori and Emma spend some time out there. I was just looking over the ages as I need to adjust me feed program for a couple of the horses.

I have determined we are the home of the old or the "medical issue" animals.

We have 4 of the 6 horses are getting old. To of the big guys are around 30, the other is 19. I also have a mini that is 20 this year. The mini is in foal for this year and then she will be retired out to just live what time she has left baby free.

[SIZE=10pt]So true! A great reminder.[/SIZE]

Our 27-year old mare, Hemlock Brooks Amber Lace, loves that extra attention. She enjoys being with the other mares during the day, but come evening, she is the first in her stall, and demands her grain!

If we don't get there fast enough, she "scolds" us with deep humming whinnies, so always gets an extra brush and pat. Horses like that who have had human attention and handling during their lives just seem to crave that extra closeness with people. I've got one of those Soft Touch Massage brushes and give her a little massage and grooming about once a week (weather permitting!). All the mares love coming into the grooming room and will literally line up and wait their turn for their "beauty treatment".

My Mulita (Foundation Falabella) is 28 this year and she is such a hoot..she knows that if she doesn't want to go out of the barn area in the morning with all the other horses that she will get to stay in and get extra attention. She loves her Triple Crown Senior/Lite mixture and her Timothy Orchard Grass low sugar hay. When she does go out the first thing she does is lays down and takes a good roll. She still loves a good run with the herd and has such a gorgeous trot. I have owned her since she was 15 and also own her last foal that came with her. No one was ever able to handle her until she came here and I started speaking Spanish to her..she responded and I am still the only one that can handle her easily. Her sire Napoleon lived to be in his early 40's (There is a statue of him at the Falabella ranch in Argentina or so they say) and I hope that Mulita follows in his footsteps.
default_wub.png

I lost my 30 yr old mare a few years ago,got her in her 20's,she was the best horse i'v ever met. They have alot to offer and alot of love
default_wub.png
. Nikki helped me through some really tough times,and she loved to hug me. My husband teased me that I gave her more massages than him,lol.I'v had lots of aged horses and ponies over the years,I cherished every day I had with them
default_yes.gif

default_wub.png
Thanks Marty. Fiesta is 20 this year and still a pretty spry ole' boy that can still do the two-step (thats him this past week in the avatar) Poppy LOVES his apples and they have to be cut up just right and his warm mash 2x a day
default_rolleyes.gif
and his favorite mare next to him and the special stall with the view outside(can ya tell he is special)LOVE the young at heart!
default_saludando.gif

default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
Beautifully said....thanks for the reminder.... I LOVE my older horses...I do go and give just them treats and lovin'...but I could do it more often.....

I've got a 22 year old Arabian mare here who was the 3rd foal out of my very first Arabian mare. I bred her and sold her as a baby and she went out and racked up a lot of miles as an endurance horse. As she got older, her other owner and I have more or less traded her back and forth. Her other owner is always in shock that Sir's Pride is such a babysitter trail horse with me, as she's an opinionated and sassy competitor. I just think that Pride and I have some sort of understanding. She is a lot like her mother was, and I owned her mother from the time she was a yearling. Pride is currently in foal, and sill a sprightly minx.
default_wub.png

Usually she's been out in a group corral, but when we started getting heavy rain Sunday I moved that group into covered corrals. I don't think I've had her in this particular group of corrals before. (Just setting the stage here...)
default_wink.png

This morning when I fed, I opened her corral door, and filled her bucket. Then I saw something that looked like a person's flip flop shoe in her corral and reached to pick it up. Seeing the opening, she took it and bolted up the hill full speed ahead!!
default_new_shocked.gif

We have 2+ acres, her corral is at the bottom and she ran charging up to the top of the hill. I just stood and watched her, and then went back to feeding the rest of the horses. Sure enough, after checking things out up the hill, AND after she was sure that she was getting NO reaction from me, she came prancing back down the hill, popped herself into her corral and stood with her head in her feed bucket as if she'd never been gone! I was just grinning at her spunky old self.
default_biggrin.png

Thanks Marty, as you know my daughter lost her 6 year old gelding a nice palomino quarter horse. Melada our 20 year old Paso Fino lost her friend, she is doing OK but does need more attention now than ever.
default_no.gif

Thanks for the reminder

You never know what tomorrow will bring. Mom and I wonder everyday if today is the day... Buckeroo turns 32 this May. Honestly we both said we hope he goes quick. I hate to see them get old. Mom talked about buying a defribullator just in case as most old stallions will die while breeding. Needless to say we haven't. We decided only to breed the mares that were most important to us and to not over use him at his age. However- those are his happiest days. He knows when he gets to breed. He watches the mares come in and out of the barn and he gets thrilled.
default_new_shocked.gif
We recently brought a group of mares in to begin foal watch and his energy levels have increased and the his eyes light up as he watches them in the arena. He also has his girlfriend Alice- Cratty Dynamic Gal- if she goes out of her stall- he has a fit and starts nickering. She could care less about him
default_rolleyes.gif
But that is what keep him happy- having that constant input of th eladies. he could really care less about us. He has never been one to want rubs and kisses.

One of the oldest horses we have had on the farm was my sister's Morgan. Zac passed 2 years ago at 35. We were all on vacation and the girl wathcing the farm called and said- I don't know what to do..... He died one night and his budy Spook (a cremello quarter horse) of 28 years old stood right next to him in the barn- all night and the next day. You could tell he was mourning. After Zac was buried- Spook was a wreck. He would not bond up with the ponies or minis. He cried for his old friend and ran around looking for him. They had been together almost 20 years. We found a retired thoroughbred and brought him home. Bob had his own flare ot him. At first they didn't like each other, but now they are closer. It is a love hate relationship, but you can tell Spook accepts him and tolerates him just to have a buddy his own size.

On another post they were asking how to remember the lost ones. We have a memorial and we order a leather halter with a name plate for them when they die. We hang it on the fence. Several of the more well known minis are here- Johnstons Vanilla, Buckeroo 2nd, Komokos Teenie Jeanie, Cross Autumns Shavone, Komokos Little King Supreme, East Acres Golden Jubilee, etc. We started doing that about 8 years ago. Before that we would bury them and say our good byes and tell God to please take care of them. Some people give donations in honor of old horses- especially to the retirement farms or a perpetual trophy in their honor at a show. I think those are nice ways to carry their names forward.

Thanks for the tears I started. When you have life, you have death but remember all the great times in between!

Robin-LKF

Great reminder Marty! My last remaining "big" horse turned 37 this year! His front teeth are worn down till they're above his gumline. Somehow he manages to keep going though! Last Spring he wasn't doing so well and I thought I'd have to put him down. My neighbor with the back hoe said he could dig the hole now but wasn't sure if he could in our rock hard(and rocky) soil later in the summer....so we dug the hole. Joe went over and inspected it(it's acutally in his pasture) and has been doing fine ever since!
default_biggrin.png
I feel bad that he doesn't have another big horse with him that can scratch his back for him; so I go out ever so often and just scratch his back until his lip curls! He does like hanging out by the fenceline near "his" girls and my mini mares seem to like hanging out with him also.
default_wub.png

default_wub.png
default_worshippy.gif
(((((Marty)))))

My Arab Spyderman just turned 33 on the 12th of January and I always feel guilty that I don't seem to have enough time for him these days. When I had him up front for the farrier yesterday I realized that he hasn't been off the property for a walk since at least November, possibly longer!
default_new_shocked.gif
Poor old man. I keep asking him if he's ready to go as his quality of life has been going downhill recently but he seems to take his new job as "Grandpa" to the yearling mini pretty seriously and has found a new happiness with his own little herd of mini-ons. He never did actively like our other big horse but has doted on Kody since the day he got here and seems to have a soft spot for the little guys in general. With two of them to interact with and watch over across the fence he doesn't seem to miss me so much but I know he'd like some lovin' even if he is too lame and sore to go for walks anymore. He and I have made our peace; he doesn't begrudge me my time after all these years. His Reiki worker says "He doesn't worry about who's #1 in your life- he knows he's your heart-horse!"

I think it's so important with our older animals to let them really live even if it makes them sore the next day. Each day could be our last...live like it. Love like it. Enjoy every minute!

Leia

This is a beautiful thread with wonderful stories. Thankyou to Robin for that very personal insight on Buckeroo and what keeps him going strong. Here on our small farm we have two very old Quarter Horses. Kona turned 30 this year and Sonni turned 25. My children have grown up with these horses and have learned a great deal from them. My daughter still rides Sonni and he does love to go. Kona on the other hand has severe arthritis so she's not ridden any more, which is fine with her. They are family to us. I love to sit and watch them. I am still in awe of their beauty. They still fly like the wind with tails held high. They love their treats and belly rubs. Like most here on this forum our lives revolve around our horses. To have them here at this age in the excellent health that they are in thrills me to no end.
default_wub.png

Thanks for the nice story. A good reminder for me to not take things for granted
default_smile.png

Some of ours really love the extra attention
default_wub.png

Take pictures! I just lost my 29 yr old Arab in Oct - mom & dad gave him to me as gift when he was 2 - he came before my husband! 8:00 breakfast he was acting fine, 12:30 we found him down, his vet who has worked on him since I got him helped him cross the Rainbow Bridge. I retire the barn halters of those we have lost and hang them in the barn, stall door, etc along with a page I make from my publishing program framed. I try to find a photo of when I got that horse and my most current photo and write up a short memory. I looked for his current picture - knew I had taken one last summer... His stall mate was in my file and I had one of all 16 minis - but none of him! 2 yrs ago was my most current and he was a grey, getting flea bitten again. I just sat down and cried again.

It's hard but keep some tail! Didn't think of it with the first mini we lost. I know a lady in MN who makes beautiful horse hair jewelry. She is currently working on a necklace for me and a key chain for his vet. Have bracelots made from 2 others.

Latest posts

Back