A very disturbing story in local newspaper

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniforFaith

Reaction score
Hello, I just read this story threw the online version. It is so sad, and I am completely upset by this. :no: It is in Ohio, but no more than 20 min. from my house. Why didn't the humane society do something sooner??
default_thumbdown.gif
: I wish I had more experience and more finanical capiabitlies to adopt/ rescue this poor pony :cold: . I pray that these people get what they deserve.. They should be starved!!! I just want to go there and bring him/her home..Why does this have to happen??

http://www.starbeacon.com/homepage/local_story_054071543

Last edited by a moderator:
That is very sad. What puzzles me, though, is how--if officials were monitoring the situation on this farm--how did these horses get to the point of dying of starvation? I realize they cannot visit the horses daily, but even so--"wasting away to nothing" as the one young, dead horse is described does not happen overnight.

Very sad! :no: Makes me want to just beat the tar out of people like that! I also can't understand for the life of me HOW the animals disapeared and THEN AFTER the humane society noticed that they had all disapeared that they should investigate the issue again!!! GRRR! People like that make me mad!

That is just awful.
default_sad.png
Those poor horses, what a horrible way to go... :no:

:no: [SIZE=14pt] just awful...what is wrong with people...sounds like maybe the monitors weren't monitoring enough
default_frusty.gif
: Nikki
[/SIZE]

:no: people...

Excuse me but until you have heard the whole story on this one please don't judge. I personally do know the whole story and those horses were put into those circumstances by , not the owner, but our own law system. And the humane society was not monitoring those horses for a year but only since Dec 06, because of a circumstance the owner was put into and those horses were healthy at that time.

But what is really sad, the humane society that claims to care for an animal let these horses get into this condition because they didn't have the balls to step up and help them when they were ask.

Now as for the three horses that were found dead, the owner reported several times to police that she thought her horses were being poisoned but do you think they would investigate, no, and that her horses were being taken from the property because she would go out and find her fence cut and some of the horses with different halters on.

And the dead horses were paid to be buried but the person paid neglected to come and do his job.

Again, don't judge until you have heard the whole story, because there is alot more going on here than is being reported.

:no: Sorry, but how are we to know the whole story, if this is what is in the paper.. Don't jump people for not knowing... I just said it was sad.. And by the way that pony looked it was someones fault!!!!!!!!! I don't care if the humane society didn't jump in on time or not, if you are a responsible owner, this would have never happen.. Give them to someone who will feed them, if you have too.. I know no matter how much I paid for a animal, if I didn't have the money to feed it, I would find someone who could.. It is very sad. Have the people involved starved? I think not..

In many cases a humane society's hands are tied... you cannot just walk onto someone's property and take animals... you need warrants. You need to post notices. You need to jump through assorted hoops. You need the police to help. Pointing at the humane society when that owner was at fault is blame run amok.

I personally do know the whole story and those horses were put into those circumstances by , not the owner, but our own law system. And the humane society was not monitoring those horses for a year but only since Dec 06, because of a circumstance the owner was put into and those horses were healthy at that time.But what is really sad, the humane society that claims to care for an animal let these horses get into this condition because they didn't have the balls to step up and help them when they were ask.
You said you did not know the whole story - and yet the Humane Society is to blame for someone starving their horses?? Does the owner not have a telephone? She could not make arrangements for someone else to feed them?? Other horses disappeared... where to???!! Horses do not waste away and die like that overnight... she had time to change the situation. If she cared to.

If the police failed to respond to every one of this woman's complaints - they may know more than we do. Someone poisoning her horses? Coming in and putting different halters on them? That does not make sense.... maybe Someone was trying to rescue some of them - or maybe the owner is a bit paranoid. A necropsy will show whether the horses died of starvation & neglect - or poison. It sounds like an awful lot of convenient excuses - right down to "someone else" supposed to bury horses that should not have died in the first place....

Put the blame where it belongs. On the owner.

As I stated before, don't judge until you know the whole story, not just what is printed in the newspaper which all of us know is blowed out of proportion most of the time.

This woman is a very responsible owner and a person who has taken in several neglected horses to rehabilitate and now because of her divorce circumstances is being made out to be a bad person because she wasn't allowed to sell, give away or even give these horses away for fostering to save them.

THis was a court order that she couldn't do anything with these horses or she would be in contempt of court, now you tell me, who is to blame?

How would you feel knowing your animals were starving and you couldn't do anything about it, noone cared enough to help, until the time came that it would make you look like you were to blame because of what was happening to them.

The Humane Society knew she had no income to take care of these horses Dec 06, but do you think they would help, no, they waited till they looked like Buffy to step in, and that made the owner look they were the bad person, when in fact it is our court system that created the circumstances these horses were put in.

And by the way, Buffy is a 32yr old horse, who has always been sway back, her eye injury is several yrs old, due to an injury caused by barb wire and yes the vet was called the same day it happened. So if any of you own that old of a horse you know how hard it is to keep weight on them and then being put into the circumstances she was made it even worse.

So again, don't judge until you know the whole story, and even now I can't tell it all. But I know that no matter what I say it will just go in one ear and out the other with some.

I get on here alot but because of how abusive some get on here I don't even post, but in this case, I know alot more than all of you ever will.

[SIZE=14pt]i have to ask...there was no way for her to bring them hay or for her to have someone else do it for her if she wasn't allowed to? if no one was taking care of them or checking how would they (authorities) have known she was throwing them some hay to prevent them from starving? just wondering.[/SIZE]

piney, thank you, I do have a better idea now how this came about. The claims of poisonings and different halters & missing horses now make more sense too, just reading between the lines. That's really a shame, and it seems these horses were wronged by so many people.

I think that before I let my horses starve to death because of a stupid court order I would have 1) given the horses away to persons unknown and let myself be in contempt of court 2) had them euthanized just before the court order was put in place, or for that matter just after even though that would also mean being found in contempt or 3) call various news crews about the situation and have them come out and do a story about how a court order was preventing the horses from being sold or given away even though there was no means of providing feed for them...that authorities were forcing the horses to starve to death--make a big enough public stink and people would get concerned.

I couldn't live with myself if I let my horses starve, no matter what the circumstances.

iluvwalkers

She wasn't allowed to sell, give away or fosters them out or even take them out of the county.

Her uncaring husband left her in Dec 06 with $20 in checking, a house that later she found out hadn't had a payment on for a yr, a barn started but not finished, and no way to support herself or son.

She was hurt badly last yr in a horse accident, almost lost her foot, in a wheelchair and noone to turn to for help with the horses.

A friend was letting her charge hay but with those bills mounting that soon ended, another friend let her move them to his stable so they would have shelter but then again if you don't have the money to buy feed and can't sell them what could she do.

Like I said, alot of things going on that noone could even amagine, but yet she is being made out to be the bad person.

She wanted to go to the news media and tell her side of the story but her lawyer told her she couldn't. Why ? Who knows.

But I do know that now the story has hit the media and people that know her knows what is really going on, but didn't until now are stepping up and going to bat for her.

And yes, it is a sad day when animals have to pay for things like this.

Thank you minimor for at least trying to understand the circumstances this woman and her animals were put into.

Believe me, if she knew before hand her animals would have to suffer because of an uncaring spouce things would have been different.

But now that things have come to this and people know what is happening and know what kind of person she is, maybe things will turn around for her.

And, I'm like everyone on here, we care deeply for our animals, no matter what breed and to hear of something like this happening, we are to quick to judge before knowing all the facts.

Yes, I know, we can only go by what is printed, and I'm sorry anyone thought I was being nasty, but I'm too close to this one to let anyone tear down this woman.

This woman is the type to be the first to step up if she thought an animal was being abused in any way, give you the shirt off her back and has many times.

Latest posts

Back